ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 questions: EAW FR153z and Yamaha SM12V + Crown  (Read 2396 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
2 questions: EAW FR153z and Yamaha SM12V + Crown
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »

I volunteer as the "sound guy" for a small series of house concerts/basement shows. Neither the host nor I make any money on the shows - 100% of the money goes to the artist(s); it's a labor of love.

I recently upgraded the old PA with a bunch of "new" gear that I purchased (combination of brand new + some Craigslist scores). I have a small fantasy of starting a small audio production company on the side (or at least that's how I justified my purchases).

Venue:
- Basement of a ranch-style house
- Approximately 1000-square feet with 8-foot open ceiling
- Seats around 55-people
- I've done 93 shows there in 2 years (with old PA)
- Some major acts (Baseball Project, Minus 5, Robbie Fulks, Waco Brothers, Jon Dee Graham, Kevin Kinney, etc)
- Primarily Americana/folk/alt rock
- Try to keep total volume to 95db or less (some acts have ridiculously loud stage volume (e.g., The Figgs, The Bottle Rockets, Dressy Bessy)...

Old PA:
- Soundcraft EFX12 (donated by someone; really old, with various issues on channels)
- Crown XLS 1000 for monitor
- Crown XLS 1500 for mains
- dbx 231 EQ (mono mains, mono monitor)
- Mains: 2-way JBL JRX100 (15" + horn); on poles, horns at 7' high
- Monitor: old Yamaha BR15M

I had my work cut out for me with the old system, but finally got it EQ'd well enough that it sounded really solid. That said, I bought the following gear and ran my first show with it last night:

- Behringer AIR X18R (new)
- EAW FR153z for mains; on poles, mid/tweet at 6' high (used)
- 2 Yamaha SM12V monitors (new)
- 1 QSC PLX3602 for mains; running in stereo (used)
- 1 Crown XLS1502 for monitors; running in stereo (2 feeds) (new)
- 8 Mics: primarily Beta 58As and SM57s (all new)

** I've never run "rock" shows with a non-horn PA... The venue is so small that I don't need subs (for now), and I do try to keep levels well below 100dB. Last night's show was 80dB. That said, I will purchase subs if my fantasy comes to light and I FOH at small bars, etc.

** I spent 3 weeks configuring/testing/burning-in the system at home prior to the first show. Primarily playing music through mains/monitors and setting-up a mock stage with mics and DIs so as to understand the mixer's software.

My questions:

1) How concerned to I need to be about the resiliency of the mid/high drivers in the FR153z? Those old JBLs could take a beating, and I didn't care about them, but I want to be careful with the EAWs. I have the PLX3602 configured to "FULL" and "33Hz cut" with the Clip Limiter Switch set to "on." Gain is set to just under 50%.

At this venue, I'll be totally safe in 99% of the scenarios; just thinking about using them outside of this small place, and with bands that will be more dynamic/heavy/loud.

I've been to a ton of shows that use KW153s; they get stupid loud... Wondering how the FR153z compares in terms of taking abuse.

2) When setting-up and EQ'ing the SM12Vs on the old XLS1500, the XLS1500 went into "thermal" mode, and one of the SM12Vs was shutting itself off. I didn't have major feedback, but there was a bit of a ring (well under 1-second) in the 1.6kHz range.

After the feedback ring, the entire monitor sounded static-like (both horn and woofer) and channel 1 of the amp (channel this speaker was on) would thermal light/cut off when I passed music through it at anything above -30dB on the Aux In fader.

When the feedback occurred, the Crown was configured in stereo, no filters, with gains at about 60%. The Behringer was sending a single mic feed at -3dB with the Bus feed at -3dB as well. EQ was largely flat; dip in the 300Hz and 1.5kHz ranges.

I disconnected that speaker, set it aside, and only ran one SM12V for last night's show, on channel 2 of the Crown. At the end of the night, I re-connected the wonky SM12V to channel 1, and all was fine. Are the SM12Vs that sensitive? The feedback was incredibly minimal and very brief. Not sure why the speaker/amp got so upset.

Notes:
- The sound quality of those FR153zs with the PLX3602 is unreal. Never had such clarity before.
- The Behringer seems like a solid mixer. I can't wait to really sort it out and get the most from it.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:48:22 AM by Steve Litscher »

Tom Burgess

Re: 2 questions: EAW FR153z and Yamaha SM12V + Crown
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »

....When the feedback occurred, the Crown was configured in stereo, no filters, with gains at about 60%. The Behringer was sending a single mic feed at -3dB with the Bus feed at -3dB as well. EQ was largely flat; dip in the 300Hz and 1.5kHz ranges.

I disconnected that speaker, set it aside, and only ran one SM12V for last night's show, on channel 2 of the Crown. At the end of the night, I re-connected the wonky SM12V to channel 1, and all was fine. Are the SM12Vs that sensitive? The feedback was incredibly minimal and very brief. Not sure why the speaker/amp got so upset. Our old XLS1000 and BR15M saw a lot worse...
Wonky cable or wonky 1502, perhaps?  The feedback may well have been coincidental and one of those perfectly timed gremlins that throws you off the trail of the actual culprit.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: 2 questions: EAW FR153z and Yamaha SM12V + Crown
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.