ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80 splay?  (Read 10404 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Danley SM80 splay?
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:15:51 AM »

When using two per side are you guys following the box angles or how are you finding you should splay the boxes? Seems pretty extreme if filling box angle. Trying out two per side outside on the 4th, I'll play with it but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions based on trial and error.

Thanks!

Peter Morris

Re: Danley SM80 splay?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »

When using two per side are you guys following the box angles or how are you finding you should splay the boxes? Seems pretty extreme if filling box angle. Trying out two per side outside on the 4th, I'll play with it but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions based on trial and error.

Thanks!

Danley has a great little piece of software you can down load for free and have a look at whats happening.

Here is a plot at 40 + 40 degrees @ 1000Hz - as you can see as soon as you start to array the boxes there will be a few issues.  Most boxes will behave like this expect for things like L- Acoustic's ARC's and other constant curvature arrays.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:49:33 AM »

Thanks!
The Sm80s don't array as well as the other arrayable Danley products.

It was designed/intended as a stand alone box.

Yes it is cut at the proper angle (40*), but due to the driver used, you physically can't get the drivers close enough together (with relation to wavelength) to have a really nice smooth coverage.

It was also cut on an angle to reduce the size/weight and to keep the back volume small for a sealed box that has a gentle rolloff.

What I have found by playing with them arrayed and listening (I have not played in the Direct modeling with them) is to have the fronts touching and the back kicked apart a little.

About a  vertical fists worth of distance is a good starting point-around 3"

This is opposite of what you do with other boxes that are not cut at the correct splay angle.

What you end up doing is creating an overlap in the patterns.  So the overall coverage will be less than the 160*

Yes you can hear it with noise, but I doubt many people will hear it with music.

It is all a matter of compromise
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »

I often use them hardpacked against each other if I need very wide coverage, and this works very well. I've even had a set of "forks" made specially for this (not for mounting on a regular speaker stand!)

A little dip in the highs right down the middle, so it might be a good idea to take the backs of the cabinets apart by a little as Ivan suggests.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I use Direct a lot and love it for design. I was more looking for the descriptions like above of physically how guys are packing them. Like touching in the front, a fist width or more in rear, etc.
We'll play with it Monday, I'll let you know what we find.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I use Direct a lot and love it for design. I was more looking for the descriptions like above of physically how guys are packing them. Like touching in the front, a fist width or more in rear, etc.
We'll play with it Monday, I'll let you know what we find.
And when all else fails-LISTEN.

A particular situation may need a different solution than the models tell you.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »

I have used two per side by stacking them vertically per Ivan's suggestion. Maybe Ivan could chime in on the implications of using them in that way.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

I have used two per side by stacking them vertically per Ivan's suggestion. Maybe Ivan could chime in on the implications of using them in that way.
You could "stack and splay" them.

You will now introduce a new "problem" into the overall situation.

The signal arrival from the top cabinet will be slightly different than that from the bottom cabinet.

The notch at which this would appear will change with distance from the cabinets.

But it might overall be better than side by side.

I can't comment-since I have not tried it that way.  Sorry.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:21:25 PM »

Sounds good. I'll play with it, can't have worse interference than the 650 rig we were using.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »

I heard a pair of 80s splayed at the Danley shop and while not perfect, as the software indicates, the overlapping coverage sounds WAY smoother with the horn design than any pair of standard 2 way cabs I have used.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:35:10 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.