ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping mics out of the drummers way  (Read 2011 times)

John Roll

Keeping mics out of the drummers way
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:29:13 pm »

Especially the snare. I'm using an LP claw to pull the mic back away from the snare. I've got the claw arm almost perpendicular to the drum and they STILL get it. I have to keep going on stage to correct the obvious change in tonality. I going to try tightening the clip screws a bit to see if the mic is being rocked away from the set position.

As far as the rack toms go, I'm currently using d-vice clips with Audix D2s. I'm thinking of going to the claws with them. The gooseneck portion of the clip is not rigid enough to stay in position and eventually the mic gets smacked because it has "intruded" into the head area enough to make a perfect target for even accurate drummers.

Are LPs they way to go with the toms? Any suggestions about this are MOST welcome.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Scott Slater

Re: Keeping mics out of the drummers way
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:45:10 pm »

The Audix D-vice holders were always a pain.  I have switched to using primarily e604s with their rim clips.  They are very sturdy, and the mics are smaller and less likely to get hit.  There are still a few drummers that hit them though, but not nearly as much as the bigger mics.

Rob Gow

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:50:16 pm »

The Audix D-vice holders were always a pain.  I have switched to using primarily e604s with their rim clips.  They are very sturdy, and the mics are smaller and less likely to get hit.  There are still a few drummers that hit them though, but not nearly as much as the bigger mics.

I used e604's for years, just upgraded to e904's. Something handy, and less obtrusive is right angled XLR-F cables.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »

Especially the snare. I'm using an LP claw to pull the mic back away from the snare. I've got the claw arm almost perpendicular to the drum and they STILL get it. I have to keep going on stage to correct the obvious change in tonality. I going to try tightening the clip screws a bit to see if the mic is being rocked away from the set position.

As far as the rack toms go, I'm currently using d-vice clips with Audix D2s. I'm thinking of going to the claws with them. The gooseneck portion of the clip is not rigid enough to stay in position and eventually the mic gets smacked because it has "intruded" into the head area enough to make a perfect target for even accurate drummers.

Are LPs they way to go with the toms? Any suggestions about this are MOST welcome.

John

I have both the LP claws and the e604 with clips.  It all depends on the drums and whether the rim will hold one or the other more securely.  For snare, I have found that a short mic stand from the floor (round base) works best and also does not transfer the mechanical energy from the drum into the mic.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Scott Slater

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »

I used e604's for years, just upgraded to e904's. Something handy, and less obtrusive is right angled XLR-F cables.

How do you like the 904's?  I was thinking about picking up a couple.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 06:46:49 pm »

To improve positioning of my Audix DVICE for snare drum* I mounted it to the bottom rim and extended the gooseneck.  This keeps the end of the SM57 mic just overlapping the rim/head threshold with a slight downward angle and out of range of drum sticks.

* Works great on 5" depth snare drums.  The gooseneck may not be long enough to work on 6.5" or greater depth drums.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:12:57 pm »

I have both the LP claws and the e604 with clips.  It all depends on the drums and whether the rim will hold one or the other more securely.  For snare, I have found that a short mic stand from the floor (round base) works best and also does not transfer the mechanical energy from the drum into the mic.
This.  In recording I've noticed that hanging a snare mic off of anything that gets hit will get into that track.  Short floor stand also gives more flexibility.  Biggest problem is keeping the hi-hat out of the snare mic.  The further back you pull the snare mic, the more it sounds like the drum to me, but the more hat it picks up.

Also using the e604s on toms but have had issues with RIMS mounts.  I often have to gaff tape something onto the mount so that the clip will stay.  Especially on rack toms.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »

One also needs to look at the mic pattern,  Hyper cardioid will have a rear projection that allows signal in like from the hat.  The normal cardioid will not have a rear projection that accepts signal.  So use of the pattern and rejection areas helps.   e604 is cardioid so not a hyper problem there !

John Chiara

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:44 pm »

The right angles don't fit too well on 604's of the mic is down on the clip close to the drum.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:44 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.