ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DXS 18 subwoofer  (Read 17236 times)

Michael Mullin

Yamaha DXS 18 subwoofer
« on: June 19, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

Has anyone used or heard these subs ?
Not the older DSR118 but the DXS18.

Thoughts or comparisons?

cheers,
Mike

James Paul

Re: Yamaha DXS 18 subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »

I took delivery on a pair with covers 2 months back, after a limited but convincing enough of a demonstration at Winter NAMM 2016.

Pluses; 7 year warranty. Switchable thru ports. Selectable x-over points, DSP, & cardioid functions. Standard 35mm & M20 pole sockets. Optional Functional Covers and wheels available. Ply construction. Line-X.

Cons; Comparatively larger, heavier, and visually unappealing amongst the likely competition.

My impressions are that these are not only a huge improvement over the lackluster DSR118 in the sound tonality and spl output alone, but are now more properly I/O, control, and feature equipped.

Using the QSC KW181 as a standard of reference for this class of self-powered single sub, with only ear comparisons, I find the DXS18 to not only stand their own against, but even hit harder and lower.
I doubt many, if any, would replace existing inventory of comparative brands with this relatively newcomer, but for someone looking to add or start, these can and should be of consideration.

Yamaha has a contender in the ring now.

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »

I took delivery on a pair with covers 2 months back, after a limited but convincing enough of a demonstration at Winter NAMM 2016.

Pluses; 7 year warranty. Switchable thru ports. Selectable x-over points, DSP, & cardioid functions. Standard 35mm & M20 pole sockets. Optional Functional Covers and wheels available. Ply construction. Line-X.

Cons; Comparatively larger, heavier, and visually unappealing amongst the likely competition.

My impressions are that these are not only a huge improvement over the lackluster DSR118 in the sound tonality and spl output alone, but are now more properly I/O, control, and feature equipped.

Using the QSC KW181 as a standard of reference for this class of self-powered single sub, with only ear comparisons, I find the DXS18 to not only stand their own against, but even hit harder and lower.
I doubt many, if any, would replace existing inventory of comparative brands with this relatively newcomer, but for someone looking to add or start, these can and should be of consideration.

Interesting comparison regarding tone, so the DXS18 doesn't exhibit the "one note wonder" of regular band pass subs?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:44:12 PM by Thomas Le »

Roland Clarke

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »

I would second the above concerns.  I'm yet to hear a band-pass sub that delivers real bass not 1 or 2 note "quasi bass".  As Scotty from Star Trek used to say, "you canna change the laws of physics".

Scott Bolt

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »

Hey James,

It looks like you have a pair of DSR112's on top there.

Can the DXS18's keep up with them?

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »

...My impressions are that these are not only a huge improvement over the lackluster DSR118 in the sound tonality and spl output alone, but are now more properly I/O, control, and feature equipped...

You mean you've actually compared the DXS sub to the DSR sub? I take it you own them both? Could you elaborate a bit more on your findings? I am interested in hearing all about how they compare in the real world.
Member since 2005.

Michael Mullin

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 02:14:34 PM »

Thanks for your observations James. I have been using
RCF Art 905as subs (15") for years and although they are a band pass design
their output is very even in their specified working range.
I'm now looking for something that goes lower and louder.

Is there anyone who can directly compare Yamaha DXS18's with RCF Art 905as ?

regards,

Mike

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

It's OK for the small operators, and I know that's intended market.  But, there are plenty of regional operators that need small powered subs for small corporates and such.  These look just goofy enough to make me pass on these for that purpose.

Kudos to Yamaha for upping their game, though, if these are enough of an improvement over the past offering.  Yamaha has always been "just behind" the usual suspects for club/bar/small operators for a variety of reasons.

Yamaha has the benefit of NEXO engineering now.  There's no reason they can't compete in the SRX/QRX/etc market, but they have to turn it up a few notches.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:59:35 PM »

It's OK for the small operators, and I know that's intended market.  But, there are plenty of regional operators that need small powered subs for small corporates and such.  These look just goofy enough to make me pass on these for that purpose.
Someone must have thought that they looked purposeful or something.  Interesting as I have a DXS12 I use for drummers and it has a full front grille that you have to catch in just the right light to realize that it's a bandpass cabinet.  As part of a drum monitor set up being peaky isn't a problem since the drummer really just wants to hear the timing of his kick and the bass player from it.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »

What does this mean?

(From their website)
Output power:   Dynamic:1020W / Continuous: 800W
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.