ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just e-tape it  (Read 4001 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Just e-tape it
« on: June 17, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

Found this in a church last week. It's a wall switch on the outside of the audio gear rack to power up everything. Note that there's a piece of Romex running into the back of it from a hole in the wall, and only e-tape covering the energized terminals. I'm pulling it all out and putting in a proper rack power distro.

FYI: This in all on the side of the box, but I need to figure out how to turn the picture 90 degrees using the forum editor. 

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Just e-tape it
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »

Let's see a $ 0.25 pvc box or $0.25 worth of e-tape?  A metal box would have cost a buck or so more.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »

Let's see a $ 0.25 pvc box or $0.25 worth of e-tape?  A metal box would have cost a buck or so more.

That is what's so stupid about this. They could just as easily mounted a metal box on the back of this and been much neater and safer. This just looks like a Cluster-Fxxx

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »

Not to mention that even if that is wood trim and not drywall, those screws are not going to hold the switch in place and the whole shebang is going to fall out of the wall.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »

Not to mention that even if that is wood trim and not drywall, those screws are not going to hold the switch in place and the whole shebang is going to fall out of the wall.

Appears to be a metal (probably steel) box. Not wood, not sheetrock.

It's not much different from an industrial control panel, except for the poor workmanship, failure to follow design principles, and probable lack of interconnects on the cover. Or pretty much everything.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »

Appears to be a metal (probably steel) box. Not wood, not sheetrock.

It's not much different from an industrial control panel, except for the poor workmanship, failure to follow design principles, and probable lack of interconnects on the cover. Or pretty much everything.

Yes,  it's a metal rack box. Not especially dangerous unless you'll reaching around inside in the dark.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »

It wouldn't take long to fix with a metal box, especially with the mounting holes already in the right place. Look's like a $50 charge plus parts will fix the problem, AND ground the rack properly. Opportunity knocks.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »

It wouldn't take long to fix with a metal box, especially with the mounting holes already in the right place. Look's like a $50 charge plus parts will fix the problem, AND ground the rack properly. Opportunity knocks.
Yes, you're 100% correct. It just seems like these stupid fixes take longer than doing it the right way. You can buy a metal box for a dollar and I'll bet it took longer to tape up that mess than simply mounting a box on the back of the switch. They did cut a properly sized hole in the rack and it has proper machine screws and nuts holding it in place. And yes, it's now a good time to make sure the rack is properly bonded to ground.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:45:42 AM »

I agree Mike. Never could understand why people are always so willing to take chances with electricity. Out of site out of mind I guess.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:45:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.