ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: So disappointing - generators didn't arrive..  (Read 59224 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: So disappointing - generators didn't arrive..
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »

I was able to run another line from somewhere else.... And connected a few back line things that wouldn't affect PA ( got break music running) Electronic drums ( ahhh), the bass players combo, and one monitor but it is still happening.
You need to put the things that pull the current on another circuit.

Split up your mains-one side on one circuit and the other side on another circuit.

Or send somebody out for larger extension cables.

You could be losing voltage over the distance, but not pulling enough current to trip the breaker.

It is usually a COMBINATION of things
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Roland Clarke

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »

You need to put the things that pull the current on another circuit.

Split up your mains-one side on one circuit and the other side on another circuit.

Or send somebody out for larger extension cables.

You could be losing voltage over the distance, but not pulling enough current to trip the breaker.

It is usually a COMBINATION of things

I'm not sure about stateside, however we are lucky in the uk as we have predominantly ring mains that mean we can take 13amps each off two adjacent sockets 26 in all.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »

Something else to try.

Run another extension cable off of the outlet you have available.

And split some gear to that run.

You don't gain anything in terms of current available, but you will have LESS loss across the single run.

Use a large a cable as you can.  10Ga preferred, but 12 would work.

Send somebody out to home depot or lowes or even wallmart  Just don't let them get the small cheap stuff.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
So disappointing - generators didn't arrive..
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »

Debbie I have a 6500w generator at my office. It's a construction generator though, so it's not exactly clean power. It would work fine if you were using old iron amps but the new SRX might not like it.

I can give you the code to the lock box if you wanna try it. I'm moving today or else i'd bring it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

Run it through a surge protector, check the voltage, and it should work fine. I've used my Briggs and Stratton 6500 watt gen like this many times with absolutely no issues at all.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »

Meter the voltage

Split the pa across the two feeds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »

We are running the sound at the outdoor show we normally do and no generators... The bar owner forgot to order them. So we had to run a cable from the building wall... Only 1x 15 amp gfci - yep... Every few songs, the FOH goes off but everything else is ok.... Does that sound normal? Is it being caused by the lack of power? Why only the FOH?... Because it draws the most?

Powerless to help, sorry to say...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »

Powerless to help, sorry to say...
Maybe it is time for old fashioned wireless power  :)

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 11:41:26 PM »

You guys are the best.... Couldn't get to my phone to see the replies as it went from bad to worse but then ok again!....
I fought with it by drastically reducing the main fader, turning down the sub ( which broke my heart) and I basicly ran the faders all night - tweaking here  and there , reducing here and there ... And then the heavens opened on us... Fortunately I had bags, tarps and had planned for it but it was still a bit worrying. I was running round like an idiot on my own because it was Chris's band on stage- oh yes ... And I was singing through the headset too!
We lost some of our audience due to the rain ..BUT....we made it through- Yay..... On my way home now....tired - very tired!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »

Debbie I have a 6500w generator at my office. It's a construction generator though, so it's not exactly clean power. It would work fine if you were using old iron amps but the new SRX might not like it.

I can give you the code to the lock box if you wanna try it. I'm moving today or else i'd bring it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Scott- I appreciate the offer!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.