ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL5 with TIO  (Read 7895 times)

Tim Harrigan

Yamaha QL5 with TIO
« on: June 22, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »

Hello all,
Have a client that wants to install a QL5 with 4-6x TIO1608 units.  Previously only 3x TIO units could be used but with firmware v4 is this now possible?  Thought I read it somewhere but cannot find it now. 
Also - anyone directly compared the sound of RIO and TIO? Realize this is rather subjective but opinions are welcome.
Thanks
Tim

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: Yamaha QL5 with TIO
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »

Hello all,
Have a client that wants to install a QL5 with 4-6x TIO1608 units.  Previously only 3x TIO units could be used but with firmware v4 is this now possible?  Thought I read it somewhere but cannot find it now. 
Also - anyone directly compared the sound of RIO and TIO? Realize this is rather subjective but opinions are welcome.
Thanks
Tim
Hi Tim,
We picked up a single Tio1608 to go with our QL5 and it works well. I did a very non-scientific listening test between the onboard QL preamps (= to Rio) and the Tio preamps. The written specs are exactly the same, so much so, that I called Yamaha to ask what the actual differences are. This is what I was told:
Tio cannot do 96k (neither can QL or CL, so that doesn't matter)
Tio cannot do gain sharing
Tio does not have digital inputs (aes/ebu)
They are NOT the same preamps, but listening tests through headphones and through live speakers could only discern a VERY slight difference in the self noise, and nothing else. They are equally quiet, but their idling hiss sounds slightly different. Not better or worse, just different.
The gain is the same, so when your gain is set to -30 on the onboard preamps, it is the same level as the gain setting of -30 on the Tio. It really does operate like an extension of the console.
From my understanding, the Tio can be run in multiples up to three for the TF series consoles in  the "Quick Config" mode. This limitation does not apply to the CL or QL series, as there are instructions in the user manual for addressing the units, and the instructions detail the configuration of more than three units (12 to be exact).
Hope this helps.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Yamaha QL5 with TIO
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.