ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx driverack 260 vs venue 360  (Read 19127 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: dbx driverack 260 vs venue 360
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

I just downloaded the DR 360 windows program. I don’t think it is up to the same standards as the Driveware software for the 260. I sure hope this thing sounds more like the 4800 then the 260 though.

It doesn't.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »

It doesn't.

Is it better than the 260 at least? Do you like the 360 or not and how does it sound compared to the 260 or 4800?

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »

Do you know if there is a way to port your 260 settings to the 360?

Took a quick look at the owners manual and I don't see any mention of that.  My guess is that the two units accomplish things in different ways and that customized settings files wouldn't transfer.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »

Took a quick look at the owners manual and I don't see any mention of that.  My guess is that the two units accomplish things in different ways and that customized settings files wouldn't transfer.

Dave

(That I could tell) not only that, but transferring programs via email or USB drives is not possible.  I like the 360.  At least as good sonically as the 260, but more powerful. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »

Kev

Is it better than the 260 at least? Do you like the 360 or not and how does it sound compared to the 260 or 4800?

Kevin,
The 360 does in fact have better features and is a more capable DSP than the 260. One of those features is the ability to support the newer line of JBLs cabinets. However, you can't move presets from a 260 to a 360, or can you move presets from either of those over to a 4800, or 4820. Your best bet with either is to visit the JBL site and download the latest speaker tunings for the product you have.

The 4800 and it's sibling the 4820 are still considered dbx top of the line processors, even though the 4800 is no longer manufactured. To be more specific, according to my mole at dbx the 4800 production was stopped solely because the color display became redundant with the influx of remote control via laptops and other devices. There is no difference in features or capability. And as far as I have been told there are no current replacements for the 4820 on the immediate horizon.

The question of sound quality is subjective of course, but I can certainly say that there was a big difference in sound between the 260's I owned, the 480's I've owned, and the 4800. No comparison, hands down. I've worked with the 360 and for it's cost I would place it very high on the low cost DSP list. They're a very well made DSP with plenty of horsepower, and plenty of files available for not only JBL and Crown products, but for other manufacturers as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:51:16 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 11:17:06 PM »

Kevin,
The 360 does in fact have better features and is a more capable DSP than the 260. One of those features is the ability to support the newer line of JBLs cabinets. However, you can't move presets from a 260 to a 360, or can you move presets from either of those over to a 4800, or 4820. Your best bet with either is to visit the JBL site and download the latest speaker tunings for the product you have.

The 4800 and it's sibling the 4820 are still considered dbx top of the line processors, even though the 4800 is no longer manufactured. To be more specific, according to my mole at dbx the 4800 production was stopped solely because the color display became redundant with the influx of remote control via laptops and other devices. There is no difference in features or capability. And as far as I have been told there are no current replacements for the 4820 on the immediate horizon.

The question of sound quality is subjective of course, but I can certainly say that there was a big difference in sound between the 260's I owned, the 480's I've owned, and the 4800. No comparison, hands down. I've worked with the 360 and for it's cost I would place it very high on the low cost DSP list. They're a very well made DSP with plenty of horsepower, and plenty of files available for not only JBL and Crown products, but for other manufacturers as well.
Great info.  Thanks Bob.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »

Kevin,

Thank you very much for that information. I usually get to choose which DSP I work with so I will probably stay with the 4800 for the jobs I do as I have been for a while now. I will probably be asked at some point to get the settings into the 360 so I guess it will just take some time to replicate them. I will do it manually and then probably use SMAART to make them match as close as I can.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »

The 360 also has AES/EBU inputs for 5? channels.
This lets me stay digital from my SC Performer, through the Mini stagebox to the 360.
I also frees up all eight of the SB analog outs for monitors.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »

Venue 360 > Dbx 260
It was like night and day on my system...
Control wise the routing is a little different so you will have to get used to the difference between the two.

Only other con is that the 360 almost has to reboot anytime you do a configuration change. Means that you are without audio for a few seconds until then.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

Thanks everyone for their input.

Venue 360 > Dbx 260
It was like night and day on my system...
Control wise the routing is a little different so you will have to get used to the difference between the two.

Only other con is that the 360 almost has to reboot anytime you do a configuration change. Means that you are without audio for a few seconds until then.

Interesting... so, if I make a xover change (i.e. sweep up or down on a low-pass), during a live show, and save the change, the audio will mute till the change is saved? 

Any experience on the muting while switching to another saved setting during a live show?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.