ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES/EBU over XLR  (Read 5128 times)

Taylor Gonzalez

AES/EBU over XLR
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »

Hello, I apologize for this simple question. I have a ~150' XLR run from my console to an amp rack in a venue. As far as I know this is simply a regualr old XLR cable (from a 40 channel snake) I have set a Midas M32 to output the Main LR through the AES/ EBU port which goes over the XLR into the AES/EBU in of a Danley DNA 20k. The link is fine and audio passed through for a couple of hours with no interuptions. Is this a good permanent solution?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: AES/EBU over XLR
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »

Hello, I apologize for this simple question. I have a ~150' XLR run from my console to an amp rack in a venue. As far as I know this is simply a regualr old XLR cable (from a 40 channel snake) I have set a Midas M32 to output the Main LR through the AES/ EBU port which goes over the XLR into the AES/EBU in of a Danley DNA 20k. The link is fine and audio passed through for a couple of hours with no interuptions. Is this a good permanent solution?

As with most digital signals sent over non-spec cable, it will work until it doesn't.

Whether or not that risk is worth it is up to you.

For me, the price of a proper solution is more than worth not having to worry about the potential negative outcomes.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »

Taylor -

I ran AES over 175' of common snake & generic mic cable, LS9 spdif to passive AES converter processor for years, no issues.  This has been beaten to death on this site, but here's Dave Rat's find on the issue...

https://twitter.com/dave_rat/status/663600423547371521

-Tim T

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »

Hey

Technically, as I'm sure you know, it should be 110 ohm cable.

I've had situations where I was forced to run it down a good quality multi for 40 odd metres, and it worked fine on that occasion. On the other hand, when a 2m AES cable into a wall panel failed, the XLR we used to replace it quickly for 30 mins till a new one was retrieved gave all sorts of clicks and pops and static.

As was said before, the advantage of digital is also it's disadvantage, in that there will be very little warning, you wont get much signal degredation to give you a heads up, it'll just be working until it suddenly stops.

I'd be tempted to look at getting it replaced with proper cable when I could.

k

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »

What can you tell us about the cable?

What is the make and model of the cable?

How about the connectors? Make and model?

Any other connections in the line? Was it chewed apart by a rodent and put back together with crimp caps? (I'd probably not plan on using it for digital audio if this happened...)

It could be that it will work just fine, but without knowing the details the best you are going to get is a guess.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Daniel Levi

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »

Heard that Canford once had AES/EBU running over a piece of damp string at a trade show, It is a properly designed resilient protocol. This application is very unlikely to have a problem.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »

Hey

Technically, as I'm sure you know, it should be 110 ohm cable.

So basically 3 pin DMX cable is a cheap and easy solution that you probably already have.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »

Heard that Canford once had AES/EBU running over a piece of damp string at a trade show, It is a properly designed resilient protocol. This application is very unlikely to have a problem.
Yes it's a robust interconnect system.
For cables shorter than say 10 meters (33 feet) any common Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) should work, even the 38 Ohm variety.
Speedskater

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.