ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A Few Questions for Danley SM80 Users  (Read 10878 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Re: A Few Questions for Danley SM80 Users
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 03:09:59 pm »

You can loosen up the limiters quite a bit.
The peak should be closer to 150V instead of 80V.

I am pretty sure (not totally sure) the peak voltage is 1.414x the normal RMS of the waveform.

So if you figure 400 watts @ 8 ohms that is 56V.  Double that for the peak rating of the speaker and you have 112V.

Multiply that by 1.414 and you get the "peak" voltage.

So maybe somewhere around 110-120V would offer a bit of headroom-especially since the attack is kinda slow.

I am not sure exactly how the true power circuit works.  I have an X8 that I will be doing presets for, and will be playing around with it in the future.

My guess is that you could move it to 200 watts without a problem.

The sentinel circuit provides 2 levels of protection for the HF driver.  There is a continuous level that is based on the current draw of the driver.  It does nothing until the rating is exceeded.

So short bursts over the "rating" are fine and nothing happens, but when the overall level is to high for to long, it will kick in and reduce the level to a safe point.

When the signal level "behaves within a normal range" the circuit is no longer active.

There is also a peak limiter that has a .01ms attack time that will limit the short term peaks.

So if you operate the speaker within normal ranges with normal material, the internal limiter will do nothing.  It "stays out of the way" and does not affect the signal sonically in any way.

But when you get close to the level of damage, it will kick in to protect itself.

Ivan,

Is the Sentinel circuit available for use with other speakers, like the ZXa5? If not, are there plans to make them available in the future?

Thanks,
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Frederik RosenkjŠr

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 03:29:50 pm »

I am not sure exactly how the true power circuit works.  I have an X8 that I will be doing presets for, and will be playing around with it in the future.

Sounds great. If you're taking requests or need inspiration as to which to do first, I have just placed an order of 2 x SH96HO, so presets for that for the X-amps would be great. That way I won't have to copy them off a Xilica or something (and no - I am/was not going to just copy the parameters/numbers  :o )
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 05:15:51 pm »

Ivan,

Is the Sentinel circuit available for use with other speakers, like the ZXa5? If not, are there plans to make them available in the future?

Thanks,
That is not a Danley product.  So no.

They are available as a "aftermarket" or add on for older Danley products that don't have them.

Almost all of the products being sold have them standard.

There are a few I have not had a chance to do yet.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »

Sounds great. If you're taking requests or need inspiration as to which to do first, I have just placed an order of 2 x SH96HO, so presets for that for the X-amps would be great. That way I won't have to copy them off a Xilica or something (and no - I am/was not going to just copy the parameters/numbers  :o )
The SH96HO and SM80s will be the first products to get presets for.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 07:01:02 pm »

Just curious, is Sentinel a D-Fend variant or something else?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 01:40:47 am »

The sentinel circuit provides 2 levels of protection for the HF driver.  There is a continuous level that is based on the current draw of the driver.  It does nothing until the rating is exceeded.

So short bursts over the "rating" are fine and nothing happens, but when the overall level is to high for to long, it will kick in and reduce the level to a safe point.

When the signal level "behaves within a normal range" the circuit is no longer active.

There is also a peak limiter that has a .01ms attack time that will limit the short term peaks.

So if you operate the speaker within normal ranges with normal material, the internal limiter will do nothing.  It "stays out of the way" and does not affect the signal sonically in any way.

But when you get close to the level of damage, it will kick in to protect itself.

"Kick in and reduce the level"  just exactly how does it do this?  Does it raise the impedance towards the amplifier to decrease the output?  If not where does the current go?  How could it sink that extra power? 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 07:25:07 am »

Just curious, is Sentinel a D-Fend variant or something else?
To be honest-we were seriously looking at the D-fend product.

But the price came in a lot higher than anticipated and there were some other limitations.

The Sentinel is a more limited circuit and we only use it on the highs on most products.

There are some variations of it that get used on the mids and even some subs.

Since it is a current based product, it responds well to varying impedance load.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 07:30:04 am »

"Kick in and reduce the level"  just exactly how does it do this?  Does it raise the impedance towards the amplifier to decrease the output?  If not where does the current go?  How could it sink that extra power?
Yes, it is  a series circuit that raises the impedance when in overload condition.

There is a "time constant" that determines when it "kicks in".  For a sever overload it kicks in real quick.  But for mild overloads, it takes much longer to start to work.

Kind of like you hand over a flame.  It you put it close, you must remove it quickly.  But if it is further away, you can leave it in place longer before removing it.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 08:28:26 am »

What is this "X8" that you mentioned Ivan?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 08:37:00 am »

What is this "X8" that you mentioned Ivan?

8 channel variant of the Powersoft X-Series that Frederik already mentioned.

http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/touring/x-series

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 08:37:00 am ┬╗

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.