ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New console decisions  (Read 9013 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: New console decisions
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »

The X32 is on rider lists because it's been proven to be a reliable and functional system. There are thousands upon thousands of them out in the field.  Anyone that's done even a bit of sound work has likely come across one at some point.  While there are better options, it's a good system for most small to mid sized acts today.

The TF5 is a new player in the game, and as such hasn't made it to many riders yet since very few techs have had a chance to put their hands on one.  If you're looking to get a console that everyone is familiar with, the TF5 isn't the right choice today.  Will it catch on and be popular in a couple years? Maybe.  Would I buy one over an X32 today?  Probably not. The only feature I might like on the unit is that you have 32 faders that can be used to mix, so there's no switching layers to mix like you need to do on the X32.  But if you are familiar with the X32, that's not a big deal to begin with.
Brian Jojade

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »

Even though we are an all Yamaha CL and Dante house (well houses), we are considering getting a m32 for its high acceptability...  Maybe with a Dante card. A backup console, and anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our larger room has A Pro2 out front and at monitors... we have had one or two engineers who had not touched that desk ask for the X32 over the Pro2 simply due to the know quantity.  When we ditched the analog rig in our smaller room it was no question that we went with an M32. 

I also really like the idea of a backup desk that is very quick to get into if needed.   
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »

A local venue with an installed Meyer system recently replaced their Yamaha TF1 desk with an M32 as most of the BEs and freelance folks would have trouble with the TF.  As folks say, you can't swing a dead cat around without hitting a X32/M32.  While to me it's still a bit more fiddly than a Qu or Si, it's close enough to an analog board that most folks can navigate it, and many are already familiar.

The Yamaha is a whole different UI concept.  I'm sure it's effective.  The amount of boards out there attests to that.  Just that for a first digital board, the Si was the quickest for me to wrap my head around and I've had no trouble explaining it to others.

FWIW, the local Banjo Hut has the X32, an Impact, a Qu32 and a TF1

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:15 PM »

Starting to see the writing on the wall. Current rider wants X32, M7C, or LS9 and it says preference in that order.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »

Starting to see the writing on the wall. Current rider wants X32, M7C, or LS9 and it says preference in that order.

There is also a new breed of engineer that only knows the x32, never run anything else.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 10:20:55 PM »

Never thought I would see the day ;)  What a difference 5 years makes.

It is the same here in Michigan.  It is very easy to find someone that knows the X32/M32 and as pointed out, many bands have a USB stick with their show file ready to go.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »

Never thought I would see the day ;)  What a difference 5 years makes.

It is the same here in Michigan.  It is very easy to find someone that knows the X32/M32 and as pointed out, many bands have a USB stick with their show file ready to go.

Have you ever watched someone that went the studio/pro tools then picked up a job doing live sound on an x32?

Physical inputs and outputs are baffling, troubleshooting skills non-existent.   

They learned inserts as a software concept where those of us that have used external processing see it as a software representation of a physical concept.  I find it hard to find common ground for discussion and knowledge transfer.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stavross (Sam Buck)

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »

There is also a new breed of engineer that only knows the x32, never run anything else.

Oh man, ain't that the truth.

I've seen BEs look at an analog board like it's a wax cylinder phonograph.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »

Oh man, ain't that the truth.

I've seen BEs look at an analog board like it's a wax cylinder phonograph.

It's been about 4 years, maybe 5, that I though we'd have to field our (now departed) PM4k FOH rig (BSS insert processing, tc and Yamaha FX, etc).  Some scheduling changes made it possible to provide an SC48 on the show.  I told the BE he almost got the analog FOH rig and he told me he'd never mixed a show on an analog console.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas Le

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »

TF and X32 are meant for different markets, TF is for the beginner that needs to get up and running quickly ala presets and "1-knob" whereas X32 is meant to be the "LS9 killer" with features galore to boot. Riders? X32. Noobs? TF.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.