ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sixty killed by lightning in 2 days  (Read 3699 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Sixty killed by lightning in 2 days
« on: May 14, 2016, 06:38:03 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/05/14/more-than-60-killed-by-lightning-in-bangladesh-in-two-days.html?intcmp=hpbt3

This is a timely "headsup" with the summer fair/festival season upon us.  While I don't think holding a cell phone increases the danger as the article insinuates, sitting at FOH with power/speaker/mic lines radiating all directions would certainly tend to make you a target.  Given the normal mindset that "the show must go on" make sure have a contingency plan-at least thought through.

Steve Swaffer

Cailen Waddell

Re: Sixty killed by lightning in 2 days
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »

+1

Have a plan.  Have a designated human as a weather monitor.  Empower that person to make decisions.  Provide the weather monitor with the appropriate services and data to make sound decisions. 

Don't allow financial decisions to enter in the conversation, safety should be the only factor. 

Locally we were lucky when the Beyoncé concert was here...  I plugged the venue (even though I have nothing to do with it) into our weather monitoring service, and evacuation calls were made far too late based upon lighting strike monitoring for my comfort.  They were very lucky the severe storms didn't injure anyone. 

Fwiw - we use an 15 and 8 mile lighting bubble.  The goal being once in the 15 mile bubble, evacuations should start.  By the time lightning is in the 8 mile bubble evacuations should be complete.  Lightning should fully exit the 15 mile bubble before activity resumes...

We also have wind bubbles programmed at different speeds dependent upon the venue, tents, staging, etc. 

All alarm trips send alerts to staff phones registered, and the phone software bypasses silent settings on your phone.  It's most excellent.

Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »

+1

Have a plan.  Have a designated human as a weather monitor.  Empower that person to make decisions.  Provide the weather monitor with the appropriate services and data to make sound decisions. 

Don't allow financial decisions to enter in the conversation, safety should be the only factor. 

Locally we were lucky when the Beyoncé concert was here...  I plugged the venue (even though I have nothing to do with it) into our weather monitoring service, and evacuation calls were made far too late based upon lighting strike monitoring for my comfort.  They were very lucky the severe storms didn't injure anyone. 

Fwiw - we use an 15 and 8 mile lighting bubble.  The goal being once in the 15 mile bubble, evacuations should start.  By the time lightning is in the 8 mile bubble evacuations should be complete.  Lightning should fully exit the 15 mile bubble before activity resumes...

We also have wind bubbles programmed at different speeds dependent upon the venue, tents, staging, etc. 

All alarm trips send alerts to staff phones registered, and the phone software bypasses silent settings on your phone.  It's most excellent.

Be safe.

Please tell me more about this weather monitoring service.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38:27 AM »

Please tell me more about this weather monitoring service.

We use a product called mxvision weather sentry.  We have the public safety edition, and an enterprise subscription.  I'm not sure what the costs are but you can get a free 7 day trial on their site.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »

We use a product called mxvision weather sentry.  We have the public safety edition, and an enterprise subscription.  I'm not sure what the costs are but you can get a free 7 day trial on their site.

Following up for anyone interested.  Here is a screenshot of the iPhone app with alert rings, KBA is our amphitheater and we have a NC symphony concert going on right now....

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

Following up for anyone interested.  Here is a screenshot of the iPhone app with alert rings, KBA is our amphitheater and we have a NC symphony concert going on right now....

That's pretty cool stuff! I live about a half mile from Koka Booth. We got pounded with rain a couple times last night. I didn't notice any lightning but I stayed inside

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »

That's pretty cool stuff! I live about a half mile from Koka Booth. We got pounded with rain a couple times last night. I didn't notice any lightning but I stayed inside

There was extensive lightning, although none within 3 miles of the facility.  Our guidelines is lightning within 3 miles of an outdoor facility triggers an Evac to vehicles for the public and starts a 30 minute timer.  Each subsequent strike within 8 miles of the facility resets the 30 minute timer...

Closest we got was 5.64 miles.

Obviously if there was a storm headed in and it was obvious it wouldn't miss us we could/would make weather decisions earlier. 

The good weather policies really float over from athletics who deal with weather far more often than cultural arts.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

There was extensive lightning, although none within 3 miles of the facility.  Our guidelines is lightning within 3 miles of an outdoor facility triggers an Evac to vehicles for the public and starts a 30 minute timer.  Each subsequent strike within 8 miles of the facility resets the 30 minute timer...

Closest we got was 5.64 miles.

Obviously if there was a storm headed in and it was obvious it wouldn't miss us we could/would make weather decisions earlier. 

The good weather policies really float over from athletics who deal with weather far more often than cultural arts.

This is one of those things that you never realize is going on behind the scenes, but it makes total sense to have it. I remember back in the day we used to count the seconds after seeing lightning until we heard the thunder, to try to estimate how far away it was. I suspect your method is a little more accurate.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.