ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey DTH monitors not passing audio  (Read 4620 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Peavey DTH monitors not passing audio
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »

First thing that I thought of was reflowing the solder joints on the crossover.  Particular the input points, in this case.  Seems odd that two would die at the same time, but if they both took a similar jolt, it may have been just enough.  And also a reason to look at doing the same to your other wedges as a preventative measure, if the first two pan out.
This space for rent

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »

First thing that I thought of was reflowing the solder joints on the crossover.  Particular the input points, in this case.  Seems odd that two would die at the same time, but if they both took a similar jolt, it may have been just enough.  And also a reason to look at doing the same to your other wedges as a preventative measure, if the first two pan out.

I was thinking the age of the xovers in the wedge would be suspect. It didn't happen at the same time. And I had noticed both these wedges didn't get quite as loud as they used to. I've still not had time to do an in depth look. That won't happen til next week sometime. I have 4 of them and will put the other 2 into service next show..
  I've had my Microwedges opened up and there is a coil on them. The Peavey uses what looks like a transformer.. Can these go bad?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »

I was thinking the age of the xovers in the wedge would be suspect. It didn't happen at the same time. And I had noticed both these wedges didn't get quite as loud as they used to. I've still not had time to do an in depth look. That won't happen til next week sometime. I have 4 of them and will put the other 2 into service next show..
  I've had my Microwedges opened up and there is a coil on them. The Peavey uses what looks like a transformer.. Can these go bad?
Coils don't usually go bad... Temperature over time can degrade electrolytic capacitors, due to loss of working fluid, and high temperature, vibration, and time can degrade solder connections (if the solder connections look dull and a little chunky they may be over temp. Bad solder connections are easy to refresh, caps may need replacing.

Two going quiet at the same time does not sound like either.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 06:07:39 PM »

That's just a coil with a core in it.  Sometimes there's a complete frame and it looks like a transformer.  It's a way of getting more inductance out of a smaller coil.  "Air core" inductors of the same rating are more expensive.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 06:07:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.