ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound IQ Ultranet first gig  (Read 20485 times)

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
Turbosound IQ Ultranet first gig
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:16:20 AM »

Simple report on my first show with the X32/Turbo IQ powered speaker system, using Ultranet/cat5 instead of xlr... 

I've downsized my rig, now going with powered mains. I'm using a pair each of the IQ12 or IQ15 and 4 IQ18b subs.  The first job - outdoors, 2 subs & 1 IQ15 per side plus 1 IQ12 as a side fill for the band.  Soul music, old r&b, classic rock, moderate volume. 

An attractive aspect to the IQ system is the ability to link the speakers in series with Cat5 cable in any order via the Ultranet port (NOTE:maximum of 7 devices per series), the signal stays in the digital domain from the mixer (X32 Rack) to the speakers.  -There is also XLR I/O.  The speakers have Powercon I/O built in, so linking the power from speaker to speaker is tidy, if you choose to do this.

Each speaker is given an address, ie. "L" or "R" for each IQ15, "M"(ono) for the 4 subs, mixbus #13 (or whichever mixbus...) for the side fill IQ12.  There can be more than one speaker per address.  The P16 tab on the x32 routing page is used to assign speaker positions, which are sent from the Ultranet port - in this case side fill is #13, Mono is #14, L is #15, R is #16.  After the assignments are made, mixing is as normal.  There are also voicing options, eq, xover, etc. in each speaker, I set the speakers to the "live" setting, the xover for IQ15 with IQ18b.

I'm not too concerned with how loud the system gets vs the competition, it was easily loud enough for this gig, probably one sub per side would have been OK.  The system was not straining, still don't know what the limit light looks like...

I was very impressed with the sound quality, very hi-fi and smooth, not the typical rock and roll edgy 2k blast, nicely detailed sound.  I have not heard the current crop of powered boxes - JBL, EV, Yamaha, so I can't comment on them. 

Bottom line for me... These boxes are very solid, well made, sound very nice, can connect with cat5 from x32 Ultranet, great price.  I really like the Ultranet setup.

I'm going to stick with my srx712m's for wedges, but I feel the IQs are worth a look for anyone needing a powered system, especially if you have an x32/m32. 

-Tim T

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Turbosound IQ Ultranet first gig
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:27:23 AM »

Bottom line for me... These boxes are very solid, well made, sound very nice, can connect with cat5 from x32 Ultranet, great price.  I really like the Ultranet setup.

I'm going to stick with my srx712m's for wedges, but I feel the IQs are worth a look for anyone needing a powered system, especially if you have an x32/m32. 

-Tim T

Tim,

Great review, thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

This is very exciting for me.  If I didn't have a major investment in QSC KW inventory I would be all over this.

Both logistically and price point this is a real game changed.  The subs are $800 on Sweetwater and the IQ12's are $600.  I am sure they could be bought better than that.  In any event that's sub $3000 for a quality set of mains.

Sonically you make a great point, I am sure they are more than good enough for  lounge/private party gigs.  The value in the latest crop of gear is almost as epic as my Cavalier's performance tonight. 

Once again the often belabored Music Group delivers real value with this product and sets a new price point.

Very exciting
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »

We compared an iq10, iq8, k10, and JBL prx-612m recently....  While not really having any low end to speak of, the iq8 sounded as good or better than the 612m in the low miss and above.   It has no monitor angle to speak of, but for mains for acoustic duo's or talking heads, it might be our new go to box.... Iq10 with a little eq sounded great but just not quite as good as the iq8 through the vocal range.  K10 was easily the worst sounding box...   612m is our standard monitor box, we have 16 of them in our inventory...

The ultranet setup is pretty great, I'm glad to see a good report on that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

We compared an iq10, iq8, k10, and JBL prx-612m recently....
612m is our standard monitor box, we have 16 of them in our inventory...
Do you have access to an iq12? I'm curious how well the iq-modeling works and the iq12 has a prx612m model in its emulation.

I've not seen any review of the modeling, even though I've tried to find some...

Jay Marr

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:47 AM »

Do you have access to an iq12? I'm curious how well the iq-modeling works and the iq12 has a prx612m model in its emulation.

I've not seen any review of the modeling, even though I've tried to find some...

I have the iq12's.....I have flipped through the modeling, but I liked the out of the box 'iq12' setting the best.  I don't have a PRX612 to compare to, sorry.

I also heard the iq8's and was super impressed.  I think the 8's have the flyware thread on the back side, right?  If so, you can put like a 4" threaded rod in there, and put a rubber stopper on the other end....and it will hold it in a monitor position.  I have a friend that does that with K8's and it words great.

I use the iQ's with standard XLR...just more comfortable with the quality of a XLR cable.

question to the OP:  Have you had a chance to compare the SRX712 to an iQ12?
I'm now craving a set of SRX712's....

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:35:35 AM »

Just thought I'd chime in. I have 3 of the iq10's as monitors with my bigger system or SOS for smaller jobs and really love them.

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »

Just thought I'd chime in. I have 3 of the iq10's as monitors with my bigger system or SOS for smaller jobs and really love them.

How does the angle work for floor monitors?

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »

How does the angle work for floor monitors?

I just measured and ideally 53 inches from the grill to my ears

Danny Reid

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

How are the IQ18b's compared to the JBL prx 718xlf or the qsc kw181?

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »

question to the OP:  Have you had a chance to compare the SRX712 to an iQ12?
I'm now craving a set of SRX712's....
[/quote]

Jay (& Robert L...) - (I have not used/heard the Srx712p or PRX712...)

WRT the PRX612 - I owned 6 which I bought new about 2 1/2 years ago to use as monitors/utility to replace my SRX712m at that time.  The 612s didn't cut it, I didn't like the extra cabling issues with powered wedges, I sold them, kept the 712m boxes.  I did like the 34 lb. weight, the sound was decent, but not in the same league with the SRX712m. 

From reading a post here a month or 2 ago that expressed surprise about the good performance of the IQ12, I called my locally owned pro audio store (Backstage Audio, Richmond, Va) and the owner said it was a really good box.  I bought 2 of the IQ12, tested one out in the "shop" with recorded media, and was very surprised at the tight, clean sound - chest thumping clean bass from a 12" was a real surprise!  I cannot directly A-B with a PRX612, but the performance of the IQ12 is for sure in another league up...  I experimented with the settings & Ultranet setup, then called the dealer and ordered a couple of IQ15 and 4 IQ18b to use for my FOH. 

Jay - I assume you mean the new powered SRX, I've not heard them.  If you mean the older 712m, which I have used extensively, powered fullrange by Nu6000, the 712m has the sharp high end that cuts through very well as a loud stage vocal monitor which can carry instruments other than bass/kick LOW settings.  The IQ12 bottom end is significantly stronger and lower than what the 712 provides, but this is no surprise considering the small size of the 712m cabinet.

John - I will pull one of the IQ12 boxes out and experiment with the "voicings" to see what 612 does.  I might make a point... like guitar amp "modeling" - I would NEVER expect a 612 "model" to actually sound like a PRX612, but it may have a useful sound...

Danny R -

I owned some PRX618xlf, and would say they are comparable to the IQ, good low bass, but I didn't push the IQ hard enough to see its limit.  One of the reasons I divested myself of the 618 is that it was much inferior in output to the Peavey QW218/Prolite 7.5 it was going to replace.  (2xPRX618xlf vs 1xQW218)  I can't speak for the 718 or the kw181, sorry.  Maybe it's time for a powered sub shootout?

Cheers,

-Tim T

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.