ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting consoles  (Read 7001 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Lighting consoles
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 08:32:04 am »

I don't find touch screens to be a good substitute for plentiful faders. Wings are expensive though they should be less do with all the audio desks these days. Once you add a wing you are now in the multi thousand $ world.

We need some mass market fader banks that the software products could support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Martin M-Touch wing is less than $500.  There are ways to add additional faders via MIDI control, and there are a lot of MIDI controllers around. 

There's a definite learning curve between a desk designed for dimmers only or blinky pars and a real system like M-PC/M-Touch or the Chamsys stuff, but they are the difference between a shovel and a Bobcat in terms of getting work done.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:35 am »

The ETC SmartFade Series gets close, but for the ML variant you're still pushing 2K. 
I've been a SmartFade ML owner for the last 5 years and just got into M-PC/M-Touch this year.  There's no doubt that the SmartFade is easier to learn than a full console package, but I can get WAY more done with the 10 faders (touch strips) on the M-Touch plus executor buttons on screen than the 24 faders of the SmartFade ML.

BTW, I would not recommend the SmartFade at this point now that ETC has replaced them with the Colorsource consoles. http://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/ColorSource/Consoles.aspx

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:02 am »

So, what touch screens are people using with these software controllers? I have a chamsys dongle but it was always a pain with a mouse or worse yet, touchpad.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:36:59 am »

So, what touch screens are people using with these software controllers? I have a chamsys dongle but it was always a pain with a mouse or worse yet, touchpad.

There are a lot of touchscreen laptops these days.  I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, which works well.  If I was buying from scratch I would try to get a larger touch screen laptop.  I think the HP Spectre 360 15.6" machine is a great choice for this, though there are cheaper options that would work fine, too. 

If you are using this as a single-purpose machine (which is definitely best practice), you don't need to pay extra for extra CPU, RAM or storage - the bottom model of the range will be just fine.

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:37 am »

I'm using an HP all in one desktop with a 24" touchscreen. I don't need portability.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 04:48:13 pm »

I use an almost 10 year old Toshiba Tablet PC (think of the ones that pivot the screen around).  It works just fine, though one of these days I'm going to make the jump from MagicQ to Nomad, seeing as my physical board runs the ETC Cobalt server.  At that point I'll retire the Toshiba, borrow one of my big board's 23" Touch Screens, and use that with a micro PC or the Nomad Puck. 

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 04:09:21 am »

Update: I didn't have time to read through any of this before I made my purchase. Although I really do appreciate all the input that's been given. I was looking into the Showdesigners but couldn't get myself to buy something with that small of a screen in 2016. I ended up going with the ShowXpress unit.

I bought a 17" Asus touch screen last year, it came with Windows 10. It's been a pain to install most audio software and getting the lighting controller application installed was just as difficult.

After a couple hours of fussing I got the software installed, patched all my fixtures with the presets and grouped some fixtures. To my surprise the unit showed up early today and I got to plug in some lights. Everything popped up where it was supposed to and it just worked.

I'm a little bothered that they don't have any sort of controller for it. I suppose I can plug some sort of generic midi and get basic functions. But I'll see how much i actually need it with the touchscreen.

Again, thanks for the responses guys, I'll post some pictures from the gig next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 01:08:19 pm »

Another update. The show went well, one of my buddies in the other band had a "lighting designer friend" that actually turned out to know a thing or too. She was a great help and took on the roll of the LD after I patched everything. The system works well for what we need to do.

Again thanks for the info. Here's some crappy pics from last night off my iPhone. If I come across anything better I'll post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Garris

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 05:11:34 pm »

I'm using an HP all in one desktop with a 24" touchscreen. I don't need portability.

Which software, John?

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:33 pm »

Which software, John?

GrandMA on PC. Not cheap but a lot less than the consoles.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:33 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.