ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you plan to participate in this Code Study group

Casual Observer - What's all this code stuff about?
- 7 (36.8%)
Participant - Need to improve my code knowlege for AHJ challenges
- 8 (42.1%)
Student - Plan to take the electrician exam within a year
- 1 (5.3%)
Refresher - I used to know this stuff, but not the 2014 edition
- 2 (10.5%)
Instructor - I know code and am willing to sub-moderate the Q&A's
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: July 07, 2016, 08:25:45 am

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Code Study  (Read 12817 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Code Study
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »

2014 had a significant impact on the cost of residential installs.

Just think of all the receptacles behind refrigerators, washing machines and vending machines? Now they have to not only be GFCI but accessible as well? Where the heck to put them so the cord reaches?
I guess, normal receptical plus an accessible dead front GFCI every where. Major parts & labor cost increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Buckley

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 05:47:45 pm »

Just think of all the receptacles behind refrigerators, washing machines and vending machines?

I'm thinking of the receptacle behind my dishwasher.  Or I assume there is one there, somehow my dishwasher gets power.  And sometimes the dishwasher needs a power cycle, like when it gets in knickers in a twist and starts bleeping at 2AM.  So what I do now is flip the breaker to effect a power cycle.  And, of course, the microwave forgets what time it is.

Rules requiring an accessible power switch for non-accessible sockets should have been made half a century ago.

David Buckley

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 06:15:11 pm »

If you wish to provide the citation to to court decision you are referencing, I'll be glad to read it and offer my comments on the specific points you raise.

No decision yet, just three years of lawyers making money.  EFF: "Freeing the Law with Public.Resource.Org", scroll down for documents.  Far more is available from Justia.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:41 pm »

Just think of all the receptacles behind refrigerators, washing machines and vending machines? Now they have to not only be GFCI but accessible as well? Where the heck to put them so the cord reaches?
I guess, normal receptical plus an accessible dead front GFCI every where. Major parts & labor cost increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Since the rules generally only apply to new construction, there is a pretty simple fix at least for residential. Code also requires those receptacles to be AFCI protected as well- and it is cheaper to upgrade to a dual function afci/gfci breaker than to install an afci breaker and gfci receptacle- and since breaker panels already have to be accessible this becomes a no brainer.  Simlarly, when cost of install is considered a gfci breaker makes more sense than a dead front feeding an inaccessible receptacle.

I get the " conspiracy" business aspects of this, but from a technical standpoint it does work well.

What doesn't make sense is that the requirement for gfci's on dishwasher is that manufacturers cannot make them safe to use on non gfci circuits.  So I guess those of us that can't afford to upgrade to a new home every code cycle are expected to not buy new dishwashers? IMO, that protection should be part of the appliance.  They could make a remote test/ reset button.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 03:44:39 am »

I'm thinking of the receptacle behind my dishwasher.  Or I assume there is one there, somehow my dishwasher gets power.  And sometimes the dishwasher needs a power cycle, like when it gets in knickers in a twist and starts bleeping at 2AM.  So what I do now is flip the breaker to effect a power cycle.  And, of course, the microwave forgets what time it is.

Rules requiring an accessible power switch for non-accessible sockets should have been made half a century ago.

I don't have vast experience in residential buy every dishwasher I have ever swapped out has been hard wired.

Some homes was as shitty as romex poked through a hole in the floor to others with BX and a nice work box that doesn't require a contortionist to work on it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 09:42:54 am »

Let's get back on topic. I'm calling my contact at the NFPA to see if there's any educational discounts available, and just how much "copy and paste" of the code we're allowed to do on this forum without being a copyright violation. Even though there will be some discussion of residential code to study for the exam, I want the main focus of this study group to be about power distro for live sound events. 
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Brian McMahan

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 05:42:41 pm »

I'm in.  Thanks, Mike.

Brian

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:04 pm »

Obviously, it will be easier to follow if you have a 2014.  However, IIRC, 2008 incorporated some major structural redesign that has been consistently followed.  If you have access to a 2008 or 2011 copy, you should be able to follow the most important aspects with regards to power  distros and grounding.  Most of the big changes since then have been residential.

Because the code so often refers to other sections, I personally prefer a hard copy.  I find it easier to flip back and forth between pages as I try to wrap my head around what they are trying to get at.
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 01:11:39 am »

Got an email blast from NFPA alerting to a free webinar reviewing the proposed changes in the 2017 NEC.

Details here.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brian McMahan

Code Study
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 12:01:07 am »

Got an email blast from NFPA alerting to a free webinar reviewing the proposed changes in the 2017 NEC.

Details here.

At first glance... it looks to me like the proposed changes wouldn't have much bearing on live sound / event providers.  But I'm a verifiable code outsider, at this point.

:)

Brian

ProSoundWeb Community

Code Study
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 12:01:07 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 26 queries.