ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A Few Questions for Danley SM80 Users  (Read 11127 times)

Robert Piascik

• Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)
Re: A Few Questions for Danley SM80 Users
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »

I power my SM80 with Crown IT8K one channel each

I have TH118 subs, usually 2 or 3 subs per top also powered with IT8K one channel each

I usually fly the tops but also have USS TS-110 (air powered and with leveling leg) to get them way up

I have both the K&M tilters (not so good with this size speaker) and the BT-12 tilters (which I just got and haven't used with the SM80 yet - I have used them with Yamaha DSR112 and they are very good although very expensive)

I have blown up both the HF and the LF and now have a complete pair of spares just in case, they are easy to swap out (if you can see through your tears - sniff, sniff). Parts are available but usually I can't be without while waiting for new parts to be shipped.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

Rick Powell

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 06:06:11 pm »

I would like to add a question...

How are you getting the SM80s up in the air if not flying from above?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Installed the K&M M20 thread screw base in my subs. I have a set of short 30" rods for low ceilings, a set of adjustable rods to get them 54" in the air where practical, and a pair of the K&M tilt ends to aim them down a few degrees (maybe will get the BT-12's in the future).

I previously had regular pole cups on both ends but the SM80's were too wobbly on them (and got tired of trying to keep the rods from falling out and clanging on the ground when we took the tops off the subs).  M20 screw mount is the only way to go for something of this weight.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:09:55 pm by Rick Powell »

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 10:58:52 pm »

It looks like most of you are using some very powerful amplifiers on the SM80.
The SM80 spec sheet states "Recommended Amplifier Power 400 watts continuous, 1600 watts peak".
I am using a QSC PLX 3602 that is rated 775 wpc at 8 ohms.
Is the 775 watts a continuous or a peak rating? If 775 is continuous, what would the peak rating be?

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »

The only spare part you might want to have on hand is a replacement HF diaphragm.  Just in case one breaks.

All the Sm80s in the last couple of years have the Danley Sentinel HF protection that provides a multistage (peak and continuous) protection for the HF. It stays "out of the way" until it is needed for protection.

So that should limit the overpowering issue.  But since the HF driver is the most fragile driver in all loudspeakers, it is nto a bad idea to keep one.

It is easy to replace, no soldering needed.  It is self aligning and just bolts to the back of the woofer.

I remember hearing the coax driver is made by B&C. I looked at their website and there are two 12" coax models with 80X80 dispersion.
Can you tell me which driver is used in the SM80?
What tools are required to replace the HF driver and about how long would it take to do?

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:25 am »

It looks like most of you are using some very powerful amplifiers on the SM80.
The SM80 spec sheet states "Recommended Amplifier Power 400 watts continuous, 1600 watts peak".
I am using a QSC PLX 3602 that is rated 775 wpc at 8 ohms.
Is the 775 watts a continuous or a peak rating? If 775 is continuous, what would the peak rating be?

The ratings used in pro audio amplifiers are peak power. Your 775 watt amp is capable of 775 watts just before it clips. With proper continuous and peak limiting you could power the SM80 with a 1600 watt amp. But it's much safer to run about half that unless you have multi-stage limiters available.

Your 775 watt amp would be a very good match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07:38 am »

The ratings used in pro audio amplifiers are peak power. Your 775 watt amp is capable of 775 watts just before it clips. With proper continuous and peak limiting you could power the SM80 with a 1600 watt amp. But it's much safer to run about half that unless you have multi-stage limiters available.

Your 775 watt amp would be a very good match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.

It is often a misconception that you MUST power a loudspeaker with the peak power.

Because of the whole "underpowered" idea of damage.

But if you use a amp of the peak rating, and then drive it into clip or bury it in limiting, it will actually damage the speaker MUCH faster than a smaller amp would.

But in reality, with a high sensitivity loudspeaker, you often don't need as large of an amp to do the job.

It depends on the particular job and level required.

As usual-it depends-------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 08:14:15 am »

I remember hearing the coax driver is made by B&C. I looked at their website and there are two 12" coax models with 80X80 dispersion.
Can you tell me which driver is used in the SM80?
What tools are required to replace the HF driver and about how long would it take to do?
It is the 12CXN76

You need a phillips head to remove the grill and outer screws on the horn.

Then a standard hex key (I forgot the size-sorry) to remove the 4 large bolts holding the horn on and the bolts on the woofer.

Then a metric hex key to remove the 4 bolts holding the diaphragm in.

A universal set of standard and hex would have what you need.

How long-it depends on you skill set.  Some people take a lot longer than others.

I have not timed it, but with a phillips in a drill, I would say less than 10 minutes. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 08:47:15 am »

I power mine with a QSC CBA 2000 (Clair) for sidewash and an LG FP 10000Q when I use them for mains.
Using K&M crank stands to raise them. I can still get them on the stands at my age but I wouldn't want them any heavier. Love having a handle to turn to get them up.

Wondering what xover and eq settings work best for you. I have tried them at 80 hz for speech with a boost at 90 for a comedy act, speech only. Excellent results. Thanks to Ivan for the suggestion.

Frederik RosenkjŠr

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 10:05:29 am »

I use Powersoft X amps for my SM80s, with a peak limiter set to 80V, 0.3ms attack (the fastest the amp will do) and the TruePower limiter set to 100W. It's been run into mild limiting occasionally with these settings with no problems. I have a feeling it could go higher than this, but I haven't had any need to try it out.

My SM80s don't have Sentinel circuits, but I have ordered them for the four I have. Maybe I could loosen up the attack time somewhat with those installed - what do you think, Ivan?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 01:56:47 pm »

I use Powersoft X amps for my SM80s, with a peak limiter set to 80V, 0.3ms attack (the fastest the amp will do) and the TruePower limiter set to 100W. It's been run into mild limiting occasionally with these settings with no problems. I have a feeling it could go higher than this, but I haven't had any need to try it out.

My SM80s don't have Sentinel circuits, but I have ordered them for the four I have. Maybe I could loosen up the attack time somewhat with those installed - what do you think, Ivan?
You can loosen up the limiters quite a bit.
The peak should be closer to 150V instead of 80V.

I am pretty sure (not totally sure) the peak voltage is 1.414x the normal RMS of the waveform.

So if you figure 400 watts @ 8 ohms that is 56V.  Double that for the peak rating of the speaker and you have 112V.

Multiply that by 1.414 and you get the "peak" voltage.

So maybe somewhere around 110-120V would offer a bit of headroom-especially since the attack is kinda slow.

I am not sure exactly how the true power circuit works.  I have an X8 that I will be doing presets for, and will be playing around with it in the future.

My guess is that you could move it to 200 watts without a problem.

The sentinel circuit provides 2 levels of protection for the HF driver.  There is a continuous level that is based on the current draw of the driver.  It does nothing until the rating is exceeded.

So short bursts over the "rating" are fine and nothing happens, but when the overall level is to high for to long, it will kick in and reduce the level to a safe point.

When the signal level "behaves within a normal range" the circuit is no longer active.

There is also a peak limiter that has a .01ms attack time that will limit the short term peaks.

So if you operate the speaker within normal ranges with normal material, the internal limiter will do nothing.  It "stays out of the way" and does not affect the signal sonically in any way.

But when you get close to the level of damage, it will kick in to protect itself.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 01:56:47 pm ┬╗

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.