ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone have comments on Rednet vs RIO with a CL5  (Read 2376 times)

Jim Risgin

anyone have comments on Rednet vs RIO with a CL5
« on: June 04, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »

Good afternoon-

Just trying to take a quick public opinion poll and love seeing these responses so I thought I'd ask- does anyone have a preference in which I/O to use with the CL consoles?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: anyone have comments on Rednet vs RIO with a CL5
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »

Good afternoon-

Just trying to take a quick public opinion poll and love seeing these responses so I thought I'd ask- does anyone have a preference in which I/O to use with the CL consoles?

Aside from the BU PS in Rednet (now that they have finally embraced the secondary network and BU power), I don't see any real advantage to them. Depending on configuration there may be a difference in rack spaces required, but also depending on config that could go either way. Being in the same general price range I wouldn't expect any significant differences in performance. We have some on a Yamaha Dante system at a corporate client, but I don't control the mic pres, the PA mixer does, I have the broadcast console. I wouldn't turn my nose up at them, but I wouldn't be demanding one over the other either.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »

If you listen to the Focusrite folk talk, the Rednet stuff sounds way totally better than the Yamaha RIOs. But who knows.

The Yamaha stuff is nice because of the i/o density. The Focusrite stuff is all 8 channels at a time, so it's kind of annoying.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »

Good afternoon-

I've never used the Rednet IO with the CL/QL. Gain compensation might be a limitation of the Rednet if I understand the literature correctly. It might just be a matter oh how you patch and then knowing that you can't toggle the gain compensation per channel.
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »

Aside from the BU PS in Rednet (now that they have finally embraced the secondary network and BU power), I don't see any real advantage to them. Depending on configuration there may be a difference in rack spaces required, but also depending on config that could go either way. Being in the same general price range I wouldn't expect any significant differences in performance. We have some on a Yamaha Dante system at a corporate client, but I don't control the mic pres, the PA mixer does, I have the broadcast console. I wouldn't turn my nose up at them, but I wouldn't be demanding one over the other either.

Mac

I would second all of this.

The rednet stuff works just fine, provided you're running all the latest Dante firmware.  But there's also nothing super special going on there.  I use rednet D16's for line level stuff all the time.  I use RIO boxes for everything else.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.