ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante FOH Talkback and PFL for Headless Mixer  (Read 1946 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Dante FOH Talkback and PFL for Headless Mixer
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 11:40:30 AM »

Merging Technologies makes a RAVENNA "virtual audio device" that is AES67-compatible, which they distribute on a freemium model.
It's hard to tell if there's actually a free version that works on Windows without any Ravenna/Merging hardware?

Interestingly, Merging Technologies actually FOSS-ified the ALSA driver for their virtual RAVENNA device several years ago so that it could be included in the Linux kernel, but kept the userspace utilities under a restrictive license to maintian the freemium model. Almost inevitably, someone has now written a replacement FOSS userspace, so you can (at least in theory) use AES67 on Linux without any of the normal freemium restrictions (it looks like it'll even run on an RPi).

-Russ
Very interesting indeed! I'll probably experiment a bit with this when I get back. It would be easiest to stick with Windows, but I have plenty of linux hardware too.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 03:41:43 PM »

It's hard to tell if there's actually a free version that works on Windows without any Ravenna/Merging hardware? {...}

Huh, I guess not; sorry! It looks like the Mac one can be had without paying (although finding that information is difficult), and the basic ALSA drivers are available without cost, but it looks like all of Merging's ASIO drivers require their hardware. Weird.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 03:41:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.