ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Growler  (Read 6366 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Dead Growler
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »

Got the dust cap removed but no tinsel leads or other cool wires can be seen. So I peer thru the frame at the underside of the spider and that's when I see the burn mark.

Looks like I'm SOL. Replacement driver comes tomorrow. Just didn't want to toss this nice assembly.
At this stage-I would go ahead and cut out the whole assembly.

This is to give you some information.

The burn mark you see could simply be a weak point in the coil that finally failed.

Or the coil could be "nicely roasted".

The reason for further investigation is to give you a clue as to how hard you have been driving the cabinet.

If the coil is nice and clean-then the burn mark could simply be a flaw in that particular driver.

But if it shows signs of over power, then you need to look closer at your limiter settings.

I like to use failures as "information gathering" to help me reduce future failures-if possible.

Post some photos when you get it cut out, to get some more opinions on the failure.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »

At this stage-I would go ahead and cut out the whole assembly.

This is to give you some information.

The burn mark you see could simply be a weak point in the coil that finally failed.

Or the coil could be "nicely roasted".

The reason for further investigation is to give you a clue as to how hard you have been driving the cabinet.

If the coil is nice and clean-then the burn mark could simply be a flaw in that particular driver.

But if it shows signs of over power, then you need to look closer at your limiter settings.

I like to use failures as "information gathering" to help me reduce future failures-if possible.

Post some photos when you get it cut out, to get some more opinions on the failure.

Dust cap off, looking down thru the coil, former and magnet.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »

in the meantime, here are the two (old on the left vs new on the right) drivers. Need to pick up some good sealing weather strip before installing the new driver.

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »

Apparently some increase in the Xmax.  Ya think?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.