ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: About Soundcraft Expression and Impact capability??  (Read 22222 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Re: About Soundcraft Expression and Impact capability??
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2016, 10:46:35 PM »

I have the offline software which is stable on a Win 7 PC.  But I don't use it much.  Most of my work is with a couple of bands for which I have saved files or throw and go things where I use the iPad for channel naming.

I had been running the software on a XP machine,  but recently it has not been behaving,  It won't let me assign FX returns to the top layer as it has previously allowed me to do.
Have tried re installing but to no avail.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2016, 11:02:37 PM »

I found the off-line editor so clunky that I gave up on it right away and do my pre-configurations right on my Performer.  Then I can set up all my routing and check it at the same time.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Ken Braziel

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »

I found the off-line editor so clunky that I gave up on it right away and do my pre-configurations right on my Performer.  Then I can set up all my routing and check it at the same time.

Same here, I didn't find the offline editor useful, especially given how quickly I can set up the mixers on site.

Brian McMahan

About Soundcraft Expression and Impact capability??
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »

Noticed no problems with sound with new firmware, haven't updated the ViSi Remote app, it still works as usual...

Although I noticed when I do very fast switching between layers, or calling up GEQ, sometimes a fader here or there tends to get "stuck up" in some position, for instance, I called up the GEQ on LR, and 100hz was turned down all the way, and I know I didn't do it. Went out of the GEQ, changed a few layers, went back to GEQ on LR, and 100hz was back to where it was. Also on one recall of GEQ on LR, the master fader went all the way down. :) It did not turned the sound down, so I guess it's just a phsyical glitch, the console did not register these wierd fader positions.
This is with 1.8 build 0006 on Expression 3.

While on 1.7 build 0009, I had similar experiences with some faders getting into "wierd positions", and on a different Expression 3 (not mine), with 1.6 software I got one of the reverb returns stuck in the middle, when you turn it down, it goes back, when you push it up, it goes back :)

All of these problems happen to me, so I guess it's my approach to the console that makes it maybe a bit too demanding, I tend to change layers very fast, or call up mixbuses or GEQ, a friend of mine has an Exp3 for almost two years, no problems of these whatsoever.

I cannot replicate the situation to confirm if it's a bug, and report to Soundcraft.

Since there's a critical mass of (I think) solid user info here... I figured that I'd post this bit from a Gearslutz exchange.  I believe it's from Trevor, with initial quote from another Si user.

Originally Posted by mdlaat:

" ... I have had expressions lock up during showtime.  When contacting soundcraft support, they blame it on 'old show files'.  So apparently we need to be careful with default shows."

** This rings a bell.  Once you do a firmware update, start your default shows from scratch on the new firmware. **

Maybe this is relevant to your experience, Branimir?

Brian
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:00:00 PM by Brian McMahan »

Brian McMahan

About Soundcraft Expression and Impact capability??
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »

Here's a link for the Gearslutz thread.  Page 3 is where it gets into show file + firmware discussion.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/1088085-your-characterizations-si-performer-3-qu-32-mix-systems-audio-quality-3.html

Brian
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:27:34 PM by Brian McMahan »

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »

Could be an "old show files" thing. I guess I could reset the board these days and set it up all again, since I use it for touring with one band only, I tend to keep most of the stuff in "it was good yesterday, should work good today" state, so I would need to write down the gains, gates, comps and eq's of relevant channels, as I don't feel like doing the whole soundcheck any time soon...

Call me lazy, but it works really well. Same microphones each time, and I try to flatten the PA with RTA and pink noise (at least to try to minimize the problems), calling up a show from last time usually works 90% in the ballpark for me, and I have a pretty complicated layout with everything on the first layer:

16 channels of inputs, intro line in, master send for delay, then drum group, parallel compression drum group, guitar left group, guitar right group, backing vocals group, lead vocal group, delay return, hall return, drum plate return. This way I get all the channels through subgroups and not directly to master, and since I use Palmer DI's on both guitars I like to have an option of using graphic eq to "take out the trash", if I hear weird stuff between 2 and 5khz with those distorted guitars.

Soundcheck takes 5mins for linecheck and then one and a half song for monitoring and to set the guitar levels right, and yes I like all my faders to be straight at 0db line ;)
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »

And we need all 14 aux mixes for monitors feds + All the EFX to be used on both consoles.

Expression 1 (Monitor) can have:
Layer 1: Ch1-14
Layer 2: Ch15-28
Layer 3: Ch29-38 + 4 EFX returns
Layer 4: Aux master 1-14

Hi Stavros,

I just ran across this thread (I know I am way late...). Thought I should point out that it is not necessary to put aux masters on a fader layer. The aux masters can still be accessed because when going to "send on fader" mode the aux master pops up on the far right "mono" master fader. This can save you 14+ faders for other use, which I have done on my SiPerformer1 :)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »

Hi Stavros,

I just ran across this thread (I know I am way late...). Thought I should point out that it is not necessary to put aux masters on a fader layer. The aux masters can still be accessed because when going to "send on fader" mode the aux master pops up on the far right "mono" master fader. This can save you 14+ faders for other use, which I have done on my SiPerformer1 :)

Huh, never thought of doing that!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »

Hi Stavros,

Just note that you do need the aux masters on a fader layer to 1) copy/paste things like GEQ and ACS/fat channel settings and 2) setup the auxes on a mute group. I routinely move my aux masters off the surface to make room for more input channel faders, but only once I've done the above. Once the masters off the surface the only thing you can copy/paste across mixes is the contributions ie aux sends.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.