ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace Behringer ADA8000 as channel strip for Shure wireless into LS9  (Read 7840 times)

jesseweiss

I run sound at the school where I teach.  A few years ago we added a set of 16 wireless Shure lavs to our setup.  They are hooked up to the Yamaha LS9-16 with digital cables from two Behringer ADA8000's.  Has worked fine, although I've felt like the sound quality from the preamps may not be that great.

One of the 8000's is shot (most likely from custodians and other staff leaving the whole system on for long periods of time unnecessarily when I didn't know and the unit overheating).  I have to replace it to get the 2nd bank of 8 lavs working again, but I'm wondering if there is a better unit I could buy?

The 8200 is affordable and supposedly overheats less frequently (and I'm going to remind people to turn it all off when not in use), and apparently has better preamps, but I'm wondering are there other reasonably priced units similar to the 8200 that people could recommend?

I was looking at the ART TubeOpto 8, Focusrite OctoPre MkII. Above that price point it might get more challenging to get the funds.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

I run sound at the school where I teach.  A few years ago we added a set of 16 wireless Shure lavs to our setup.  They are hooked up to the Yamaha LS9-16 with digital cables from two Behringer ADA8000's.  Has worked fine, although I've felt like the sound quality from the preamps may not be that great.

One of the 8000's is shot (most likely from custodians and other staff leaving the whole system on for long periods of time unnecessarily when I didn't know and the unit overheating).  I have to replace it to get the 2nd bank of 8 lavs working again, but I'm wondering if there is a better unit I could buy?

The 8200 is affordable and supposedly overheats less frequently (and I'm going to remind people to turn it all off when not in use), and apparently has better preamps, but I'm wondering are there other reasonably priced units similar to the 8200 that people could recommend?

I was looking at the ART TubeOpto 8, Focusrite OctoPre MkII. Above that price point it might get more challenging to get the funds.
Maybe I'm missing something but why are you not connecting the wireless directly to the console?
Using the digital interface to get extra channels?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

George Dougherty

In that price range I don't think you'd do much better than the ADA.  In the SAC world the ART sounded better but was only a little more reliable than the ADA8000 if you kept the ADA cool or ran a 100V step-down transformer (what I did and mine lasted for years).  The Focusrite will likely sound a bit better but the 8200 I understood to have a similar preamp design to the X32 series without the digital control which means its already much better than the ADA8000.

George Dougherty

Maybe I'm missing something but why are you not connecting the wireless directly to the console?
Using the digital interface to get extra channels?
Would be my expectation.  32 analog from the stage and ADAT pre's for extra local inputs is what I've seen at several churches near me.  It was the most cost effective way to take advantage of the 64 processing channels back in the day.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Would be my expectation.  32 analog from the stage and ADAT pre's for extra local inputs is what I've seen at several churches near me.  It was the most cost effective way to take advantage of the 64 processing channels back in the day.

The OP has an LS9-16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

The OP has an LS9-16

Right. So maybe 16 on the XLR and 16 on the digital.
The MY8 AD24 is 8 ch of analog inputs. 
2 would provide the 16 extra channels of wireless (receivers on line level out) and negate the need for external devices.
I think they run around $300 each.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

Right. So maybe 16 on the XLR and 16 on the digital.
The MY8 AD24 is 8 ch of analog inputs. 
2 would provide the 16 extra channels of wireless (receivers on line level out) and negate the need for external devices.
I think they run around $300 each.

How would you fit two of those in an LS9-16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Helmke

The Behringer unit is probably fine. Cheap and I wouldn't expect it to last more than a couple years anyway.

If you're running 16 channels of wireless lavs then the sound quality of the Behringer is more than good enough.

George Dougherty

The OP has an LS9-16

Missed that. Either way the cheapest way to max out the channel count on the desk was to add preamps over ADAT. The result is just 32 channels instead of 64.

Brian J Holder

• Classic LAB

I've been using  a couple of ADA 8200's since they came out around 2 years ago. They run cool unlike the ADA 8000 and have a much nicer pre-amp.
The input gain controls give much smoother control, not bunching up at the ends like the ADA8000. They are used with radio racks to increase the channel count on my LS9-16. I consider themto be a good investment.
Brian

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.