ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: synching lighting to midi clock... problems with current setup  (Read 1552 times)

chris johnson

hey hey hey. was curious if anyone here has any experience syncing lights to mid timecode or midi notes off of a drum machine or anything like that. i have been messing with sending my korg electribes midi out into ableton live, and then back out to freestyler, to run a small light setup in my band. after much toying with freestyler, i am beginning to think there must be a easier way to do this. i have not had much luck getting it to work. the midi stuff seems poorly organized and not set up at all so you can easily remotely control anything. the drum machine sends out specific midi key notes per drum sample, which you assign to what you want to trigger in freestyler. i have everything synced up, and i am postive the notes are getting to freestyler, but i just cannot get it to work right. i pretty much just want to set up a submaster with cues for each song, and have it switch from first to second and so on when i trigger it to do that. driving me crazy why it will not work.

thanks for listening to me ramble. if any of this sounds up your alley, lets chat :)

John L Nobile

Re: synching lighting to midi clock... problems with current setup
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:58:57 am »

I have had my lighting triggered by midi notes for years now. I'd have a track in Logic that would trigger scenes with different notes. I'm not familiar with your system but it's very doable with the right controller. What software you use doesn't matter as long as you can program which notes you want to trigger a particular scene.
There are other ways to do it but this was the most flexible method for me.

chris johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:00:44 pm »

i think i am having trouble because i want to fully automate the process. im not going to be able to hit any buttons or anything live. sitting down to mess with it right now. will report back on what i get figured out :)

David Buckley

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:38:30 pm »

There's a bunch of ways to tackle this.

If your system produces MIDI clocks, you can use this to provide beat information, which means you can chase or flash on the beat or any division or multiple thereof.

MIDI Timecode (MTC) is much more useful for knowing where in a track and/or show you are up to, and thus is great for recalling scenes or other changes.  The music system doesn't know anything about lights, it is just producing time, so it is up to programming on the lights side to know how to react when the time hits 00:01:15:20.

Another way of doing scene recalls is through using MIDI Show Control messages (MSC), which say something like "go state 15".  With MSC, you put the MSC cues into the music system, and then the lighting system responds to events when it is told to do so.

MIDI notes is just a bodge, but sometimes, that's all you've got.

chris johnson

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:55 pm »

There's a bunch of ways to tackle this.

If your system produces MIDI clocks, you can use this to provide beat information, which means you can chase or flash on the beat or any division or multiple thereof.

i have actually succeeded in hard syncing my drum machine to ableton live. it even changes places on the screen when i switch parts in the drum machine. i will have to read up on exactly what the drum machine is sending. i know midi, but i might have more options. i was messing with sending pre recorded midi stuff out of ableton to fire off freestyler, but freestyler is not playing friendly.

MIDI Timecode (MTC) is much more useful for knowing where in a track and/or show you are up to, and thus is great for recalling scenes or other changes.  The music system doesn't know anything about lights, it is just producing time, so it is up to programming on the lights side to know how to react when the time hits 00:01:15:20.

Another way of doing scene recalls is through using MIDI Show Control messages (MSC), which say something like "go state 15".  With MSC, you put the MSC cues into the music system, and then the lighting system responds to events when it is told to do so.

MIDI notes is just a bodge, but sometimes, that's all you've got.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:55 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries.