ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing live radio for Tennis  (Read 3260 times)

Alex Donkle

Mixing live radio for Tennis
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »

This is more of a broadcast question, but does anyone here know where radio commentators and sound mixers typically setup at outdoor stadiums for Tennis when there's no permanent radio booth available? My assumption is the sound mixer would setup a tent away from the court somewhere, and runs audio cables for commentators to sit courtside, but is anyone familiar with this setup?
Consultant

Tim Halligan

Re: Mixing live radio for Tennis
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:57:13 AM »

I doubt that any tournament organiser would be happy with your main commentators being court-side, purely to stop the players getting annoyed by the babbling.

Certainly Wimbledon has the commentators inside the stadium, sometimes with tv studios attached...the longer-serving networks get priority indoor positions with views of the court, while newcomers get placed either in the bowels of the main stadium, or in demountable huts outside...and they commentate from the video feed.

In your case, I assume there is no video feed...so your guys need to see the court, right?

There's no reason why you and your commentators can't be in the same structure...you'd most likely be mixing on cans anyway...and that way you keep an eye on your talking heads' mic techniques, and keeping their drinks away from the comms panels etc.

So...multicore to the court for your ball effects mics and the umpire split, and your talking heads and crowd effects mics on local inputs.

HTH

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world.

Alex Donkle

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »

I doubt that any tournament organiser would be happy with your main commentators being court-side, purely to stop the players getting annoyed by the babbling.

Thanks, I was thinking more like basketball where the commentators are usually courtside, but that's a much louder sport so you've got a good point it'd be much more noticeable / annoying for Tennis. The Tennis stadium is equipped for TV broadcast, so commentating from the OB truck video feed in a demountable hut is another option that may work. (I'd love to be inside the stadium, but the stadium is only partially covered so I'd likely need a separate tent to cover the board and I double they'll want that in a publicly visible area.
Consultant

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »

Thanks, I was thinking more like basketball where the commentators are usually courtside, but that's a much louder sport so you've got a good point it'd be much more noticeable / annoying for Tennis. The Tennis stadium is equipped for TV broadcast, so commentating from the OB truck video feed in a demountable hut is another option that may work. (I'd love to be inside the stadium, but the stadium is only partially covered so I'd likely need a separate tent to cover the board and I double they'll want that in a publicly visible area.

Why does the board need to be covered by a tent?  Are they going to play in the rain?  If it does rain, cover your rig with a tarp and wait it out. With a pop up tent, you would have to do that anyway, as they don't protect from side rain at all.

Brian Jojade

Kevin Graf

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »

If it starts to storm, a whole bunch of things are going to happen all at once. You may not succeed in getting a tarp secured.
Speedskater

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »

If it starts to storm, a whole bunch of things are going to happen all at once. You may not succeed in getting a tarp secured.

My question is why is the mixer for broadcast located in the stadium at all? 

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

A lot of the radio guys I see at Big Ten football/basketball games have a little mixer that connects directly to Internet/ISDN/whatever. They sit right next to or right behind the talking heads... assuming the talking heads don't mix themselves in the first place.

If you can't fit most of it into a carry-on suitcase you're probably traveling heavy.

Alex Donkle

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »

Why does the board need to be covered by a tent?  Are they going to play in the rain?  If it does rain, cover your rig with a tarp and wait it out. With a pop up tent, you would have to do that anyway, as they don't protect from side rain at all.

This will be going on in the middle of the day, so I'm thinking most of shade to keep the sun off the board. (Keep is slightly cooler, easier to read LCD display)
Consultant

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.