ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be  (Read 19625 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »

Using remote to setup monitors on stage is the best application I can think of. If that's all it did I'd be more than happy.

As for mixing I have to use physical faders. I'll walk around the room with my pad and may make small adjustments but that's it.
I'm with John on this one.
Great to have remote control for setup and the odd bad mix location but when deep into mixing a band, even one I know well, I would rather be on the desk.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »

I'll go one step further. I don't really even want to have any layers, at least not on my FOH mix, but sometimes logistics dictate otherwise. 

Given the combination of the absence of a decent FOH position at most venues and never enough time to load in and setup, I couldn't work at any where near the same level of service without the iPad. I would always prefer a full size mixer at FOH to work on, but 95% of the time I'm on the iPad because it's the best option for the situation.

I agree and couldn't have said it better myself.
If I could choose to have my mixer where I want it with the same set up time and convenience factor, I'd do it in a heartbeat but logistics seem to always get in the way of that so thank the Lord I have the option of using an iPad.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »

The recent firmware update on the QU-PAD for the QU series mixers was by far the best one yet. When the QU series was first released, the app had restricted use but it is now possible to do everything on the iPad that I can do on the mixer itself.
Like Behringer users have said, I can do certain things quicker on the iPad than I can on the mixer itself and navigating the iPad has become second nature to me now.

My very first time hands on with an iPad was in the middle of a political event I had organized-I had a family I knew providing music and asked them to use their system-seemed to make sense.  As the family is playing, "dad" walks towards me iPad in out stretched hand, "I just shut off the right side speaker, I don't know what I did, can you fix it?"  Fortunately, the main mix pan is actually easier to access and more intuitive on the iPad than on the console-managed to get right side going in about 10 seconds.  To be honest, I had been too busy and didn't even know what mixer they were using-it was a QU16 and I probably would have taken a lot longer to fix it on the console since I had never used it either.

The other issue I ran into wasn't a tech problem-but they also found it easy to "hand off" mixing responsibilities.  This was a fairly informal program so not really too much of an issue-until the keynote speaker (father of a presidential candidate) started to speak-with the iPad in the hands of someone too young to be responsible and we were scrambling to find the controls to deal with feedback and volume.

I'm with the "real fader" crowd for the main mix for sure though.
Steve Swaffer

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2016, 02:17:31 AM »

I love being able to have the option of mixing on my iPad. I have done a few shows exclusively using the iPad instead of the faders on the console and its a bit different, but a vast improvement than mixing in a crappy area like the back hallway of a hotel ballroom, or behind the stage.

My preferred method is to use a console, and walk the room with the iPad, but on some gigs the logistics make using an iPad only the better choice.  I also love being able to set monitor levels onstage next to the performer at soundcheck with the tablet.

At the level of corporates that I do, there is a console with faders in the back of the room. The iPad is mostly used as a meter bridge and for killing tanks in Iron Force during breaks.

I have some QSC TouchMix consoles in my inventory that I use for very small shows, or as utility and backup consoles for larger shows. No faders on either the surface or tablet when using those consoles. It took me a few gigs to get used to not having anything but a large assignable knob for tactile control but I got comfortable with no faders. ( and I love the built in multi-track recording)

I'm getting ready to add some Mackie DL32R consoles to the inventory. With a Dante card they will make great stage boxes and I can use them for small gigs or as the monitor desk on larger shows.  A few years ago I would have never thought I would be on a gig without faders, now it's normal to be able to walk around while mixing on a tablet.

Craig

Sent from my iPad
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tom Burgess

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »

Same here. Not having to case 150 feet of 48 channel snake it worth every downside of the I Pad.
Same here.  In my case the snake was only a 100' 24 X 8.  I say "was" since I mixed my first iPad gig on a Friday Saturday club gig and the snake went on eBay the following Monday.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »

My prediction?  We will eventually see a generic wireless fader bank with a drop-in mount for a tablet come to market whereby you can plop down on a table when/where possible and have the best of both worlds.  Someday?

I routinely use a MIDI Fighter Twister for exactly that. I generally run it wired to a laptop, but it can be done completely wireless, tethered to the iPad.

If I have to look at the iPad to make sure my fingers are on the faders, I can't be watching the stage. With the Twister's 4x4 grid, I don't even have to look down to grab the right fader. I always know what channel I'm on.

The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.