ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DXS 18 subwoofer  (Read 17218 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Yamaha DXS 18 subwoofer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 02:29:53 AM »

What does this mean?

(From their website)
Output power:   Dynamic:1020W / Continuous: 800W

Many vendors take liberty with these terms.  In my mind continuous means you can run a sine wave into it all day long and source 800 watts to the driver without the amplification producing distortion beyond the often omitted specification that should accompany this spec (along with a frequency range).  To me it also implies the driver can sink this power without damage.

Dynamic power is what it can do in short bursts and the ration of Continuous to Dynamic is a rough indication of how overbuilt the amp is.  Small the delta the less reserve.  Less than 3db of dynamic power over continuous has no real operational effect on the system in question.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:15:05 PM »

What does this mean?

(From their website)
Output power:   Dynamic:1020W / Continuous: 800W

That means its an 800w box and the manufacturer is more realistic than most with the amp specs.

Continuous power is based on a bandwidth limited pink noise signal with 6dB crest factor, and dynamic or peak is often simply listed as double that regardless if the amp can produce it or not. Sine waves haven't been used in the design or specification of amplifiers(or speaker drivers for that matter) in a decade or more so none of those currently on the market will be capable of sustaining a sine wave at full rated output for more than a couple seconds at most before thermal protection either reduces output or cuts it off completely. And that is fine because IMO "music" doesn't include sine wave that go on for hours and hours and I really don't miss moving 150lb speakers and amp racks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:27:24 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

James Paul

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »

So to respond with answers and attempts to offer clarity, and opine ;

IME no obvious `one note wonder' symptom.

Pairs well and keeps up with the DSR112s for my needs and intended use.

The OP did not inquire about a direct comparison between a DSR118 & DXS18, and since I do not own or have access to a DSR118, no direct A/B comparison between the aforementioned was made.

The `lackluster' reference about DSR118s is derived from my previous dealer showroom demonstrations & comparisons 1st qtr 2012, which happens to be of similar impressions throughout the web.

Note that the DXS18 is an addition to the DXS line and not a replacement for the DSR118, as the DSR118 is currently still listed as an available for sale on Yamaha.com and authorized retailers.

Too`goofy` in appearance for prime time? I suggest this an obvious case of form follows function. The factory optional Functional Covers suffice for my needs and such concerns. Socks, spouses, or speakers, goofy to one, golden to another.

Real world experience? Indoor or outdoor with the pictured system, playback or live, 120hz HPF, normal setting, all powered on a 20A circuit, sounds balanced and neutral. Live bass guitar/ kick combo punch does not disappoint. Ply construction, convection cooled, and AFAIK, an unmatched warranty of 7 years bodes for confidence in ownership & operation through 2023 and likely beyond. But of course, YMMV.

As well as I am satisfied and impressed with the DXS18, I must assume there are some DSR118s users who are equally satisfied and impressed with those boxes. Tesla and Yugo, 4 tires each, similar in basic design premise & function, but different in applications, expectations, and experiences.

As to Yamaha always `just behind` the usual suspects, to be fair, I submit as evidence a bit to the contrary that IME the Yamaha Club Series SM and CM variants are a not too uncommon sight in bars/clubs/HOW and with small operators & regional bands.
Furthermore there are the some two dozen plus LAB member owner/operators of DSR112s of this forum that post with a majority of positive experiences. Exceptions perhaps, but not to be discounted.

With an earnest attempt at some objectivity, I ask not to mistake this post as Fan Boy flag waving,  despite as obviously subjective a viewpoint from which I type.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »

I did a little digging and found this...

Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal operating conditions. While the FTC power rating indicates power available on a continuous, long-term basis, subwoofers do not rely on that type of power. Instead, the amplifier is called upon to deliver large, short-term peaks of power to be able to support the wide dynamics required by today's digital music and movie formats. In addition to the required FTC power rating, we've provided the dynamic power rating as a better indication of the product's true performance.

BTW, the DSR sub is rated exactly the same way in the manual spec sheet. It must have the same amplifier inside as the DXS.

EDIT: Removed incorrect information after further study.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:56:25 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »

Sure would like to hear a comparison of a DXS18 to a PRX718XLF.

I really wanted a matched set, but the DSR118's just didn't have the gas.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:31 PM »

Sure would like to hear a comparison of a DXS18 to a PRX718XLF.

I really wanted a matched set, but the DSR118's just didn't have the gas.

I disagree. I've used both PRX718XLF and the DSR118W in the wild. They've both withstood several hard-hitting rock shows with similar performance IMO. (It's funny to me that most of the nay-sayers are also non-owners.)
Member since 2005.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 12:12:52 AM »

Many vendors take liberty with these terms.  In my mind continuous means you can run pink noise (with 6db crest factor) into it all day long and source 800 watts to the driver without the amplification producing distortion beyond the often omitted specification that should accompany this spec (along with a frequency range).  To me it also implies the driver can sink this power without damage.

Dynamic power is what it can do in short bursts and the ration of Continuous to Dynamic is a rough indication of how overbuilt the amp is.  Small the delta the less reserve.  Less than 3db of dynamic power over continuous has no real operational effect on the system in question.

*** edited after being clarified on the type of signal used to quantify continuous power specification
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Mullin

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 12:19:55 AM »

Its interesting that on the original DSR series of speakers Yamaha lists a 3db down point for all the speakers including the DSR 118. (50hz)
That spec has disappeared on the DXS line of subwoofers. They only give a -10db spec now. ??? The DXS18 has -10db down point of 32hz.
Anybody know what the -3db down point might be on this sub?
I have a call into Yamaha Canada about that and also what the continuous SPL rating might be?

regards Mike

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »

Its interesting that on the original DSR series of speakers Yamaha lists a 3db down point for all the speakers including the DSR 118. (50hz)
That spec has disappeared on the DXS line of subwoofers. They only give a -10db spec now. ??? The DXS18 has -10db down point of 32hz.
Anybody know what the -3db down point might be on this sub?
I have a call into Yamaha Canada about that and also what the continuous SPL rating might be?

regards Mike

It's not totally obvious, but there is a set of response curves in the download section of one of Yamaha's sites, I think the international one.

<googling intensifies> Yup, got it here:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dxs/downloads.jsp

Looks like -3 is about 50Hz in "Boost" mode (closest to the typical bandpass "one note wonder" shape) down to about 41Hz in "XTD LF" mode - presumably with some reduction in max volume as a result.

Cheers,
David.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »

Had a chance to hear these subs today, a pair of the DXS 18's with a single DSR112 sitting on them.

Impressive output.  Definitely worth checking out in the size/weight vs output arena.

This DSR / DXS combo would be easily be my pick in the yammie, JBL, QSC, etc, family of offerings.
Even off axis I liked it better than the others on axis... not that my preferences mean a damn  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:22:47 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.