ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you call this?  (Read 8314 times)

Robert Lunceford

What do you call this?
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »

Not enough vertical length to perform as a line array. Would it be considered a point source system?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What do you call this?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:28 PM »

Constant curvature vertical array.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »

Not enough vertical length to perform as a line array. Would it be considered a point source system?

A homerun by the marketing departments. Strike-out swinging for the engineering folks.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:26 PM »

Yeah, see KLA, VRX. In the case of VRX, it's a 15° per box fixed angle of coverage. Add another box, 30°. 3 boxes, 45°. Keep on going. Try not to exceed 6 boxes (90°).

In our case, our VRX boxes go out alot and are great for small to medium sized events-- they're another tool in the tool box.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »

It fails to actually perform as either.  It is too short for even upper bass control and it is a preset constant curvature so you can't get coupling for higher SPL toward the top of the array by making it a "J" or progressive curvature and you can't get enough elements to use gain shading to much advantage.

As Robert said, a marketing success.  It looks like a line array, it is compact, it is lightweight, it is relatively inexpensive.  Unfortunately, in my experience, not the right choice (for anything) from an audio perspective.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:51:47 PM »

It fails to actually perform as either.  It is too short for even upper bass control and it is a preset constant curvature so you can't get coupling for higher SPL toward the top of the array by making it a "J" or progressive curvature and you can't get enough elements to use gain shading to much advantage.

As Robert said, a marketing success.  It looks like a line array, it is compact, it is lightweight, it is relatively inexpensive. Unfortunately, in my experience, not the right choice (for anything) from an audio perspective.

Lee

What, you already have enough noise-making door stops in your shop?   :o
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 12:34:20 AM »

What, you already have enough noise-making door stops in your shop?   :o

After a couple of years of indoctrination around here on the low performance of dash arrays when I ended up taking four DB Tech T4's instead of my 153's to an event this weekend I was ready for awful.

The fact I was able to get them up 10' on a pair of Global stands made up for any of the sins of the boxes.  They sounded nice, easily outran the KW153's and didn't behave anywhere near as badly as I had thought they would.  They were a little harsh on the top end and for the same money I have no doubt an SM80 and a Nimrod tilter would have achieved the same effect.  They were all I could rent without getting a trailer last weekend.  The customer was pleased too.

I certainly wouldn't spend $8000.00 on them, as was said a major triumph for the marketers.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 02:27:19 AM »

After a couple of years of indoctrination around here on the low performance of dash arrays when I ended up taking four DB Tech T4's instead of my 153's to an event this weekend I was ready for awful.

The fact I was able to get them up 10' on a pair of Global stands made up for any of the sins of the boxes.  They sounded nice, easily outran the KW153's and didn't behave anywhere near as badly as I had thought they would.  They were a little harsh on the top end and for the same money I have no doubt an SM80 and a Nimrod tilter would have achieved the same effect.  They were all I could rent without getting a trailer last weekend.  The customer was pleased too.

I certainly wouldn't spend $8000.00 on them, as was said a major triumph for the marketers.

I have "one of THOSE clients" that wants dash arrays and is willing to (mostly) pay the premium cost.  We have 32 T4 in inventory and I must say it paid out almost faster than anything I've spent the boss's money on (the fastest was the EV xW15 monitors).

A really harsh top end usually means the little EQ switch on the back is set wrong for the deployment.  There's something funny around 4kHz, too, that's present at all drive levels and all deployments.  I suspect it's a horn resonance...

But it's possible to have a good show on them, and if you can hang an actual line (about 12 boxes) the T4 really comes together.

edit ps:  nobody pays $2k for them... or shouldn't have...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:26:38 AM »

An easy way to deploy point and shoot speakers? Certainly not a "linr array"
That said, I have used them in a number of configurations and they can be reasonably effective.
Did a conference in a wide and high convention room with 4 hangs of 4.
2 top boxes of each hang, then the 3rd box and the 4th box were all on separate outs from the console to allow for some control. (3 outs total)
Worked OK but the low mid lobe was hard to avoid.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »

Yeah, see KLA, VRX. In the case of VRX, it's a 15° per box fixed angle of coverage. Add another box, 30°. 3 boxes, 45°. Keep on going. Try not to exceed 6 boxes (90°).

In our case, our VRX boxes go out alot and are great for small to medium sized events-- they're another tool in the tool box.

-Ray

Ray,

Let me preface my question by saying the best sounding local rig I've heard to date was (2) 932s over (3) 918s per side at a local firehall dance. It was being run by a guy with 30+ years in the business so that might have something to do with it sounding so good.

I know from previous posts you've made that you get a lot of use out of your VRX system. What is the real world advantage you find sending these out over a traditional top? Do they sound that superior to other boxes you have or is it just that clients are wiling to pay more for you to bring these out?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.