ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW Redline - any users in forum land?  (Read 19086 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: EAW Redline - any users in forum land?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »

.....aaaand for those keeping score, we have yet to hear from anyone who actually OWNS these boxes
Which is itself pretty informative.

Chris Edwards

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »

We had a demo a few months back. The Redline speakers sound good, and are nicely designed - Powercon & such.

We already have KV2 speakers to fill that niche, though.

How do you think they compare the KV2 EX-12s?

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »

How do you think they compare the KV2 EX-12s?

I don't remember overall output.  The EX-12 is pretty seriously loud for its size, though. The Redline had a similar sound, a bit hyped top & bottom. Nothing huge, I'm just more used to how Meyer makes everything flat.

John Penkala

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 12:24:02 PM »

Wonder what magic EAW puts in the cab that makes it any different than say Yamaha DSR or JBL SRXP? I watched the youtube video but can't imagine justifying paying the EAW price for what you can get with an MI box...

The two things that I see are that they have rotatable horns and the amp module can be moved to either side to allow for mirrored pairs. I'm not sure if the others can do that.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 07:54:56 PM »

.....aaaand for those keeping score, we have yet to hear from anyone who actually OWNS these boxes

+1

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:21 PM »

Not actually owning a product has never seemed to be a problem before.

These were announced less than a year ago, and are relatively expensive. I wouldn't expect to see a huge number in the field yet.

Mac

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »

You only need 2 to make an array. The amp/connectors are angled so you can put the rear-facing sub on the floor and have the connectors partially hidden from the audience.
That's also why you can't fix wheels to them.

I totally agree with you on the lack of covers/wheelboard/cases.

Thanks, I didn't know it would Cardioid with two cabinets. Have you tried this, and if so, did they perform as you expected?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »

Thanks, I didn't know it would Cardioid with two cabinets. Have you tried this, and if so, did they perform as you expected?

Is there a sub that won't? Two subs are all you need to make a directional array out of any type of sub. With more speakers you can get more control, but 2 is all you need to start.

Mac

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 02:32:17 AM »

It works, no issues. If you read the manual, you'll see that EAW designed the RL18s to be  used in equal numbers in a cardioid configuration. They recommend a 1:1 ratio of forward/rearward facing cabinets for this sub :)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »

Is there a sub that won't? Two subs are all you need to make a directional array out of any type of sub. With more speakers you can get more control, but 2 is all you need to start.

Mac
Exactly.

I do like the way they made the cabinet deeper so that when they are stacked, you have a decent distance between the front and back.

Many people that talk about "cardioid" subs don't even have a basic idea how it works, or realize that it takes a proper distance between the front and back.

So subs that are not very physically deep, and are simply stacked with one reversed don't have the proper distance between them.

But why mess up fantasy with facts-----------

As long as they "think" it is working (and it does something) they are happy.  But they don't realize how much better something setup that actually works would sound.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.