ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you want to see in a venue spec.?  (Read 6266 times)

Justin Bartlett

Re: What do you want to see in a venue spec.?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »

I did my first substantial installation this week and am now tasked with writing tech specs. for it.  The venue is 800 seats and does a variety of events from community theatre to national touring acts.  The stated purpose of the design was not to handle everything that the venue does, so I want the language to have accurate limitations of the system.  It will not, for example, work for the Dinosaur Jr. show apparently booked for the fall.

If you were coming in to mix, what would you want to see in the spec.?  Do you want theoretical spl based on speaker specs.?  Like - the speakers are rated at 127db continuous.  Mix is at the back of the orchestra, 55' from the pa, so you should be able to mix at 102db?  Or should I actually run pink up to "unity" and take measurements?  What about frequency response?  spl difference front to back?

When I'm touring I generally like to see a list of gear and possibly a picture of how it is arrayed.  But I am usually using well know systems that all perform far beyond my needs.  This install is based around 4 Fulcrum Acoustic CX1595 and 2 Sub215, all processed and powered by Ashly nXp amps.  It certainly punches above its weight, and I want to convey that to engineers without hyperbole.

I'm a touring BE, and I don't give a lot of credence to anything other than the list of gear and photos/diagrams of how they're deployed.  I've been burned too many times using other methods, so that's basically what I want.  I'm happy to listen to a venue rep tell me his thoughts about the strengths and weaknesses of the house system, but if it's not informed by the make & model of speakers, amps, and processors, it's not that helpful.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »

Pictures are worth a thousand words.  If you can create a photo montage of the gear and how it's deployed, many engineers can come up with a rough idea of what it is going to sound like in much better detail than a list of specs.  Of course, having both on hand wouldn't be a horrible thing to have, but if I were given the choice of seeing a vague spec list or detailed pictures, I'd take the pictures any day. Seeing pictures can tell you a lot about how a system was deployed, even more so than just a list of gear and a loudness spec at some random measured point in the room.
Brian Jojade

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 09:54:07 PM »

Pics are nice but I don't want to see these new 360 views

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »

When I'm touring I generally like to see a list of gear...

Do not forget the list of House RF equipment, including manufacturer, model and Band.
Supply as a part of this list RF scans outside and inside the venue which are updated every 6 months.

If you don't have any House gear, state that fact but still provide scans.

See how to do scans at http://www.bestaudio.com/spectrum-scans/
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.