ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help Quick  (Read 5535 times)

Blanton Jones

• http://www.brotherlylove1st.com
Re: Please Help Quick
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 02:35:49 PM »

I need to know the best place to hang the mains and possibly rear fills and also what type of speaker would be best suited for this application, A guy reccommended 2-Yorkville CU15's in a center cluster but I don't think that's gonna be enough to cover all of the seats.

Blanton Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »

guys I'm begging right now, I really need your help.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 02:30:59 PM »

Blanton Jones wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 11:27

I've already given my advice.   You are set up to fail.

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 02:43:18 PM »

Blanton Jones wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 12:27

You have already received advice from very knowledgeable professionals. Begging for a different answer won't change the basic situation?

Saving a little money by not getting expert advice may not be that good of a deal. This may not be rocket science, but it's not landscaping either. Good luck, sounds like you may need it.

JR

Blanton Jones

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 03:29:56 PM »

Guys I simply asked if a center cluster would be enough coverage. I've already told you the church has no budget for a professional to come in and don't see the need for it. I know this may be a slap in the face for you guys considering you all are professionals and I agree with you more than anyone that we need a pro installer but nevertheless the job still has to be done and now I am their only solution. I would normally tell the church that this job is too big but my father's tge pastor here and thinks I can do the job. All they won't is a couple of speakers hung but we all know that's not the smart thing to do. Can someone please look at the drawings and tell me which would be better?index.php/fa/3074/0/

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 04:03:40 PM »

I am not qualified to tell you which setup is better, but I do want to urge you to read this article:
www.audiosystemsgroup.com/3Times.pdf
Its called "Why Churches Buy Three Sound Systems, and How You Can Buy Only One".  As the tech director at a church relatively your size, I consider this of the utmost wisdom regarding this topic.  

I know its not what you want to hear, but this is the best professional advice you can get.  I realize that there is no money for a consultant, but this needs to be included in the budget for a new building.  Would you build a new church if you didnt have enough money to put a roof on it?  This should be considered just as important as a roof for a room your size.

I really hope I don't sound like I'm preaching to you about this.  I just want to join the others in encouraging your church to sincerely re-think hiring a consultant.  It will save you money, as outlined in the article linked above.  Please try to have your church think over this again.

cl

P.S. - Don't get frustrated with us.  We are trying to help in the best way we know how.  Any specific advice would be uneducated as to your specific situation.

Mark Smith

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 05:10:43 PM »

Blanton Jones wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 02:39

I've been placed in charge of installing the sound system in a new church we're building. I had my heart set on the Mackie SA1531's but I just found out that they're not flyable. I'm needing that same clarity and wattage in maybe a passive or anything flyable from a center cluster (pair). The new church will seat 500-750 people. I have to start purchasing next month and would greatly appreciate any usable info I can get.

I think most of the people in this forum feel for you.  It is never easy to be given a task at the last minute.  
The article referenced by CL is right on it..  I have seen many of those things too many times.
My heartfelt advice to you is to go to the church and explain that you want to make sure this is done right.  Explain what it will take to do it right.  Offer to oversee the process and tell them you will ensure it is done right.
But, if they refuse, explain to them that any work you do for God, you do as the best you can, and that this would not be the best you could do.  Give them the names of other installers in the area and explain that in 2 years when they can't stand it anymore, you would be happy to oversee the rework of their sound system.  This sounds mean, but it really isn't.  
You are trusted by this church. Don't take advantage of that trust by giving them something that you know is not the best for them (even if it is what they "want").

(EDIT) - I am not a professional in the business and it is no slap in the face to me.  But, I have been in your shoes before.  The church board really doesn't understand the need, and I guess that is fine.  The problem is that if you are part of the crutch, you will never be part of the solution.  Whether you want to admit it or not you are the "professional" on this job.  Take your responsibility seriously. If you were the "professional" designing a bridge, would you still design the bridge if your client wanted to use half the concrete that you said it needed?  You will make people mad if you refuse, and that is regrettable in a church environment.  But, in the long run, I truly believe it is the right thing (coming from someone who has done both).  
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is what you need to hear.

Blanton Jones

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 05:46:50 AM »

I really appreciate the advice guys. Thanks alot! and God Bless...(He always does)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Please Help Quick-responsibility
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 11:37:34 AM »

Blanton Jones wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 14:35

A guy reccommended 2-Yorkville CU15's in a center cluster but I don't think that's gonna be enough to cover all of the seats.

I would this "guy" do the install and take the blame for it if it does not work.  That way you are out of the path.  You can tell the church that we should have brought in a professional, but they didn't want to be cause they can't afford to.  Now the question is, can they afford to NOT bring in someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to take responsibility for the outcome of the system.  A professional will do that.  From a non-professional/truck slammer etc all you will get is "but those are great speakers-maybe your problem is -------"  I have heard this many times, and even last week from a speaker system we replaced that was less than a year old and was installed by one of the bigger players (in regards to sales-catalog) in the church market.  They kept telling the church that they had great equipment and they kept passing the blame to other areas.  The equipment was fine-but it was the wrong speaker system for the room.  The only thing we replaced was the speaker system and realigned the new one and they are happy. Same mixer-DSP-amps etc.

It is not just the components used-it is HOW they are used that makes a world of difference.  It is also not just where they are placed (and aimed)- but how the alignment of the speakers are done-who is going to do that for you? And please don't say you will use the "auto" funciton on somebody's DSP. Mad
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Kevin Stow

• http://www.kensprosound.com
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 12:09:02 PM »

Hello Mr. Jones,

I have read your request and the replies you have already
received and feel for you in this situation.

I have seen this happen many times.

Have you considered taking the plans you posted along with the
measurements of the inside of the building, type of materials
used for the floor,ceiling,walls and the type of seating padded
or not,that sort of thing to a local dealer or contractor?

With this basic info it would be possible to model the building
on E.A.S.E. and give you a clue on what you might need before you make a purchase.

I think a center cluster will probably work for you, but you need to do this first at a minimum.

There are many different speaker companies that provide the
dealer contractor with the tools they need to do this such as
JBL ,EAW,Renkus Heinz just to name a few.

I hope you have a relationship with a local dealer that you have purchased form in the past that will feel comfortable doing this for you.

Remember,you are asking for a solution that your board of directors was not willing to pay for previously.

With that in mind it would be in good faith that you offer to
purchase the equipment from the dealer that offered a solution
that you are in agreement on.

In the event you are not able to purchase the system recommended
you should offer to pay for the time spent to develop the solution.

Make sure you agree on this fee beforehand.

Sometimes you can get the board of directors to go this way
so they feel like the money was better spent with out hiring
a separate consultant.

The only way you lose is if you don't by the system.

You need a rig,and this might be a way to get the help you need
cost effectively.

The down side of not getting a simple model first is you will
probably fail.

By the way,you need amps and processing to make this thing
work.

The solution should include these suggestions too.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck and God Bless

Kevin
Kevin Stow
Kens Pro Sound
www.Kensprosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 12:09:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.