ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karray KH4  (Read 2435 times)

John Chiara

Karray KH4
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »

Heard a system for the second time and today had the time to walk an open field with a stage for an outdoor concert. Heard the system a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed but didn't have the opportunity to mentally measure it out. It was 3 KH4 units over 2 QSC 2x18 subs per side.
A picture came into my mind after a few laps around the listening area. The overall tone of the system changed every few feet. Unlike a horizontal trap array...which I have used in this same space many times, where it gets louder as you get closer but since you are in the same box pattern, the tone doesn't change much..as you walk towards the Karray speakers everything fluctuates with every few steps. Everything from 200-700 seemed to ebb and flow as I walked towards the array. The high end sounded like a big Bose L1. Very rolled off and not dynamic. Horizontally I noticed a big lack of any kind of stereo imaging. There was a spot I could stand where the vocals were in both speakers...to my ears...and if I took 1 step to the right...the vocals completely shifted to the right speaker and I had no apparent level from the left. Furthermore... This same one step 'shift' held true to almost 200 feet out!! So if you were off center by even a few feet...the music and vocals appeared to come out of the speakers and not from the stage.
I am going to a Karray demo on Thursday to hear new models. I will post my impressions.

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
Re: Karray KH4
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »

Heard a system for the second time and today had the time to walk an open field with a stage for an outdoor concert. Heard the system a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed but didn't have the opportunity to mentally measure it out. It was 3 KH4 units over 2 QSC 2x18 subs per side.
A picture came into my mind after a few laps around the listening area. The overall tone of the system changed every few feet. Unlike a horizontal trap array...which I have used in this same space many times, where it gets louder as you get closer but since you are in the same box pattern, the tone doesn't change much..as you walk towards the Karray speakers everything fluctuates with every few steps. Everything from 200-700 seemed to ebb and flow as I walked towards the array. The high end sounded like a big Bose L1. Very rolled off and not dynamic. Horizontally I noticed a big lack of any kind of stereo imaging. There was a spot I could stand where the vocals were in both speakers...to my ears...and if I took 1 step to the right...the vocals completely shifted to the right speaker and I had no apparent level from the left. Furthermore... This same one step 'shift' held true to almost 200 feet out!! So if you were off center by even a few feet...the music and vocals appeared to come out of the speakers and not from the stage.
I am going to a Karray demo on Thursday to hear new models. I will post my impressions.

thanks for the review,

i think the shifts are because of the multiple drivers spraying sound all over, creating comb filtering.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »

thanks for the review,

i think the shifts are because of the multiple drivers spraying sound all over, creating comb filtering.

I am meeting today with the company's former system tech. He believes the system setup is compromised. Out to the Warped Tour today to hear new KArray setups.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.