ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to align the main speakers to the subwoofers?  (Read 5607 times)

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Where to align the main speakers to the subwoofers?
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »

Uploaded a new video lifting the veil regarding the prevailing question "where to align the main speakers to the subwoofers".

Click here to watch it.

Sincerely and enjoy,

Merlijn van Veen
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:51:15 AM by Merlijn van Veen »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Where to align the main speakers to the subwoofers?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »

Uploaded a new video lifting the veil regarding the prevailing question "where to align the main speakers to the subwoofers".

Click here to watch it.

Sincerely and enjoy,

Merlijn van Veen

Very nice, Merlijn!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »

Very nice. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »

My head hurts....but, thanks Merlijn  ;D !
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:15:27 AM »

Thank you Merlijn!

Excellent watching!
My RTA is always flat.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »

Very informative. Thanks for posting this.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 12:19:12 AM »

Now if I could only figure out how to align them....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »

Merlijn, a clear presentation, as always. Thanks. My two take-homes are the notion to align at the upper end of the frequency overlap (~1/3 octave over) rather than at the crossover frequency, as the spacial region of summation is smallest for the shortest wavelengths, and the benefit of using a lower crossover frequency.

Another tradeoff I believe is employed sometimes is to further separate the low- and high-pass cutoff frequencies and to accept a dip in the overall response in exchange for less audible interference.  I guess this is cheating and should not be necessary in a well deployed system, but in a pinch it can help to clean up the "mud". I would be interested in your observations on this practice.

Best,

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 02:32:47 AM »

but in a pinch it can help to clean up the "mud".

DISCLAIMER: Don't take this personally.

IMO that's because most have created the mud to begin with, by raising the subwoofer levels to achieve low frequency emphasis.

In a unity crossover, mains and subs are equally loud at the actual intended crossover frequency for a given point in space. However, if you raise the subwoofer levels you shift the frequency up which was previously equally loud and the subs now have custody over an extra half octave or so. There's your mud.

So to counter it you lower the corner frequency of the LPF proportionally, thinking you introduce a gap. But effectively you're restoring the original crossover frequency albeit with mismatched phase slopes because the LPF and HPF now have different corner frequencies.

It's a can of worms that from my experience only works with 60 Hz crossover setups because by the time you've haystacked the subs to +12 dB you're effectively back at 80 Hz to 100 Hz.

I like LF as much as anyone but in the pursuit for emphasis ALL we're trying to achieve is SEND MORE VOLTS to the subwoofers and that can me done in more than one way besides cranking up the sub amps.

You could also use a low-shelf filter for the same effect which is MORE VOLTS to the subs. In this approach however you maintain the level custody between mains and subs and respect the intended crossover frequency.

Yes, this will cost you headroom because now the low-shelf will trigger the limiters earlier on but maybe then more rig for the gig is called for...

End of rant ;-)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »

You could also use a low-shelf filter for the same effect which is MORE VOLTS to the subs. In this approach however you maintain the level custody between mains and subs and respect the intended crossover frequency.
End of rant ;-)

Thanks for the rant -- it benefits us all. I completely agree that LF boost is a subjective EQ decision that should be applied upstream with respect to a particular source, and that a properly aligned crossover should be left alone.

I, like everyone else, use an LF boost shelf for playback of recorded music, with the exception of cinema which always seems to have plenty of bass (my cinema experience is limited to my living room, and it's not a "calibrated" system). Live, if I want more bass (frequency range) I turn up the bass (guitar, drum, etc.)  ;)

Best,

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.