ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you call this?  (Read 8316 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What do you call this?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »

Ok so if you have enough boxes to run as the line array,  Then are the tops all using the same signal and not time delayed or is there a way to steer the sound by each box having it's own amp channel and a delay or other box to steer the signal?

There was a forum member that extensively used VRX and developed some sophisticated bi-amped (amp channel intensive) amplitude shading and time-based manipulation to make the rig behave better.  That was easily 5 or more years ago and with newer products and technology I don't think it worth the effort.  I think Ken did it because he had lots of inventory available and some fairly unique deployment requirements as well.

With the current crop of powered boxes that can be network controlled I'd be inclined to use them instead.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 04:22:09 PM »

There was a forum member that extensively used VRX and developed some sophisticated bi-amped (amp channel intensive) amplitude shading and time-based manipulation to make the rig behave better.  That was easily 5 or more years ago and with newer products and technology I don't think it worth the effort.  I think Ken did it because he had lots of inventory available and some fairly unique deployment requirements as well.

With the current crop of powered boxes that can be network controlled I'd be inclined to use them instead.
A lot of which has been made redundant with V5 tunings for VRX, at least if you're an ITech HD shop.  That said, I remain extremely impressed with the output and quality of the SRX-812P boxes I got last year - especially per $ spent. 

The other "new" feature that's finally available is the tilt-down pole socket - another formerly exclusive feature of constant curve boxes.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 11:22:10 PM »

The other "new" feature that's finally available is the tilt-down pole socket - another formerly exclusive feature of constant curve boxes.

I'm glad you put "new" in quotes :)  My "new" JBL SRX 712's that I bought 12 years ago have tilt-down pole sockets.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »

I have "one of THOSE clients" that wants dash arrays and is willing to (mostly) pay the premium cost.  We have 32 T4 in inventory and I must say it paid out almost faster than anything I've spent the boss's money on (the fastest was the EV xW15 monitors).

A really harsh top end usually means the little EQ switch on the back is set wrong for the deployment.  There's something funny around 4kHz, too, that's present at all drive levels and all deployments.  I suspect it's a horn resonance...

But it's possible to have a good show on them, and if you can hang an actual line (about 12 boxes) the T4 really comes together.

edit ps:  nobody pays $2k for them... or shouldn't have...

Thanks Tim, they were just a little harsh, nothing nasty and the switch was set for 0 as recommended for 2 boxes.  Just a touch of eq, wide Q, maybe 1.5 db centered around 3k took care of it.  The tent was pretty active too.

Nice to know they have done well for you.  I thought they were really nicely made, simple to rig up.

I had looked up the value online so that was a general statement.

Goal of my comment was that they did the job, 1/2 the weight of the KW153's I would have brought and the site lines were vastly improved.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 07:12:07 AM »

I'm glad you put "new" in quotes :)  My "new" JBL SRX 712's that I bought 12 years ago have tilt-down pole sockets.
Yeah - a few boxes had them but most didn't - HPRs, Mackies, the various PRX boxes, RCFs...

Bob Kidd

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »

Yeah - a few boxes had them but most didn't - HPRs, Mackies, the various PRX boxes, RCFs...

Not sure about all prxs 512s did. Smh
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:00:34 AM by Bob Kidd »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.