ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: db technologies line array offerings  (Read 28029 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
db technologies line array offerings
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »

Trying to wrap my head around the db tech line array series as part of getting familiar with the small line array world. There is T12, and then T8, which replaced T4, then there is K5 and Vio. What's what? Vio looks like maybe T12 replacement, but K5 and T8 seem confusing.

thirtha chengappa

Re: db technologies line array offerings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »

Trying to wrap my head around the db tech line array series as part of getting familiar with the small line array world. There is T12, and then T8, which replaced T4, then there is K5 and Vio. What's what? Vio looks like maybe T12 replacement, but K5 and T8 seem confusing.

Dear samuel,

The DVA line array series consists of the T4, the T8, and the T12. Then comes the K series Namely the K5, and finally The VIO series consisting the VIO 210.

The T4 integrates with the T12, But for some unexplained reason does not integrate with the T8. The T8 integrates with the T12. All the T series line arrays are 3 way active. The T8 and T12 are RD net capable. The T4 has only one on board DSP accessible via a rotary switch. It has no RD net capability for remote access and monitoring.

The K series uses the same fly ware as the T4 and the T8 but it is a different beast all together, and does not integrate with the T series. The DSP processing is radically different when compared to the T series. The K5 uses FIR filters, and has a duel rotary switch to access its DSP. The K5 does not integrate with the T series. This again is a 3 way active module. The K5 has no RD net capability for remote access and monitoring. The module uses a 3rd generation amplifier module unlike the T8 and T12 which use a 2nd generation amplifier module.

The VIO 210 is a 2 way active module. This module uses a all new hardware design, and will not integrate with any other line array in the DVA series. The VIO 210 has RD net on board for remote access and monitoring, along with 2 rotary switches to access the DSP.

The K5 is supposed to be the new T4. both are sold at nearly the same price point.

Hope this helps,

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:54:24 PM »

I used to own 16x T4, and while not technically discontinued, I imagine that's not far away. T4 was the 'first product' from DB as I understand it, at least the first that brought them attention from North America, and it took several years for it to catch on. For my business, it was the first real line array option at the right price point : if you're buying gear to do the job and not meet riders, it could sound quite good and let me use the phrases "three way" and  'line array'. Super easy to use. Prediction is basic but hasn't ever let us down.

We then upgraded to 12x T12 for larger events, and used T4 as front-fill. They will rig together but are not acoustically compatible. Sounds great and adds all the onboard DSP & monitoring you'd expect. Again, easy to use and a great value, never had a hard time making it sound quite good.

Sold out T4's after 3 years of use and bought 8xT8, which are physically the same as a T4, have added splay options, and internally more like a 'baby T12' - acoustical compatible and the same DSP, sound great together. These have become the jem for us, quite a bit more output over the T4 at the same size/weight, and very versatile, I just put in an order for 8 more.

Along with S20 and S30 subs, we've had nothing but success with them. We're provided for several  B-level touring acts and festivals, and aside from the (somewhat expected) concerns from visiting engineers before the date, once they hear them it's all good. Like any other speaker system, properly deploying the right amount of tools for the job always gets the job done. They have a reasonably 'neutral sound' for my tastes - they don't 'sound like JBL' or 'sound like EAW'.

I have no experience with K5 or Vio, but my guess is that K5 is the continuation of T4 for users that don't require on-board DSP beyond presets and want a similar price point.

Vio looks like a dual 10" 2-way to compete with the Similar offerings from other manufacturers, no network/DSP, and the 3x18" cardioid sub is intriguing, and I like the rigging on paper.  I'll guess it's priced just below the T8.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, PM or email.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:56:57 PM by Ryan McLeod »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:14:42 PM »

Looks like Vio has networking, and claims 3db more output than T8. I might need to see a price list to understand it all. It also has powercon true1, interestingly, and one 3x18" subwoofer configuration.

thirtha chengappa

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »

Looks like Vio has networking, and claims 3db more output than T8. I might need to see a price list to understand it all. It also has powercon true1, interestingly, and one 3x18" subwoofer configuration.

That is correct, after all, the VIO has a two 10 inch woofers  and a 3 inch VC compression driver. The amplifier also produces 900 watts. The T8 produces 700 watts. The VIO produces 135 db versus the T12 which does 136 db. How that is possible is a mystery to me. The price for the VIO is not out yet, but I am presuming it will be slightly more than the T8. The key difference is the 2 way vs 3 way configuration. Maybe this is what is dictating the SPL figures Too.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »

Anyone have db tech T8 in DC/Baltimore?

Peter Morris

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 04:59:02 AM »

Dear samuel,

The DVA line array series consists of the T4, the T8, and the T12. Then comes the K series Namely the K5, and finally The VIO series consisting the VIO 210.

The T4 integrates with the T12, But for some unexplained reason does not integrate with the T8. The T8 integrates with the T12. All the T series line arrays are 3 way active. The T8 and T12 are RD net capable. The T4 has only one on board DSP accessible via a rotary switch. It has no RD net capability for remote access and monitoring.

The K series uses the same fly ware as the T4 and the T8 but it is a different beast all together, and does not integrate with the T series. The DSP processing is radically different when compared to the T series. The K5 uses FIR filters, and has a duel rotary switch to access its DSP. The K5 does not integrate with the T series. This again is a 3 way active module. The K5 has no RD net capability for remote access and monitoring. The module uses a 3rd generation amplifier module unlike the T8 and T12 which use a 2nd generation amplifier module.

The VIO 210 is a 2 way active module. This module uses a all new hardware design, and will not integrate with any other line array in the DVA series. The VIO 210 has RD net on board for remote access and monitoring, along with 2 rotary switches to access the DSP.

The K5 is supposed to be the new T4. both are sold at nearly the same price point.

Hope this helps,
If you do that, you have to add some delay to the T4's ... its in the manual somewhere

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 05:03:21 AM »

That is correct, after all, the VIO has a two 10 inch woofers  and a 3 inch VC compression driver. The amplifier also produces 900 watts. The T8 produces 700 watts. The VIO produces 135 db versus the T12 which does 136 db. How that is possible is a mystery to me. The price for the VIO is not out yet, but I am presuming it will be slightly more than the T8. The key difference is the 2 way vs 3 way configuration. Maybe this is what is dictating the SPL figures Too.

The T12 is  about 1500 watts 3 way Vs 900 watts 2 way for the VIO.

The VIO is a wooden construction which I suspect will add to the price ... I also suspect it will be a very impressive little box.

thirtha chengappa

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »

Dear peter, thank you for that clarification. We have 24 T4 modules, and 10 T12 modules but we have never mixed the two to date. Thanks for the suggestion. It will help me in the future. Also, you were right about the discontinuation of the T4. I checked this morning on their new website, and the T4 is no more in production. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:24:50 AM by thirtha chengappa »

Peter Morris

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 06:14:34 AM »

Dear peter, thank you for that clarification. We have 24 T4 modules, and 10 T12 modules but we have never mixed the two to date. Thanks for the suggestion. It will help me in the future. Also, you were right about the discontinuation of the T4. I checked this morning on their new website, and the T4 is no more in production.

I think the delay on the T4s is 0.3ms when used with the T12's ... can't find where it says that at the moment :-\

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 06:14:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.