ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need major help with wiring issues  (Read 11501 times)

Gene Ragonese

Re: Need major help with wiring issues
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »

here is a little more detailed explanation of the speaker block.  The amp for the low left is connected bridged onto the speaker blocks low left in the same way as the highs.   Same goes for the right low. 

The key on the bottom hopefully better explains how each block of speakers is connected.

hopefully this clears up the connections of the equipment.  If it would be better to eliminate that DC24 compressor that is fine.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »

At least one of the problems is that according to the Rane manual,  nothing should be connected to the Chan 2 input of the DC24(it is not a stereo crossover unit). The left slide switch should be in the "separate" position, and the "crossover engage" switch should be depressed. http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/dc24man.pdf

Since your crossover output is mono, I would also pan the chan 1 and 2 mixer Ipod inputs to Left Main, and use a standard 1/4" TRS  cable to connect the Left Main Output of the mixer to the Chan 1 input of the crossover.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:07:47 PM by Scott Hofmann »
Scott Hofmann

Tim Steer

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

That cabling looks pretty bizarre. You seem to have some sort of custom splitter/combiner thing linking the left and right 1/4" outputs of the mixer and feeding them into Ch 1 and Ch 2 of the compressor/xover.

"Y combiners" are bad practice, as they cause two low impedance outputs to be connected in parallel with a high impedance input, resulting in the outputs loading each other down and producing distortion.

I don't know the DC24, but having just seen a photo of the unit, it looks like you shouldn't connect anything to the Ch 2 input if you are using it as a crossover.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »

Scott got it on the connections to the Rane DC24.

I take it you didn't document the speaker blocks before rewiring them?

The way you have it will not send equal signal level to all speakers.
Each chain in parallel should have the same number of speakers in it.

You can, with the amplifier disconnect from the speaker block, and the parallel jumpers removed, simply measure the resistance of each speaker to see if all are well. You should get a reading more than a few ohms but less than, say 20( to pick a random number higher than I would expect).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim Steer

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 05:27:36 PM »

Add to that the fact that the crossover's balanced input will attempt to reject signals in the common mode and you will probably end up hearing mostly the "S" component of your stereo music source (the difference between L and R). As Scott says, the first thing is to ditch that cable and just connect a straight 1/4" TRS between mixer and crossover.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »

Thank you all for all the help so far!!!  I have definitely bit off more than i know how to chew with this and would just like to get it up and working so i cant quit feeling like a fool.  Im almost to the point of wearing a dunce cap while doing anything on this system.  I will start measuring each speaker tonight and see what the Ohm reading is as Rob had said. That way hopefully i can eliminate blown speakers from the list of needing to be fixed.   From what i have taken from everyones input with the equipment it should connect as shown below. 

Using a 3.5mm to 1/4" from the ipad to input 1. A 1/4" to XLR from the left out of the mixer to channel 1 of the compressor in.  And then an XLR from Channel 1 out to the amps.   

Am i on the right track or still clueless?

also what is the best way to split the signal from the compressor out to the 3 amps?

Here is a layout of the speakers.   Any better way to have them connected on the speaker block than how i have laid them out?

Tim Steer

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »

No, leave the ipod connected as it is. Just pan both channels hard left on the mixer so the left and right channels are summed and sent to the L output.

Connect the mixer L output to Ch 1 input on the crossover.

On crossover, connect Ch 1/Low Out to low amplifier. Connect Ch 2 High/Combine Out to high amplifier.

Engage the crossover (switch on back of unit).

Set separate/combine switch to SEPARATE.

On front panel dial in crossover/comp/limiter settings appropriate to your setup. Ensure Ch 1 bypass is not switched in, as this will defeat the crossover.

Have a look at the manual, it explains it all pretty well http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/dc24man.pdf

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »

After you follow the directions to get the crossover hooked up correctly, slowly back out the door and run like hell. Don't look back!

Having that many speakers wired in series/parallel is a disaster looking for a place to happen. It was ill conceived from the start, and repairs are not going to make it better. Distance yourself from this before it erupts.

Mac

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »

No, leave the ipod connected as it is. Just pan both channels hard left on the mixer so the left and right channels are summed and sent to the L output.

Connect the mixer L output to Ch 1 input on the crossover.

On crossover, connect Ch 1/Low Out to low amplifier. Connect Ch 2 High/Combine Out to high amplifier.

Engage the crossover (switch on back of unit).

Set separate/combine switch to SEPARATE.

On front panel dial in crossover/comp/limiter settings appropriate to your setup. Ensure Ch 1 bypass is not switched in, as this will defeat the crossover.

Have a look at the manual, it explains it all pretty well http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/dc24man.pdf

Thanks for explaining that!  I was under the impression that something needed to go in on the channel 2 input to get anything to come out.

Gene Ragonese

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »

After you follow the directions to get the crossover hooked up correctly, slowly back out the door and run like hell. Don't look back!

Having that many speakers wired in series/parallel is a disaster looking for a place to happen. It was ill conceived from the start, and repairs are not going to make it better. Distance yourself from this before it erupts.

Mac

So I should look into a new phone number once I'm done too? 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.