ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help Quick  (Read 5503 times)

Blanton Jones

• http://www.brotherlylove1st.com
Please Help Quick
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:39:35 AM »

I've been placed in charge of installing the sound system in a new church we're building. I had my heart set on the Mackie SA1531's but I just found out that they're not flyable. I'm needing that same clarity and wattage in maybe a passive or anything flyable from a center cluster (pair). The new church will seat 500-750 people. I have to start purchasing next month and would greatly appreciate any usable info I can get.

Tom Young

Re: Please Help Quick
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 06:02:30 AM »

I don't see SA1531's in Mackie's current line up at their website.

Regardless, this line from Mackie is specified as 90x40 and while such a coverage pattern may be OK for the lower, short-throw element in a  cluster (rigging aside), it is not an appropriate device for the upper, long throw section.

You really need to hire someone who can design a loudspeaker system that provides proper coverage for your space. Just throwing up a loudspeaker that you happen to like is not the way we achieve clear and stable/linear sound reinforcement in any environment. If your space is acoustically challenging, this is all the more reason to strive to get the best devices into the system.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 09:16:31 AM »

The way you can make a flyable speaker out of a non flyable one is to make a frame for the speaker to sit in and fly the frame.  Be sure to bolt the speaker to the frame.  NOW MIND YOU- the frame has to be rated for flying!

Why is your heart set on the Mackies?  Is it because of the way they sound-such as in a different room than yours-or have you heard them temp placed in the flying position in your room?  If you are going on sound alone, then they may not the be proper choice for your room.  

The proper speaker choice includes much more than just sound quality.  Things such as: dispertion angle-pattern control to a specific freq-output level-freq response-size-cost-arrayability (if needed) acoustics of the room-places to put the speakers etc all must be considered, before you go and buy a speaker that sounds good to you in a showroom.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Blanton Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 04:57:55 PM »

I'm sorry I meant the Mackie SA 1530z. I thought the dispersion would be suitable because of our low ceiling (14 ft).

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:06:50 PM »

"I thought the dispersion would be suitable because of our low ceiling (14 ft)."

That's just a small part of the whole ball of wax. Assuming you mean to array these 2 loudspeakers side-by-side, this may be too much horizontal coverage and will result in splashing sound onto the walls or overlapping their coverage patterns too much. It also may be too little vertical coverage to cover from front to back rows. And it may end up being too loud in front so that it is loud enough in back. Etc, etc.

I think you need some professional help and have that person look at architectural drawings to determine the needed coverage. There are other factors to consider, as well.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Blanton Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »

I really value your advice, knowledge and expertise on the subject and agree that we need a professional, the problem at hand is; the board thinks it's ridiculous to hire someone to come in and plan they're system and after months of arguing the necessity of this crucial step in building a new sanctuary it was to no avail. So now I'm down to the wire and scurrying to find a suitable solution for our sound system.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 05:37:07 PM »

Blanton Jones wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 15:27

I really value your advice, knowledge and expertise on the subject and agree that we need a professional, the problem at hand is; the board thinks it's ridiculous to hire someone to come in and plan they're system and after months of arguing the necessity of this crucial step in building a new sanctuary it was to no avail. So now I'm down to the wire and scurrying to find a suitable solution for our sound system.

The best solution for YOU is to quit now, before you get blamed for the lousy results.

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Blanton Jones

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 05:47:24 PM »

I was hoping I could find some helpful information to avoid lousy results and if I ended up with lousy results they would be convinced that we need a professional.  I've installed several systems in smaller churches (2-15's side by side monitors, wall plates etc.) but I've never done a job this big and I'm just hoping I could get some good opinions

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 05:52:42 PM »

[quote title=Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 17:37
The best solution for YOU is to quit now, before you get blamed for the lousy results.

-a
[/quote]
How true-Or he could actually post some plans or drawings or provide some other information about the room-other than the ceiling is 14' tall.  Width-depth-style of service etc. The measurements need to include such information as to far far the stage sticks out-if it does-how high the stage is-acoustical properties of the room and so much more.  Simply looking for a replacement for a flyable version of particular type of speaker is not going to get you very far-or very good performance.

I wonder why he thinks that the dispertion of the Mackie was "right" for a 14' ceiling?
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Blanton Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 02:18:40 PM »

Guys I'm sorry for the lack of information but here are the  floor plans and I hope you can help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 02:18:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.