ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose 802 II  (Read 17168 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Bose 802 II
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »

I'm surprised no-one else has said it. Its Bose. Throw it in the bin.

This thread has a Bose speaker system powered by a Peavey amp....

And we're done....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »

The Powerbrite's breaker is 10amps and some idiot has screwed it up before by trying to pry the thing out with his fingernail, I had to open up the breaker to fold the metal thing back into shape.

Only other thing on the powerbrite is the Spirit fx16, the bose controller and a slx4 receiver.

On a side note, the amp does make a humming noise that is quite audible under no load (plugged in by itself to the wall with nothing else plugged in)

I read somewhere that the 802's use 360w and the CS1000X delivers 300w at 8ohm, maybe I'm mistaken? ._.

Professional? Hah. They ain't gonna give us budget for that, I'll have to figure out everything on my own. (with help from the internet)

I might try to connect just the highs tomorrow morning but I do like the bass these speakers can output :( (on that note, do you think it's possible to connect the lows to my JBL JRX118SP's?)

I'm pretty sure it was on full range, the only other higher powered amp we have is a Tapco Juice 1400 on my main system powering JRX112's.

Just check the manual on each, they are both available online. TBH if the 1000x is know the be "working" and the 800x's power cord has been cut I have even less faith that the 800x will be in any better shape.

The fact that you had to bend a "metal thing" back into place just made me lose trust in the powerbright as well which wasn't very high to start off with since it's a samson product. You are probably better off plugging that amp straight into the wall.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Chang Yang Min

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »

I'm surprised no-one else has said it. Its Bose. Throw it in the bin.

C'mon man, I don't have enough budget to be throwing away speakers :(

Just check the manual on each, they are both available online. TBH if the 1000x is know the be "working" and the 800x's power cord has been cut I have even less faith that the 800x will be in any better shape.

The fact that you had to bend a "metal thing" back into place just made me lose trust in the powerbright as well which wasn't very high to start off with since it's a samson product. You are probably better off plugging that amp straight into the wall.

Eh I was suspecting the samson's circuit breaker to be tripping prematurely, I'll see if the amp works off the wall later.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »

C'mon man, I don't have enough budget to be throwing away speakers :(

Eh I was suspecting the samson's circuit breaker to be tripping prematurely, I'll see if the amp works off the wall later.

Hope you get it working, I have a few unbalanced, probably home made amps laying in my store room that I use as line drivers or headphone amps from time to time. Don't chuck something because it is possibly crap, chuck it if it is beyond repair.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Chang Yang Min

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »

Hope you get it working, I have a few unbalanced, probably home made amps laying in my store room that I use as line drivers or headphone amps from time to time. Don't chuck something because it is possibly crap, chuck it if it is beyond repair.

Hey thanks for your advice man, really appreciate it, I'll report back later :)

Doug.Jane

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »

Hey thanks for your advice man, really appreciate it, I'll report back later :)
Anything made by Bose is not a speaker, its an embarassment.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

Anything made by Bose is not a speaker, its an embarassment.
No argument from me there.  But the OP didn't select or buy these.  He found them in a situation he works with and is trying to see if he can get them to work.  It's all about learning and getting experience with as much different equipment as possible.  In that way you can learn where different equipment's strong and weak points are.  At least he is trying to use the controller.  I don't know how many times I've seen people just try to plug these things in and wonder why it doesn't sound any good.  Or worse, think that because it's a name they may hold in some esteem that the sound they hear is how it's supposed to be.

duane massey

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 10:59:51 PM »

The BIG red flag for me (if I understand correctly) is that the amp is making a loud noise by itself. That could be a precursor to a bad event. If the amp's protection is not tripping, then I would definitely eliminate the Samson from the equation.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »

Also, if someone cut the cord off the other amplifier, it probably means you shouldn't use it, because it probably has internal problems.

I vote for copper harvesting..

Bose 802'a are famous for low sensitivity AND low power handling. Really an ideal pro applications combo, no?

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »

This thread has a Bose speaker system powered by a Peavey amp....

Hey, if I had Bose speakers and a Peavey amp when I was in high school (40 years ago), I'd be in heaven.  ;)

Part of the reason for the harsh responses may be that Chang posted in the "Big Guy" forum, where everybody is supposed to be professionals, rather than the more appropriate LAB Lounge.  I'm sure the thread will get moved at some point.

A few observations:

The CS 1000X is a "big iron" amp, that will pull a fairly high current for a short time when it is turned on.  That is likely why the power strip breaker trips.  Plug it directly into the wall.  It has its own circuit breaker that will protect the wiring from an internal fault that might exist.

It's not clear exactly which controller you have (but at least you have a controller, unlike the people who try to make a Bose sound like a speaker without one!), but if it's the half rack version with all 1/4" outputs, any mode switching is done with the 1/4" jacks themselves.  Just plug into the two inputs from the mixer, and then the high outputs to the amp.  If it's the rack mount (802C II) version with XLR outputs, there is a mode switch which will have to be set.

The two outputs from the controller need to go to the CH A and CH B inputs.  In the initial post it seems that both outputs were connected to the same input.  There is quite a selection of 1/4" jacks on the CS1000X's input panel.  Make sure you have the correct ones.  It's not hard to find the manual on line, and I think they have the block diagram silk screened on the top of the amp too for quick reference.  If you don't have any dummy plugs in there, you can't use the XLR inputs.

Bose speakers, at the best of times, sound like, well Bose speakers.  The 802s spray sound all over the place, with plenty of interaction between all those identical drivers.  They also can't get very loud, but I've heard plenty of folkie acts through them that sounded more than acceptable in the right environment.  I've also been involved in an installation where they were absolutely the wrong product, but they met spec, and wound up being installed anyway. 

Blowing them up is unlikely.  There is a fuse inside which will blow before the cones are damaged.  This information came from a friend of mine who used a few dozen of them at a university AV department.  They drove them with QSC MX1500 amplifiers, and found that when loaded to 4 ohms and run into the limiters, the amps could not supply enough voltage to blow the fuses.  At only 8 ohms a side (one box per amp channel), they could blow the fuses if they really tried, but still never lost any drivers.

The loud hum from the amp is likely just power transformer laminations that have loosened up over the years (the amp is probably older than the OP).  As long it's not audible over the performance, it shouldn't be a problem.  OTOH, if there is hum in the speakers when connected to the amp, that's a problem. 

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.