ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you plan to participate in this Code Study group

Casual Observer - What's all this code stuff about?
- 7 (36.8%)
Participant - Need to improve my code knowlege for AHJ challenges
- 8 (42.1%)
Student - Plan to take the electrician exam within a year
- 1 (5.3%)
Refresher - I used to know this stuff, but not the 2014 edition
- 2 (10.5%)
Instructor - I know code and am willing to sub-moderate the Q&A's
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: July 07, 2016, 08:25:45 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Code Study  (Read 17261 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Code Study
« on: June 04, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »

I'm been considering retaking my Master Electrician's exam in Maryland. The last time I took the exam was in 1978, back when I was using the code book every day and supervising shop electricians. In Maryland the open-book test is 100 questions with 2 hours to finish. IIRC I got 100% on the exam back in 1978 (everyone should ace this exam since it's open book). But after a decade of carrying the card and not using it, I foolishly didn't renew my license. Now I'm getting into situations where having my license back would be a big benefit, so it's time for me to take the exam again. But while I've casually followed the Code cycles over the last 35 years, lots of things have changed. Does anyone here have recommendations for study guides and practice exams? Even if I could fake my way through this, I really want to increase my code knowledge to the point where I have my confidence back.  I need mostly legal inspection details like we discuss on this forum. Believe me, I've leaned a lot moderating this forum, but I need a big injection of code legal specifics. There's lots of online and DVD guides proclaiming to get you ready for the exam, but most of them seem to focus on the math calculations, but that's not what I need help with. So any suggestions?

Eric Vogel

Re: Code Study
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »

I'm been considering retaking my Master Electrician's exam in Maryland. The last time I took the exam was in 1978, back when I was using the code book every day and supervising shop electricians. In Maryland the open-book test is 100 questions with 2 hours to finish. IIRC I got 100% on the exam back in 1978 (everyone should ace this exam since it's open book). But after a decade of carrying the card and not using it, I foolishly didn't renew my license. Now I'm getting into situations where having my license back would be a big benefit, so it's time for me to take the exam again. But while I've casually followed the Code cycles over the last 35 years, lots of things have changed. Does anyone here have recommendations for study guides and practice exams? Even if I could fake my way through this, I really want to increase my code knowledge to the point where I have my confidence back.  I need mostly legal inspection details like we discuss on this forum. Believe me, I've leaned a lot moderating this forum, but I need a big injection of code legal specifics. There's lots of online and DVD guides proclaiming to get you ready for the exam, but most of them seem to focus on the math calculations, but that's not what I need help with. So any suggestions?

The best online resource period......

http://www.mikeholt.com/

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »

Hi Mike,

What is your timeline?

We could set up a " group study" right here. Most online education systems make use of threaded discussions.

We could read a chapter or article a week, and then pick apart the details in a discussion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »

Another good resource is Tom Henry-he has some good practice exams.

100 questions open book seems simple-but do the math.  That's 120 minutes to answer 100 questions.  Doesn't give much time for stumbling around the code book.  It wouldn't be very hard to come up with a number of questions that would take you more than 72 seconds to find in the book unless you are using it day in day out-or practice like you are.

I am amazed at how many struggle with the math.  Code math is easy-or should be.  To me the most critical practice is for the open book-a practice that makes you get familiar with the code book.  You need to know that a grounding question takes you to 250.xx and box sizing to 314.xx without having to turn to the index.

Another area people overlook, I think, is chapter 100-definitions.  For example, several places say a disconnect has to be "in sight" of the load.  The definition of "in sight" tells me that also includes being within 50 feet.

NEC 2017 will be out this fall-I assume you'll still be testing on 2014 though.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »

What is your timeline?

We could set up a " group study" right here. Most online education systems make use of threaded discussions.

We could read a chapter or article a week, and then pick apart the details in a discussion.

I would like to test by the end of the year, so that gives me 6 months to study.

Would a "group study" on this forum be beneficial to the group?

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »

NEC 2017 will be out this fall-I assume you'll still be testing on 2014 though.

Washington County, MD has just adopted the 2014 code this year, so that's what I would test on.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 09:41:18 PM »

100 questions open book seems simple-but do the math.  That's 120 minutes to answer 100 questions.  Doesn't give much time for stumbling around the code book.  It wouldn't be very hard to come up with a number of questions that would take you more than 72 seconds to find in the book unless you are using it day in day out-or practice like you are.

IIRC, when I took the exam back in 1978 I knew most of the answers right off the top if my head. My exam proctor said that most of the guys who took the test didn't make the 80% passing grade the first time. I finished early (under an hour) and got 100%. That's because I was using the Code Book nearly every day as a reference for my job. Since this was a lot of industrial wiring it was important to be right the first time, since tearing out conduit to start over was expensive. So I probably spent several hours a week cross referencing the code book while drawing up blueprints. I'm just too rusty on the fine details to trust myself right now, so maybe I need to read a section per week and test myself on it.   

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

Part of the failure rate is test taking skill and method.  If you know you can miss 20 questions, there is no need to get hung up on a tough one.  IIRC, I buzzed through and had 10-15 I had to go back and find-and an hour or so to do so.  I only missed a couple. If you get hung up on a hard one and leave 10 easy ones unanswered, you just made the test really hard.

One I missed had to do with the ampacity of bus bar based on the cross sectional area.  Have fun finding that one.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 02:09:19 AM »

Hi Mike,

What is your timeline?

+1

I like that.

I got pretty familiar with the 2008 code after ignoring it mostly since 1974 but have not really kept up since. The 2008 workbook was invaluable.  I have a current residential reference chart. If we do this I will get a current workbook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 01:04:27 AM »

Hi Mike,

What is your timeline?

I'm an amateur at best (though my AHJ always asks if I'm an electrician so that's gotta be good right?), but I'd love to break out my book and follow along if you all do this.  Probably wouldn't speak up much, but lotsa good stuff to learn.

FWIW, and I'm not sure it has any relation to the test, but I was surprised by how much of the more esoteric seemingly EE stuff my friend who went through trade school for electric had to learn.  Design sorts of stuff with lots of math that it seems should have been covered by designers before it got to field install.  Could just be that I never run into that stuff in the production field or when working on my house though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 01:04:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 27 queries.