ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AC power drops - cabling question  (Read 6446 times)

Brian McMahan

Re: AC power drops - cabling question
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »

And thank you, TJ, for the link.  Wasn't aware of Stage Lighting Store previously.

Note to newbies:  The connectors TJ suggests cost less than half of what I paid for Pass & Seymour 'LeGrand' plugs (at my local Home Depot).  Also, the questionable strain-relied experience I referenced concerns a different type of Hubbell plug.

Brian

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:18 AM »

Thank you, TJ.  I remember reading that... now.   :P

Just put a Pass & Seymour 5-20 on the loose end of this coil.  The collar on the connector is not happy with jacket's OD.

Can anyone recommend a good SEOOW + plug combo -- ie, for 12/3 + 20A use?  Or the same for SOOW?

WireAndCableToGo is telling me that:

SOOW ~ 0.595 inches OD
SEOOW ~ 0.592 inches OD

So I guess I need to come up with a different connector, either way.

I've used some Hubbell 5-20 connectors on 10/3 SJOOW cable... which would work in terms of outer-diameter mating... but the lack of strain relief seems like a no-no.

?

I just started using a Pass and Seymour (Legrand) model PS5366-XGCM (5-20p).  I'm REALLY happy with them. 
http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/plugs-and-connectors/straight-blade-specification-grade/gcm/plugs/ps5366xgcm.aspx#.V2_xdVdlmRs
There is a PDF online with many choices - straight, angled, twistlock, etc. etc.  Basic black and white.

The LED indicators built in indicate:Green - Grounded and properly wired
Red or Red and Green - open ground, reverse polarity
No Indicator - Open Hot, Open Neutral, and Ground reversed.

I'm using it on 10ga SEOOW cable - No need to wrestle the 10 ga conductors or the larger 10ga jacket into the plug. Everything fits beautifully and a VERY good strain relief.  12ga will be even simpler.  I like lights, and these are visible, but very unobtrusive. While it will not detect RPBG, it will detect SOME faults and give proof power is getting at least as far as that.  Use NCVT and METER those outlets, though!

BTW, I also find the SEOOW slightly lighter (in weight) than the SOOW. Flexibility at room temp is consistent with the rubber SOOW.

frank

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »

And thank you, TJ, for the link.  Wasn't aware of Stage Lighting Store previously.

Note to newbies:  The connectors TJ suggests cost less than half of what I paid for Pass & Seymour 'LeGrand' plugs (at my local Home Depot).  Also, the questionable strain-relied experience I referenced concerns a different type of Hubbell plug.

Brian

Just a general comment regarding big box stores.  As an electrical contractor, there are things I have learned that the big box stores will do good on price wise- my trade suppliers can't compete.  These are the things you see in ads-romex/breaker panels, etc.  Other things, especially when it is apples to apples quality wise, can often be had cheaper at trade suppliers.  It is not unusual to see cut wire double what a trade supplier will charge-and some things you only buy by the roll can be purchased cheaper by the foot and you only have to buy what you need.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.