ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What TOPS or mains to get with our new JBL subs.  (Read 11887 times)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: What TOPS or mains to get with our new JBL subs.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 12:58:25 AM »

Sorry I was having a life in between the last posting ,
of course I meant unobstructed ceiling height....duh
 of course as usual it depends
Ill stay out of the fight for their proverbial perfect pork chop.
 you guys go for it. ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:00:45 AM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Joel Mevis

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »

It sounds like setting the tops on tripods on the floor at both sides of the stage, under the screens might be the best way to get even coverage. Also the SRX815s with the 90 degree coverage may be better. I can angle them in a little bit to cover the center.

How does that sound? Ill see if i can draw a picture for reference. 

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »

But I'm saying those beams would affect how the sound propagates in the room even if they were well above line-of-sight. They affect the reflections that make their way to the back of the room and so affect the apparent volume. They effectively become hanging baffles, albeit reflective not absorbative ones.

Correct. It would be best to keep the beams out of the pattern of the speaker. But this requires a speaker with very good pattern control...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »

It sounds like setting the tops on tripods on the floor at both sides of the stage, under the screens might be the best way to get even coverage.

Well not necessarily. Putting the speakers on stands means they'll be at a height of about 6-7' max. This means the distance from the speaker to the first row is much shorter than the distance from the speaker to the last row. When you turn it up to the point where it's loud enough for the back row, the front row is probably going to get hammered. If you can get the speakers up in the air (maybe 12', since you can't really hang at the 15' ceiling height) you can improve the ratio of first to last row.

It's all a compromise. If you could rotate the speakers and mount them horizontally, you might be able to hang them close to where they are now and still be able to cover the back row. But the current spacing is too close together for a L/R hang, and too far apart for a center mono hang. I  would spread them wider, or do a center mono cluster.

Joel Mevis

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »

Well not necessarily. Putting the speakers on stands means they'll be at a height of about 6-7' max. This means the distance from the speaker to the first row is much shorter than the distance from the speaker to the last row. When you turn it up to the point where it's loud enough for the back row, the front row is probably going to get hammered. If you can get the speakers up in the air (maybe 12', since you can't really hang at the 15' ceiling height) you can improve the ratio of first to last row.

It's all a compromise. If you could rotate the speakers and mount them horizontally, you might be able to hang them close to where they are now and still be able to cover the back row. But the current spacing is too close together for a L/R hang, and too far apart for a center mono hang. I  would spread them wider, or do a center mono cluster.

Hmmmm.... ok what if we were to mount them to the outside walls at 12' And angle them in so that the 90 degree angle faces towards the center of the alter area? would there be issues with the L&R channels crossing? They would be 30 feet apart.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »

Hmmmm.... ok what if we were to mount them to the outside walls at 12' And angle them in so that the 90 degree angle faces towards the center of the alter area? would there be issues with the L&R channels crossing? They would be 30 feet apart.

You could. You would get a comb filter in the middle of the room where the speakers overlap and are at equal volume. If there was an aisle here this wouldn't be a huge deal, but you have your center section of seats right here.

You also have to consider that the sound should be coming from the stage, where the band and the pulpit are both located. If you locate the speakers on the extreme sides this can sound odd for your audience.

Just based on the pictures and what you've posted, I would be inclined to center-cluster two SRX812's above the stage, and have them splayed so that one covers each half of the room. You'll still have an overlap in the center, but hopefully it won't be as bad. Or, use a conventional L/R method if there is room above the screens. But they should be spaced much further apart than they are now.

Joel Mevis

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »

You could. You would get a comb filter in the middle of the room where the speakers overlap and are at equal volume. If there was an aisle here this wouldn't be a huge deal, but you have your center section of seats right here.

You also have to consider that the sound should be coming from the stage, where the band and the pulpit are both located. If you locate the speakers on the extreme sides this can sound odd for your audience.

Just based on the pictures and what you've posted, I would be inclined to center-cluster two SRX812's above the stage, and have them splayed so that one covers each half of the room. You'll still have an overlap in the center, but hopefully it won't be as bad. Or, use a conventional L/R method if there is room above the screens. But they should be spaced much further apart than they are now.

Ok understood. That sounds like a good idea for a mono cluster.

Just a question why the 812 and not the 815? Just asking what your reasoning is.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »

Ok understood. That sounds like a good idea for a mono cluster.

Just a question why the 812 and not the 815? Just asking what your reasoning is.

A month or so ago Debbie Dunkley and I did a comparison of the SRX812, SRX815, Yamaha DSR112, and a few others. The 812 sounded a little better on vocals than the 815. There's a whole thread about it in the lounge I believe.

But my main reasoning for 12's over 15's is the 12's are considerably smaller, and my thinking is you could hang them low enough that you can 'see' the horns from the back of the room, but they are small enough that they won't protrude much from below the beams.

Joel Mevis

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »

A month or so ago Debbie Dunkley and I did a comparison of the SRX812, SRX815, Yamaha DSR112, and a few others. The 812 sounded a little better on vocals than the 815. There's a whole thread about it in the lounge I believe.

But my main reasoning for 12's over 15's is the 12's are considerably smaller, and my thinking is you could hang them low enough that you can 'see' the horns from the back of the room, but they are small enough that they won't protrude much from below the beams.

Oh Awesome! Thank you for your help! Ill go find the thread.

Joel Mevis

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »

Is there anything wrong with hanging speakers up side down so the horn is at the bottom so it would clear the beams? If we lower the speakers much more then what they are, they start to get to get in the way for the people on stage. Also leaning towards a mono cluster of 2 speakers in the middle.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:55:26 AM by Joel Mevis »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.