ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: About Soundcraft Expression and Impact capability??  (Read 22234 times)

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
Re: About Soundcraft Expression and Impact capability??
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »

Bob - What is in the Performer that places it over the Expression.  The only thing that stands out as a difference is the DMX capability in the Performer.  What are the key differences?  The boards look almost identical to logic flow and usage.
Heh... The same question bothers me too...

On paper, all these console share the some preamp/converter technology, yet people say the sound different.

Two days ago I mixed on an Impact and I swear my Expression sounds better. The Impact is not bad, but I think it's different. The headroom is good, and all, but Expression sounds "warmer"? Maybe I'm just accustomed to the shelving on Exp.... Workflow is an another thing, these two differ much there...

Most of the time rant goes on about preamps and converters, and some say they are the same, some say they are not, but I think we all don't take into an account the software.
Yes it's the same for Performer and Expression (the version and build), but clearly the Performer has some capabilities that Expression does not have and yet uses same software, who knows what other stuff is going under the hood with the same software...
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »

On paper, all these console share the some preamp/converter technology, yet people say the sound different.

Two days ago I mixed on an Impact and I swear my Expression sounds better. The Impact is not bad, but I think it's different. The headroom is good, and all, but Expression sounds "warmer"? Maybe I'm just accustomed to the shelving on Exp.... Workflow is an another thing, these two differ much there...

Most of the time rant goes on about preamps and converters, and some say they are the same, some say they are not, but I think we all don't take into an account the software.
Yes it's the same for Performer and Expression (the version and build), but clearly the Performer has some capabilities that Expression does not have and yet uses same software, who knows what other stuff is going under the hood with the same software...

I'll agree to better sound from the Expression, and to me it's not subjective. I replaced an APB with my Expression.

The Performer series is heads above the Expression

Scribble strips that follow each layer, 80 channels to mix, VCA, better EQ for each channel, better construction, 2 expansion slots, Vi series pre amps, massive headroom (even more that the Expression, really.), and a bunch of other features that are more easily seen if you read the manuals.

DMX? I don't use it, and I don't feel that's a part of the price. The Performer is just an overall better board. The sound? Incredible. Worth the extra money? Absolutely.

Performer 1

•  16 mono mic inputs
   •  8 line inputs
   •  80 channels to mix
   •  2 ViSi Connect™ option card slots for 128 x 96 input/output paths
   •  Pre/Post selection per input per bus
   •  Freely assignable faders and patching
   •  Soundcraft FaderGlow™
   •  Colour backlit LCD screens per fader
   •  GEQ on every bus
   •  20 sub-group / aux busses
   •  4 FX busses
   •  8 Matrix busses
   •  LRC Mix busses
   •  LCR panning
   •  4 Stereo Lexicon Effects engines
   •  Delay on inputs and outputs
   •  8 Mute Groups
   • 8 VCA Groups
   •  AES in and out
   •  DMX interface and control -control sound and light simultaneously
   •  Freely assignable insert loops
   •  Harman HiQnet integration
   •  Colour touch screen interface
   •  Comes with removable side cheeks
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 08:46:12 PM »

Thanks Bob - VCAs = a BIG plus!

Not to be off topic, a couple of questions regarding both Expression and Performer...
   1.  Why only one power source (no backup power)?
   2.  Are the faders (fader glow) and backlit lights easy to see when doing outdoor events (perhaps under a white canopy) during daytime?

Many thanks.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 09:12:59 PM »

Fault tolerance adds to the build cost. (Don't tell anyone but I don't use UPS, only a surge protector.) I've never had or heard of anyone having an issue with power supplies on these boards. Maybe a long time ago in the analog days, but not now.

The fader glow and indicators are very easy to see, and not hard to read outside. I like the fader glow, which makes it easy to see what it is you're doing with the channel or function. For instance, when you go to EQ mode for the channel all of the fader strips turn red. Effects? Blue. Good stuff.

Although this intro video came out before the Performer 1 was available (or I would have skipped the Expression 1) everything applies except for the fader count. Take the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjK_mcW080M
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:22:54 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 02:45:11 AM »

I replaced an APB with my Expression.
Sorry, but what does the "APB" acronmy stand for?
Thanks Bob - VCAs = a BIG plus!
VCA's are a nice addon, but don't count out the "green" labeled mixbusses. They are basically post fader groups and can be used as regular subgroups if routed to LR and desired channels put to unity in mixbus send.

This way I have subgroups for: Drums, Drums with parallel compression, Instruments, Backing vocals, Lead vocal (mono group), also have drum plate return going into Drum subgroup, and basically none of the channels are going straight into LR, but into their dedicated subgroups.
Sometimes if you're having problems with the lead vocal, gripping the mike, or somebody being a really akward sounding person through the microphone, you can always use the GEQ on the lead vocal group and dial out the unwanted frequency, saved me from extreme gripper of the SM58 with a nasal voice, more than once!
Also if you're bold enough to use compressors alot over the board, you can compress a bit the Instrument group,for instance 2:1 with very little gain reduction to "glue" the bass and guitars a bit... VCA's are nice, but they're just group volume faders.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:47:27 AM by Branimir Bozak »
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

Sorry, but what does the "APB" acronmy stand for? VCA's are a nice addon, but don't count out the "green" labeled mixbusses. They are basically post fader groups and can be used as regular subgroups if routed to LR and desired channels put to unity in mixbus send.

This way I have subgroups for: Drums, Drums with parallel compression, Instruments, Backing vocals, Lead vocal (mono group), also have drum plate return going into Drum subgroup, and basically none of the channels are going straight into LR, but into their dedicated subgroups.
Sometimes if you're having problems with the lead vocal, gripping the mike, or somebody being a really akward sounding person through the microphone, you can always use the GEQ on the lead vocal group and dial out the unwanted frequency, saved me from extreme gripper of the SM58 with a nasal voice, more than once!
Also if you're bold enough to use compressors alot over the board, you can compress a bit the Instrument group,for instance 2:1 with very little gain reduction to "glue" the bass and guitars a bit... VCA's are nice, but they're just group volume faders.
APB is a company that sells top of the line analog mixing consoles (among a few other things).  I don't have one nor have used one, but many on this forum who have experience with APB say the APB consoles are the best analog consoles available:  (http://www.apb-dynasonics.com/)

Channel control by VCA is different than the use of subgroups.  The end-result (volume level up or down) is the same between both, but how those results are obtained are much different.  Using subgroups doesn't control the channel levels, where as VCA does control the channel level. 

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

Fault tolerance adds to the build cost. (Don't tell anyone but I don't use UPS, only a surge protector.) I've never had or heard of anyone having an issue with power supplies on these boards. Maybe a long time ago in the analog days, but not now.

The fader glow and indicators are very easy to see, and not hard to read outside. I like the fader glow, which makes it easy to see what it is you're doing with the channel or function. For instance, when you go to EQ mode for the channel all of the fader strips turn red. Effects? Blue. Good stuff.

Although this intro video came out before the Performer 1 was available (or I would have skipped the Expression 1) everything applies except for the fader count. Take the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjK_mcW080M

Thanks again for your insight!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »

I disagree on the visibility of fader glow in sunlight.
I ended up getting a black popup and making a sunshade to solve this problem.
The color coding is so important to the workflow that I had to ensure its visibility.
That said, I love both my Perf 1 and 2.
It was a definite step up from my Compact 2.
On the subject of available channels, why not go with the 24 channel boards?
ALL faders are available to assign anything.
16 : (14*4)=56
24 : (22*4)=88
32 : (30*4)=120
The wonderful thing is to put all your high priority things on the top layer or two.
I put my drum channels on layer two with a VCA on fader one on the top layer.
Add a sub group master, an fx master, lead vox and lead guitar and you can do 90% of the show on the top layer.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:59:32 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »

The manual references a dimmable setting for the fader glow. 

Bob / Dave / (or anyone using the Performer or Expression) - is this setting on your board always set to the brightest setting?  Would that be considered too bright?

I made a sun-shade for the same reason.  The lights on my Soundcraft GB8 are nowhere bright enough for outdoor shows (same with my Allen&Heath).

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »

The dimmers work fine, but I generally do daytime stuff so they're 100% most of the time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:31:21 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

Β« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 01:09:14 PM Β»

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.