ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need major help with wiring issues  (Read 11455 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Need major help with wiring issues
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 02:04:36 AM »

So I should look into a new phone number once I'm done too?

You touch it you own it.  Applies to anything normal people don't understand.

Unless wheelbarrows of cash were involved you are fucked for life.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 06:55:59 AM »

Do all speaker wires come to the speaker block, or are any speakers linked directly to other speakers (in the install / mounting zones)?

David Allred

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »

Have you considered not bi-amping?  The tweeter has a x-over cap (assuming that it is still there).
Parallel a woofer to a tweeter as a test.  How does it sound (eliminate the DC24)?
If it sounds good (OK), that will open up a lot of possibilities with the 3 amps.

The woofer is spec'd as 8 ohms.
The tweeter is spec'd as 4~8 ohms.  Can someone decipher that spec?  Does it have to do with the cap in place vs removed?  Or something else?

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »

Hello all,

I am currently working on an existing sound system that has been having some issues and i havent really been able to fix pretty much any of them.  I generally work on home audio but this soundsystem is at one of the local bars and is giving me quite the hassle.   I have made diagrams to better show what i am working with.

The are having their input come from an ipad using the 3.5mm audio jack. It splits the left and right channel which then goes into input 1 & 2 of a Rane SM 26B mixer.   The signal that comes out of the 1/4" left and right of the Rane Mixer merges into 2 xlr cables.  the left from the output going to the left pin of the xlr and right to right pin.   The xlr cables then go into the channel 1 & 2 of a Rane DC 24 compressor.  The channel 1 signal from the DC24 then comes out and spilts to two Crest Audio FA800 amps.  One of the amps handling the left channel lows and the other the rights.   The second channel of the DC 24 comes out and splits to the left and right channel of the tweeters. 

On the connectivity block  they are connected in series parrallel,  with the positive of the amp connected at speakers 1 & 9 for the highs, 1&9 for the lows, and the negative of the amp of 18&20 for the highs and lows.     The tweeters they are using are pyramid tw44 and woofers are goldwood gw-8pc/8.

After rewiring and firing up the amps.  It was a disaster.  Some speakers worked.  others didnt.  All and all it just sounded horrible.   Some of their speakers are blown or having issues but i dont know where to begin to fix these issues in a timely manner.   Would a blown speaker connected in series like i have them effect the rest of the ones on the series?    Any help and expertise anyone could lend would be GREATLY appreciated.   Thanks Much

Gene

17,18,19&20 are probably loud and all the rest sound like they're barely working I'd bet

All of your crossover/compressor issues aside, your series/parallel config isn't going to work well unless you ditch a speaker and make it 3 strings of 3 speakers each
If all speakers are 8ohms then the 17+18 string will be 16ohms and the other two strings will be 32ohms
Let's say your amp is capable of 50V output, then the 17+18 string is drawing 156W and the others are drawing only 78W each. not a super huge deal until you notice that the 156W is divided between two speakers (so 78W per speaker for #17&18) but the 78W on the other string is divided by 4, so every other speaker gets 19.5W

Also, since it sounds like the speakers are all wired back to one point where you're able to reconfigure them then that means that the total wire length for the longer strings is, well, longer!

I still think Mac's advice should be at the top of your list. But I thought you might be interested to know what's going on

Jason

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »

After you follow the directions to get the crossover hooked up correctly, slowly back out the door and run like hell. Don't look back!

Having that many speakers wired in series/parallel is a disaster looking for a place to happen. It was ill conceived from the start, and repairs are not going to make it better. Distance yourself from this before it erupts.

Mac

^^ This is the best advice in the entire thread.

Series/parallel wiring conventions are sometimes acceptable if you're trying to hook up something like four 4-ohm speakers to a 4-ohm amp. Once you start to get beyond that you'd better know EXACTLY what you're doing and be prepared to service that system for the rest of it's useful life, because no one else will want to spend the time to figure it out.

You're really not doing the owner any favors by adding more tape to this band-aid. Rip it off and stitch the wound up with some 70v speakers.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:36 AM »

Do all speaker wires come to the speaker block, or are any speakers linked directly to other speakers (in the install / mounting zones)?

All the speakers come back to the block.  Each speaker with its own wire for the tweeter and one for the woofer.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »

17,18,19&20 are probably loud and all the rest sound like they're barely working I'd bet

All of your crossover/compressor issues aside, your series/parallel config isn't going to work well unless you ditch a speaker and make it 3 strings of 3 speakers each
If all speakers are 8ohms then the 17+18 string will be 16ohms and the other two strings will be 32ohms
Let's say your amp is capable of 50V output, then the 17+18 string is drawing 156W and the others are drawing only 78W each. not a super huge deal until you notice that the 156W is divided between two speakers (so 78W per speaker for #17&18) but the 78W on the other string is divided by 4, so every other speaker gets 19.5W

Also, since it sounds like the speakers are all wired back to one point where you're able to reconfigure them then that means that the total wire length for the longer strings is, well, longer!

I still think Mac's advice should be at the top of your list. But I thought you might be interested to know what's going on

Jason

Jason,
if you have a better configuration of that speaker block by dropping a speaker, i am all ears.  I dont think one missing will effect much.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »

^^ This is the best advice in the entire thread.

Series/parallel wiring conventions are sometimes acceptable if you're trying to hook up something like four 4-ohm speakers to a 4-ohm amp. Once you start to get beyond that you'd better know EXACTLY what you're doing and be prepared to service that system for the rest of it's useful life, because no one else will want to spend the time to figure it out.

You're really not doing the owner any favors by adding more tape to this band-aid. Rip it off and stitch the wound up with some 70v speakers.

Im begining to think that moving might be a good solution as well.  im begining to see this "favor" is turning out to eat up alot of my personal time.   Id just like to get the system to the point of functional and stable.   If yout have some suggestions on what it would take to do that id happily listen.  I wont even try to pretend im anywhere in the same league of knowledge that everyone here has.

David Allred

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »

How are the woofers and tweeters mounted?  Side by side, stacked, spaced, etc.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »

David,

If I'm on the same page as you than they are spaced.
if you look at the speaker lay out in the bar a couple posts back, each number is a speaker box with a woofer and tweeter in it.  Each box location has a 2 wires ran back to the speaker block.  One for the woofer and one for the tweeter

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.