ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Neutrik True1  (Read 10659 times)

Mike Sullivan

Neutrik True1
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »

Anyone using the Powercon True1 connector from Neutrik? I am thinking about using those connections for my new stage boxes and power uses (aside from to speaker) as they are weatherproof and live breakable. Build quad power boxes with in/out on each end and build a variety of 5, 10, 25, and 50 foot cables to use as jumpers. Thoughts?
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Kevin Rudolph

Re: Neutrik True1
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »

I did exactly that.  My power distro is exclusively Powercon True1, including OA Windsor quad boxes w/ powercon true1 through and edison outs, some leviton 4 in 1 boxes, a True1 Poor Mans Distro, 15' - 100' cables, 25' siamese XLR/powercon cables, true1 to V-Lock IEC adapters etc.  I wanted an system that I could run either 120v or 240v situation depending, and the cost per connector is affordable in comparison to other nema locking situations.

The big draw back is making the choice between 14ga SOOW or 12ga SJOOW.  My particular situation consists of the loungest of lounge level and Corporate AV - I have never seen an inspector and I don't expect to in the reasonable future.  Should I be fortunate enough to graduate out of lounge level, I am prepared to readdress the situation. 

If the connector could take 12ga SOOW I think it would be a home run no brainer.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »

The big draw back is making the choice between 14ga SOOW or 12ga SJOOW.  My particular situation consists of the loungest of lounge level and Corporate AV - I have never seen an inspector and I don't expect to in the reasonable future.  Should I be fortunate enough to graduate out of lounge level, I am prepared to readdress the situation. 

If the connector could take 12ga SOOW I think it would be a home run no brainer.

I wonder if it would be permissible to strip a couple of inches of jacket off of the 12 AWG SOOW and replace it with heat shrink tubing (the tubing should extend over the SOOW jacket). That might reduce the OD of the cable enough to fit in the connector. If the SOOW jacket extends to the edge of the True1 connector, it still would be reasonably protected from the abuse the SOOW jacket is designed to protect against.

The potential problems I see:
  • You lose some strain relief strength, as the internal clamps of the True1 connector wouldn't be on the main jacket of the cable. Preserving the paper or jute filler in the area covered only by heat shrink may help with the strain relief.
  • Potential for a sharper bend to form in the cable where it exits the connector, which could result in premature failure due to metal fatigue.
  • EDIT: SOOW is insulation-rated for 600V. To maintain the rating, the heat shrink tubing should probably be rated for 600V. That might still make it too thick.
  • Raised eyebrows from the inspector -- I don't know about code permissibility.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:33:42 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Kevin Rudolph

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »

I wonder if it would be permissible to strip a couple of inches of jacket off of the 12 AWG SOOW and replace it with heat shrink tubing (the tubing should extend over the SOOW jacket). That might reduce the OD of the cable enough to fit in the connector. If the SOOW jacket extends to the edge of the True1 connector, it still would be reasonably protected from the abuse the SOOW jacket is designed to protect against.

The potential problems I see:
  • You lose some strain relief strength, as the internal clamps of the True1 connector wouldn't be on the main jacket of the cable. Preserving the paper or jute filler in the area covered only by heat shrink may help with the strain relief.
  • Potential for a sharper bend to form in the cable where it exits the connector, which could result in premature failure due to metal fatigue.
  • Raised eyebrows from the inspector -- I don't know about code permissibility.

If you butt splice the connector w/ the shrink wrap, maybe a dab of e-tape, then cover the whole assembly with a cable label and clear tube, it would probably be pretty hard to tell without very close inspection.  Sounds like a lot of work... may be worth it though.  More educated people than I can comment on the acceptability - my guess is it will depend on the inspector.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:03:51 PM by Kevin Rudolph »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »

If you butt splice the connector w/ the shrink wrap, maybe a dab of e-tape, then cover the whole assembly with a cable label and clear tube, it would probably be pretty hard to tell without very close inspection.  Sounds like a lot of work... may be worth it though.  More educated people than I can comment on the acceptability - my guess is it will depend on the inspector.
IMO, Neutrik pulled a boner on this one. They're good for 20a USA, but will not take code-compliant SOOW or SEOOW.  I tried getting a reamer for 5/8" and open up the collet, but the way that yellow "seal" works, the reamer ended up a no-go.   So close. 
I thought of shaving the wire jacket to fit, but thought of the problems that might cause - stress right there at the connector, on the wire and/or jacket.

Unless Neutrik comes up with a larger collet/clamp... Pick your poison - 14ga SOOW heavier jacket or 12ga SJOOW larger conductors.  Or the old blue/white Powercon.

As an aside, funny thing when I cut plug off the "European" IEC cable that QSC supplies - I was expecting slightly smaller conductors (as they were for 240v) but also found no "fillers" or paper in the cable - just three conductors and the molded overjacket. Without the filler, they are smaller diameter, and much more flexible.  So why do the European cables get made up differently that the US cables?  Figure a hypothetical 12ga SOOW without the fillers probably could be a small enough diameter - granted the pull strength would be strictly on the copper vs on the fillers.

frank

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »

I've asked Mark Boyadjian from Neutrik USA to join this discussion and answer your questions about their True1 products. He's free to discuss and promote any Neutrik power products on this thread, so please treat him nicely. But go ahead and ask any hard questions and make any suggestions that are relevant. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable about anything Neutrik, so we're all going to learn a lot.

Mike Sokol   

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »

I've asked Mark Boyadjian from Neutrik USA to join this discussion and answer your questions about their True1 products. He's free to discuss and promote any Neutrik power products on this thread, so please treat him nicely. But go ahead and ask any hard questions and make any suggestions that are relevant. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable about anything Neutrik, so we're all going to learn a lot.

Mike Sokol
Thank you, Mike.  I'll behave.
Welcome, Mark!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Neutrik True1
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 10:17:22 PM »

IMO, Neutrik pulled a boner on this one. They're good for 20a USA, but will not take code-compliant SOOW or SEOOW.  I tried getting a reamer for 5/8" and open up the collet, but the way that yellow "seal" works, the reamer ended up a no-go.   So close. 
I thought of shaving the wire jacket to fit, but thought of the problems that might cause - stress right there at the connector, on the wire and/or jacket.

Unless Neutrik comes up with a larger collet/clamp... Pick your poison - 14ga SOOW heavier jacket or 12ga SJOOW larger conductors.  Or the old blue/white Powercon.

As an aside, funny thing when I cut plug off the "European" IEC cable that QSC supplies - I was expecting slightly smaller conductors (as they were for 240v) but also found no "fillers" or paper in the cable - just three conductors and the molded overjacket. Without the filler, they are smaller diameter, and much more flexible.  So why do the European cables get made up differently that the US cables?  Figure a hypothetical 12ga SOOW without the fillers probably could be a small enough diameter - granted the pull strength would be strictly on the copper vs on the fillers.

frank

Original bue/white powercon is really only good for 12/3 SJOOW, too. You can barely squeeze in some 12/3 SOOW, but it's clearly just being shoved in there and is bigger than the stated 15mm maximum cable chuck diameter. I have 12/3 SJOOW for all my blue/white and PMD.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »

I did exactly that.  My power distro is exclusively Powercon True1, including OA Windsor quad boxes w/ powercon true1 through and edison outs, some leviton 4 in 1 boxes, a True1 Poor Mans Distro, 15' - 100' cables, 25' siamese XLR/powercon cables, true1 to V-Lock IEC adapters etc.  I wanted an system that I could run either 120v or 240v situation depending, and the cost per connector is affordable in comparison to other nema locking situations.

It would be cool to see a picture of your distro system .

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »

Why are you using SOOW? SJOOW is fine, (as would be SJOW if you can find it). J is rated for up to 300v.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 25 queries.