ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decent 2x18" subwoofer  (Read 12154 times)

Helge A. Bentsen

Re: Decent 2x18" subwoofer
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »

Interesting.

Not really, just more work.
People tend to choose what they know instead of the unknown.
I think it's something like 4x TH118 in norway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »

People tend to choose what they know instead of the unknown.

Fortunately, some people don't think that way or we would still be in the dark Ages  ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Helge A. Bentsen

Decent 2x18" subwoofer
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »

Fortunately, some people don't think that way or we would still be in the dark Ages  ;D

:)

I try not to fight windmills, it's difficult enough to convince some people that the subs and mains doesn't have to be from the same maker as long as they're quality products.

To put it into perspective. If I said "I got Danley SH50 over Danley 2x12 horn subs" people would say "meh, maybe".
If I said "I got Danley SH50 over 2x12" labsubs" half of the BEs would say "meh, maybe", the other half "omg, you can't mix subs and tops from different manufacturers"....

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:51:31 PM by Helge A. Bentsen »

John L Nobile

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »

You have some TH118s up there John?

Nope. I got 2 SBH218's and I was hoping to hear them kick tonight. The BE doesn't seem to like low end so I'm going to have to wait. He had the sub amps at about quarter power for soundcheck.

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »

Rider issues. I had Danley in the past, it was a constant uphill struggle with BEs.

I can relate. I'm expecting some problems in the future.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »

The band engineer is trimming the front panel levels on your amps?  Does this happen often with your system?  Thats a new one to me.

Nope. I got 2 SBH218's and I was hoping to hear them kick tonight. The BE doesn't seem to like low end so I'm going to have to wait. He had the sub amps at about quarter power for soundcheck.

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »

The band engineer is trimming the front panel levels on your amps?  Does this happen often with your system?  Thats a new one to me.

No, he didn't touch the amps. The 1/4 power is an estimate from checking the amp meters during the show. Not exact science but there was a lot more power available. OTOH, you could hear all the intricate 4 part harmonies and the nice guitar work. It was a very good Eagles tribute band that I really enjoyed but low end is not really their thing.

The band coming this weekend is going to put them to the test however.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »

Like many things, unless you're a "designer" or other precious fucktwit the commercial aspect tends to make final decisions for you.  If Helge had problems "selling" Danley or any other brand to the BEs or PMs that make the decisions about which local/regional provider to use, the shop with the familiar products will win almost every time.

Don't get me wrong, Keith, I liked most of the Danley products I've heard and consider them to be superior in several ways... but those are MY impressions and after tilting at windmills with other products that were "better than many" we moved back to Things People Have Heard Of.

Touring theatre, even a "concert reproduction" like Rain, is significantly different than running a local or regional production shop.  If you rented cars and there was a demand for Ford Focus, you'd have a hard time pitching the Tesla fleet out back no matter how much "better" they might be.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »

If you rented cars and there was a demand for Ford Focus, you'd have a hard time pitching the Tesla fleet out back no matter how much "better" they might be.

This is very true and it makes it hard for a younger company to get accepted into this side of the business.

However, it seems that the tide is gradually turning according to at least one production manager at a venue with a complete Danley rig. When they originally installed the system a few years ago, he had to have a backup line array system on call to get the guys coming through his venue to just listen to the Danley rig. These days the guys coming in have at least heard of Danley and are interested in getting a chance to drive it.

Perhaps one day it will be some people's preferred choice.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.