ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be  (Read 19408 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »

My iPad mixer has literally changed my life. I used to mix 12-15 shows a year, on someone else's PA, with my rack, Mixwiz & snake. Results were marginal at best.

3 Years ago, enter the iPad mixer. I'm now doing 50-70 shows a year. I now have a gate and compressor on every channel. I now have a 4 band parametric EQ on every channel and every output. I now have 6 monitor sends, along with a reverb & delay send. The list goes on & on.

I can mix on axis, off axis, in the corners, at the bar, from the bathroom, and yes, the chicks dig it (so do the guys). I don't have drop-out issues.
I now have (2) full, powered PA systems.
I'm now MAKING money, instead of just paying for an expensive hobby.
I now do outdoor shows for large crowds - all by myself. In addition, I'm making a name for myself in the area, and it's getting me work at higher pay than any time in my past.

YMMV

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »

I see both sides. I have been ipad mixing now for 2- 1/2 years and when I first started, I was using a Cisco router for connection.
I was getting drop-out at least once or twice each show which was enough for it to become very frustrating for me. I took to the controllability aspect though pretty quickly with no real issues.
Then I got myself an Apple Airport Express based on Dick's advice and it changed everything for me. I hardly -if ever get drop out even at outdoor shows and this has brought me a great deal of confidence.
The actual mixing - yes I agree, i don't see how virtual faders could ever really be as good as using physical faders but the trade off as mentioned here, the cool factor, the mobile aspect, monitor ringing out, no multicore..etc etc etc  FAR weighs out the fader issue.
Like I said though once I switched to the Apple router, it made a big difference for me ....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »

I was a huge fan of the Ipad/X32 mixing system for all the previously stated reasons until Behringer, in their infinite wisdom, profoundly stuffed up the Ipad app in one of their updates, sometime towards the end of last year. Now there are all sorts of unexpected latencies and totally bizarre mute behavoiur when in "sends on fader" mode. It is impossible to roll back to the previous (stable) version. I still use it but don't trust it as far as I could kick it. The X32 is still fine by itself.
M

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »

I was a huge fan of the Ipad/X32 mixing system for all the previously stated reasons until Behringer, in their infinite wisdom, profoundly stuffed up the Ipad app in one of their updates, sometime towards the end of last year. Now there are all sorts of unexpected latencies and totally bizarre mute behavoiur when in "sends on fader" mode. It is impossible to roll back to the previous (stable) version. I still use it but don't trust it as far as I could kick it. The X32 is still fine by itself.
M

Android tablet (Samsung, Google/Asus Nexus 7) and David Giga's Mixing Station X/M32.  Stable and under constant development.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 05:33:29 PM »

Android tablet (Samsung, Google/Asus Nexus 7) and David Giga's Mixing Station X/M32.  Stable and under constant development.
+10! 

I'm very comfortable mixing (X32/QU-24) from tablet (Nexus 7 w/ MixingStation) but also have a good mix booth at my normal venue and so also get to use real faders when there.  However, even then I use the tablet exclusively to do all EQ/Dynamics adjustments (the visualization is just so much better than the QU surface IMHO) and also walk the venue several times a night adjusting as needed.  It is also very helpful to do sound check and set up initial monitor mixes standing on stage with the performers.  As other have said, a good line-of-sight to a 5Ghz access point is essential for preventing drop outs.  Then I'm mixing someplace other than my normal venue I'm 100% tablet.

Basically, once I saw the customization of layout/workflow allowed by Mixing Station coupled with the fact I could use the "same" interface to control mixers from different manufacturers I sold my X32 Compact and bought a second X32 Rack -- no regrets.  My prediction?  We will eventually see a generic wireless fader bank with a drop-in mount for a tablet come to market whereby you can plop down on a table when/where possible and have the best of both worlds.  Someday?

...dave
..db

kel mcguire

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »

+10! 
 My prediction?  We will eventually see a generic wireless fader bank with a drop-in mount for a tablet come to market whereby you can plop down on a table when/where possible and have the best of both worlds.  Someday?

...dave

yes, please! or even a set of 8 rotary knob controllers. make it generic enough so that it's not subject to physical changes in tablet design.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:54:49 PM by kel mcguire »

Jay Marr

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 07:39:01 PM »

Agree 100%

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »

I use an iPad (or several) at most gigs. Most of the time I rough in a mix with the console then walk out front to listen and make some corrections.

Most of my gigs are possible (or at least practical) because of wireless remote control. I have a couple of corporate gigs each year I can put a desk where I can hear the mains. I had only 2 gigs last year with a proper FOH mix position. It was nice.

I don't mix exclusively on the iPad. There are just some things that are easier at the console.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »

I see both sides of this discussion but won't mix from my Ipad. I can see using the app to walk the venue, maybe some quick changes or that sort of thing, but a mixing is done behind the board in my world, right where it belongs.

Rob,
I've seen first hand how you utilize the tools of your trade. Your time was spent behind the board (unless you and I were having a drink) and at no time did I feel there might be a problem you couldn't overcome quickly. And that was at my daughters wedding where to me it mattered the most. Once again, thanks Rob.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »

I was lucky. I jumped into tablet mixing with both feet back before ipads existed, running full symphony pops shows on an M7CL in venues (airplane hangars, old stone amphitheaters, etc.) where snake paths were impossible to find. Although I still prefer to have the console under my hands, tablet/ipad mixing has made many difficult FOH positions usable.

But a larger benefit has been on the Monitors side: Whether I am mixing monitors from FOH or have my own monitor console stage left, one-off show sound checks go ten times as fast when I can stand ON STAGE with the musicians during that sound check. No cue wedge can tell you what the musician is hearing nearly as well as hearing it directly from their wedges. And nothing makes everyone involved happier than NOT having to shout their mix needs across a venue.

I don't even want to imagine going back to a time when I was stuck wherever the console ended up.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.