ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need major help with wiring issues  (Read 11457 times)

Gene Ragonese

Need major help with wiring issues
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »

Hello all,

I am currently working on an existing sound system that has been having some issues and i havent really been able to fix pretty much any of them.  I generally work on home audio but this soundsystem is at one of the local bars and is giving me quite the hassle.   I have made diagrams to better show what i am working with.

The are having their input come from an ipad using the 3.5mm audio jack. It splits the left and right channel which then goes into input 1 & 2 of a Rane SM 26B mixer.   The signal that comes out of the 1/4" left and right of the Rane Mixer merges into 2 xlr cables.  the left from the output going to the left pin of the xlr and right to right pin.   The xlr cables then go into the channel 1 & 2 of a Rane DC 24 compressor.  The channel 1 signal from the DC24 then comes out and spilts to two Crest Audio FA800 amps.  One of the amps handling the left channel lows and the other the rights.   The second channel of the DC 24 comes out and splits to the left and right channel of the tweeters. 

On the connectivity block  they are connected in series parrallel,  with the positive of the amp connected at speakers 1 & 9 for the highs, 1&9 for the lows, and the negative of the amp of 18&20 for the highs and lows.     The tweeters they are using are pyramid tw44 and woofers are goldwood gw-8pc/8.

After rewiring and firing up the amps.  It was a disaster.  Some speakers worked.  others didnt.  All and all it just sounded horrible.   Some of their speakers are blown or having issues but i dont know where to begin to fix these issues in a timely manner.   Would a blown speaker connected in series like i have them effect the rest of the ones on the series?    Any help and expertise anyone could lend would be GREATLY appreciated.   Thanks Much

Gene

David Allred

Re: Need major help with wiring issues
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »

Rules won't allow an answer until your name is changed to follow forum rules.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »

Rules won't allow an answer until your name is changed to follow forum rules.

My apologies on that issue. 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »

My apologies on that issue.

Why did you rewire? How was it wired before you changed it?

Your description of the wiring from the mixer through the compressor and then to the amps is confusing.

How is the signal connected to multiple amplifier channels? In the HF is is two while the LF is four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:31:51 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »

Are you sure of the model of the device between the mixer and the amps?

It doesn't make sense to have a compressor there. It should be a crossover.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »

Why did you rewire? How was it wired before you changed it?

Your description of the wiring from the mixer through the compressor and then to the amps is confusing.

I rewired it due to some speakers being disconnected on that block due to not working/blown.  There was no way to tell what speaker went to each location so I traced the wires from each speaker back to the speaker block.  It was wired in a series parallel manner before.  But not knowing what went where I figured it would be better to start fresh.

The whole setup for the input through the mixer  to the gate and then amps is confusing me as well.  I'm beginning to think eliminating the compressor, and getting a different mixer may cut out a great amount of issues.  If you could ask more direct of what you're looking to know with the connectivity I could explain it better.  It makes sense in my mind but I know my terminology and explanation isn't always the best.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »

Are you sure of the model of the device between the mixer and the amps?

It doesn't make sense to have a compressor there. It should be a crossover.

It is the Rane DC24.  It does have a crossover but into it.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:50:53 PM »

To answer your question in the OP, yes a blown speaker in series run will kill all speakers in that run.
Amp-S1-S2-S3 S4-Amp
In the signal chain above (speaker 1,2,3, & 4), S3 being blow or if the connection between S3 & S4 is cut, yields the same results.  No return to the amp, now sound.

I don't follow the drawing either.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:02:16 PM »

To answer your question in the OP, yes a blown speaker in series run will kill all speakers in that run.
Amp-S1-S2-S3 S4-Amp
In the signal chain above (speaker 1,2,3, & 4), S3 being blow or if the connection between S3 & S4 is cut, yields the same results.  No return to the amp, now sound.

I don't follow the drawing either.

I will edit that one to be more deceptive when I get back to the office.

What would be the best way to figure out what speakers need replacing?  Diconnecting them and measuring resistance there at the speaker block or removing each speaker and measuring at the terminals?

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:06 PM »

I will edit that one to be more deceptive when I get back to the office.

What would be the best way to figure out what speakers need replacing?  Diconnecting them and measuring resistance there at the speaker block or removing each speaker and measuring at the terminals?

If I read your speaker block correctly, + on 1 and - on 4 can be measured as a group.  However the jumper from +1 to +5 must be removed (+1 must be free) or the jumper from -4 must be removed.   One or the other.

If the circuit has continuity, all in that group are good.  Move on to the next group.  If the circuit is open, then all speakers in that group must be measured alone.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.