ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SW118V  (Read 16448 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Yamaha SW118V
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:10 PM »

You should use a high pass and a low pass

The high pass is to keep the freq below what you want out of the speaker and the low pass is to keep the freq above what you want out of the speaker

Both are suggested for all loudspeakers

Right- but not all subs have HP -I'm trying to distinguish between the processing types available in speakers according to what I understand as high pass.
I suppose I am talking powered speakers here really.
Subs like the KW181 have a high cut - stops high frequencies from being produced by the speaker but allows the full range of frequencies to pass through to the top. But high pass would allow only high frequencies through to the top- no?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

Right- but not all subs have HP -I'm trying to distinguish between the processing types available in speakers according to what I understand as high pass.
Subs like the KW181 have a high cut - stops high frequencies from being produced by the speaker but allows the full range of frequencies to pass through to the top. But high pass would allow only high frequencies through to the top- no?

High pass could be around 35-40 on those Yami subs, and he low pass at 100.  You have now cut out both the unnecessary low and high frequencies that the Yami can't produce.
No energy wasted trying to send below 35 to those Yami's because it's a waste.

I've had those Yami's by the way....they pop when they are driven hard.  May be an example of not enough rig for the gig....

David Buckley

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »

The idea of a high pass on a speaker - even a sub - is to prevent the speaker trying to handle frequencies below which it cannot safely operate.  Its outside my area of expertise, but if the frequency is too low then the story is something like the cone is unloaded and flaps in the wind and self-destructs or something along those lines.  This is a big deal on speakers with external amps and crossovers when being pushed hard, but any active speaker with on-board DSP should take care of that as part of its processing, which is a big advantage of the 21st century where active is almost the norm.

I seem to do more cinema than RnR these days, but when you've got 6dB boost at 25Hz and anything lower than 19Hz is "not good", then you want the EQ and cutoff to be accurate!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »

That's a high-pass output used to create a crossover network with the top speaker. Your powered subwoofers use a high pass filter on their driver(s) too. It's just 20~35Hz.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »

High-pass and low-pass refer to what the filter allows to 'pass' through. A high-pass will allow everything higher than a certain frequency to pass. Subs should have a high-pass around 25-40hz, depending on the model and/or manufacturers recommendations, AND a low pass around 80-120, depending on the tops you're using with them. Full-range tops should just have a high-pass filter.

Some powered subs have a high-pass filter on the XLR 'thrus' to prevent your tops from reproducing the same frequencies as your subs.

For the OP, it is being suggested that he add a high-pass filter to his subs to protect against over-excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »

I run (2)SW118V subs with (2) S115V tops.
I use XTI 2000 stereo w/crossover at 100hrtz high pass for tops.
I use XTI 4000 stereo w/crossover at 100hrtz low pass for subs.
Had a gig Saturday and noticed about 5 songs in 2nd set a pop coming for one sub.
Turned bass channel down a hair pop went away.
Opened bin up (bought used) noticed the resister from the jack to speaker was not there as is on the other. The wiring was just twisted together and taped up.
Is this a huge issue, or could it have anything to do with said POP?
As was mentioned before, sounds like over excursion of the speaker cone (i.e the speaker is moving beyond its limits and is "bottoming" out).  You probably need to make sure your speakers don't produce much of anything below 40hz.  Apply a low-cut filter to help control it.  Also, the SW118V speakers are 300w continuous (600w program).  Make sure to watch the amount of power you are giving them.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »

I understand what the filters do - I'm just questioning the terminology and wondering if the term HP is being used a lot ( myself included) but is not used correctly - or should I say accurately. Everyone seems to agree that  HIGH PASS means to pass high frequencies so if high frequencies are not being passed , then how can the filter be called high pass? Shouldn't it be called high cut which is the opposite - it cuts high frequencies from the driver.?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 09:33:35 PM »

I understand what the filters do - I'm just questioning the terminology and wondering if the term HP is being used a lot ( myself included) but is not used correctly - or should I say accurately. Everyone seems to agree that  HIGH PASS means to pass high frequencies so if high frequencies are not being passed , then how can the filter be called high pass? Shouldn't it be called high cut which is the opposite - it cuts high frequencies from the driver.?

When high frequencies are not being passed its called a low-pass. Most subs have both a high-pass and a low-pass, so they only receive frequencies within those two filter parameters.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »

I understand what the filters do - I'm just questioning the terminology and wondering if the term HP is being used a lot ( myself included) but is not used correctly - or should I say accurately.

In my opinion, the wrong terminology is 'low-cut', which some mixers use to refer to the HPF on the mic inputs. The accepted standard is HPF and LPF, so mixer manufacturers are just creating confusion when calling HPF filters 'low cut'

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »

Inside a powered subwoofer, frequencies HIGHer than ~25Hz are passed to the driver. Frequencies LOWer than ~100Hz are passed to the driver. It contains both a low- and high-pass filter used by itself, internally.

Some subwoofers are meant to be used with tops that don't have a high-pass filter at the sub/top crossover region (~100Hz). Those subs will have a high-pass output for the top. Those tops still have high pass filters on every driver whether being used with a previously high-passed signal or not.

Debbie, I know you know how all this works, I'm just trying to put words to why high-pass is the correct terminology for both cases.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.