ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: your characterizations of Si PERFORMER 3 and QU-32 mixes - ie, *AUDIO ONLY*  (Read 29638 times)

Brian McMahan

After using it for a few gigs, there are a few things that I wish were better on the Performer.  Such as ... Fan noise.  Not an issue for most live settings, but you really hear it in a quiet environment.

Thanks much for mentioning this, John & Ken. 

A good percentage of my live sound work involves recording + streaming.  Ambient sound is important.  (Think tiny stages, black box theaters, museum performance spaces, etc.)  The less undesirable noise, the better.

Couple questions for you and other Si Performer users:

a)  Is there much interaction / resonance between fan(s) and console chassis?  Like, does desk hum when fans get going?

b)  Are the fans used easily swapped out (for different models)?

c)  Any anecdotal evidence comparing fan noise generated by Performer to that of Si Impact or X32? 

Thanks again.

Brian

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.

Thanks much for mentioning this, John & Ken. 

A good percentage of my live sound work involves recording + streaming.  Ambient sound is important.  (Think tiny stages, black box theaters, museum performance spaces, etc.)  The less undesirable noise, the better.

Couple questions for you and other Si Performer users:

a)  Is there much interaction / resonance between fan(s) and console chassis?  Like, does desk hum when fans get going?

b)  Are the fans used easily swapped out (for different models)?

c)  Any anecdotal evidence comparing fan noise generated by Performer to that of Si Impact or X32? 

Thanks again.

Brian

The fan noise is minimal. I can hardly hear it. I get more fan noise from my laptop.

Brian McMahan

The fan noise is minimal. I can hardly hear it. I get more fan noise from my laptop.

Thanks Jamin.  That is reassuring.

Other users... ?

Brian

John Schalk

The fan noise of the Performer 2 was clearly audible in my basement when I had the board setup while I was going through the tutorial videos.  I think that it is much louder than a laptop's fan.  My 01V96 does not have a fan and it made it through many outdoor summer shows and I don't like mixing under a canopy, so it took direct sunlight with no issues.  Ever.

Having said that, I cannot hear the fan over the background noise in the clubs where I have used the Performer.  I mentioned it because it was something I wasn't expecting since my previous console did not have a fan and I bought the Performer sight unseen.

Regarding the usefulness of the LCD screen on the Performer, yes, I get Soundcraft's function focus design, but that doesn't mean that providing less visual information on the audio signal than most other consoles do, is a good thing.  For instance, you can chose to see the precise values of the Eq controls as you adjust them, which is the default behavior, or you can select the Eq screen and see a graph that changes as you make adjustments, but then you lose the control's values.  There is room on the screen for both, so why not have both?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.

The fan noise of the Performer 2 was clearly audible in my basement when I had the board setup while I was going through the tutorial videos. I think that it is much louder than a laptop's fan.  My 01V96 does not have a fan and it made it through many outdoor summer shows and I don't like mixing under a canopy, so it took direct sunlight with no issues.  Ever.

Having said that, I cannot hear the fan over the background noise in the clubs where I have used the Performer.  I mentioned it because it was something I wasn't expecting since my previous console did not have a fan and I bought the Performer sight unseen.

Regarding the usefulness of the LCD screen on the Performer, yes, I get Soundcraft's function focus design, but that doesn't mean that providing less visual information on the audio signal than most other consoles do, is a good thing.  For instance, you can chose to see the precise values of the Eq controls as you adjust them, which is the default behavior, or you can select the Eq screen and see a graph that changes as you make adjustments, but then you lose the control's values.  There is room on the screen for both, so why not have both?

That will depend on your laptop. My laptop fan is much louder than my Performer fan

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

The noise from the fan is barely noticeable, even when up close to the board.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.

Thanks Jamin.  That is reassuring.

Other users... ?

Brian

Maybe you should hear the fan and make the determination for yourself if it's loud or not.

Does anybody have a Performer in your area that you can check out?

Derek Neu

The Soundcraft touch display isn't really used for much more than initial setup of the board, routing, etc., but, a full screen of the PEQ for the channel you are working with is displayed if you press the touch screen EQ button. Another reason the display is secondary once the channels are set up is because of Soundcraft's "function focus".

In the picture below, even as poor as it is, shows that mix #1 is selected, all of the faders (yellow) are assigned to that mix and the EQ for the MONO out is set flat. Notice the encoders above the scribble strip channel displays are blank as they have no "function" in the mix, which is NOT stereo to L/R.

You can send any of the the mix layers to stereo L/R.  The performer has DCA I believe (I have an expression, so not positive) but on the expression I use 6 of the mix channels as subgroups so I send the channels only to the subgroups (drums for example), then send that mix channel to the L/R.

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika

You can send any of the the mix layers to stereo L/R.  The performer has DCA I believe (I have an expression, so not positive) but on the expression I use 6 of the mix channels as subgroups so I send the channels only to the subgroups (drums for example), then send that mix channel to the L/R.
I do the same thing, and those mixbuses can be stereo of course, I set them to postfade, they lit green and act just like analog subgroups (you can eq them and compress them).

On topic:
Expression doesn't have a fan, and I think Impact is also fan-less.
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Brian McMahan

Maybe you should hear the fan and make the determination for yourself if it's loud or not.

Does anybody have a Performer in your area that you can check out?

Point taken re checking for myself!

I recently moved to Lexington KY, and I don't know anyone here (yet) that's using or stocking Performer.  Hoping to get a quick look tomorrow at Far Out Music in Jeffersonville, IN.

Brian

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.