ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help choosing wireless IEM systems  (Read 4101 times)

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
Help choosing wireless IEM systems
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »

Shure PSM 900 or PSM 300?

What would I really be gaining choosing the 900 over the 300?

Which of these two models is recommended and why?  If there are other models you would recommend over these two, please state models and why.

Trying to stay around the $1200 mark or less.  If the 300 series work well, I'd prefer to save the money and buy them for around $700 each.  We are looking to get 3 systems total.

Thank you,
Randall

John Chiara

Re: Help choosing wireless IEM systems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »

Which of these two models is recommended and why?  If there are other models you would recommend over these two, please state models and why.

Trying to stay around the $1200 mark or less.  If the 300 series work well, I'd prefer to save the money and buy them for around $700 each.  We are looking to get 3 systems total.

Thank you,
Randall

Mipro 800 series are only $550 each. I bought them over Senn's. No complaints or problems...superior connection.

DavidTurner

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »

I can't speak to the quality of the PSM 300, but I use 9 channels of PSM 900 daily...they are rock solid!

Thank you,
Randall

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »

Thank you,
Randall

900 has a wider tuning range per band split (36Mhz vs 24 for the 300).

The 900 can be switched to 10/50/100mw rf transmit power (might not be an issue depending on the distances you are trying to cover...10mw can cover a club stage from side stage). Psm300 does 10/30mw fixed depending on transmitter range.

The 900 transmitter can be tuned in .025Mhz steps over the transmitter band split while the 300 has 15 factory preset frequencies per band split. More tuning options makes life easier in crowded/noisy rf environments...which is getting to be more and more places every day.

If you can wait a while...you can see what the post auction TV channel landscape will look like in your area. Before you pick a frequency range to buy.

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
Help choosing wireless IEM systems
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »

When is auction over to find out what would be best?
Also, am I correct in reading that I would have 39 months after the sale to use my equipment if it is in that range?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:09:16 PM by Randall Cook »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »

When is auction over to find out what would be best?
Also, am I correct in reading that I would have 39 months after the sale to use my equipment if it is in that range?

Yeah, but from what we're hearing-- sounds like if you can stay under 570MHz you should be safe. For PSM900, that would be G6 or G7. For the PSM300, that would be G20 - J13 MIGHT be ok, but I would avoid it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »

Good because the area I'm in recommends the G6.  Thank you.  I know it's not for certain, but it's a possibility. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »

sounds like if you can stay under 570MHz you should be safe.

Safe in that your gear probably won't become illegal to operate, but nowhere is "safe". When the auction and the repacking are finished we will "know" where we can't go, and while above 600MHz (570?) will be almost completely off limits, whats below that point may also be unusable. Where there are currently holes between TV channels that we fit our wireless mics, IEMs, and comm into, once all the OTA TV channels are relocated to below 600MHz there may not be.

If I had to buy wireless gear right now I would be looking for VHF solutions. Once everything happens I'm sure the manufacturers will introduce gear that can tune to the small spaces that are left above and below the 600MHz cutoff, but it's not out now, and won't be for a while.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.