ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any rules of thumb for installing speakers in a box-type room?  (Read 5409 times)

Steven Welwood

Re: Any rules of thumb for installing speakers in a box-type room?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 03:30:43 pm »

Thanks for finding that, Lee.

Dick, I'll look into this as an option, thanks.

David, I made the diagrams in MS Paint, which only allows rotations in 90 degree increments. I figured the lines were self-explanatory. The blue arrow in the second pic is the aim, the other blue lines are the approximate coverage.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 03:49:29 pm »

Actually (according to the pic) it would be a 222.  SPL max @ 1m figures out between 124 and 129 dB depending on how they're powered.  The only real gotcha is that the piezo tweeter crosses over from the dual 12's at 5Khz.

Dick,

According to the spec sheet they have a 96db sensitivity and are rated at 80 watts continuous/240 watts program. That comes out to about 115-120db.

I think a couple of new speakers is in order. Or a single center speaker if you can get the right coverage out of it. Even a 90 speaker will have a wide enough pattern if you can mount it high enough.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 08:59:03 pm »

Dick,

According to the spec sheet they have a 96db sensitivity and are rated at 80 watts continuous/240 watts program. That comes out to about 115-120db.

I think a couple of new speakers is in order. Or a single center speaker if you can get the right coverage out of it. Even a 90 speaker will have a wide enough pattern if you can mount it high enough.

I read the specs differently.  I'll check again.

Edit:

Power handling specs read 80W continuous qualified as pink noise 50-20,000 hz for a period of 24 hours and continuous program PH of 240W.

Regardless, they would only have enough SPL for fill/support...which would be their role.  My reservation would be the 5Khz crossover.

I wonder what the intended program use would be and what SPL is sought.  My feeling is that they were degraded (blown tweeters) trying to overcome poor intelligibility with sheer volume or supporting Death Metal bands...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:08:57 pm by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steven Welwood

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 10:10:34 pm »

I wonder what the intended program use would be and what SPL is sought.  My feeling is that they were degraded (blown tweeters) trying to overcome poor intelligibility with sheer volume or supporting Death Metal bands...

While the principal didn't say anything about live music other than typical school productions and choirs, he did say that the kids occasionally played music from their own phones, which I'm sure would include death metal.

I admit I don't know exactly what SPL could be expected for a gym before the sound turns to mush. However, in the case of kids with their own playback, my guess is that they care more about volume than intelligibility.

Would 97dbA at 30' be too much? Not enough? My guess is that with the liveliness of the room, it will sound louder than it actually is, but it'll still be loud. I was asked to include a limiter with the installation, and I expect the kids will test it, though I hope to have a system capable enough that they won't hit the ceiling too hard.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 09:28:21 am »

Thanks for the info, short on time now.  SPL should be OK, but I'll let others address setting it up to limit things.

Edit:

You should probably gain stage the entire install such that no matter how much they input to the system it cannot be overdriven. 

Do the work at the front end rather than trying to save your a** at the back end, so to speak.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:24:08 pm by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 09:28:21 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.